Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV - Cabin Climate Control

ernieb

As there have been a few questions about the PHEV in recent posts I thought I might post this giving some photos of the MyT app screen to use the Climate Control. I used this today before going out whilst the car was still connected to the ‘granny cable’ and the standard 240v 10A supply. When configured like this the car will use the tethered supply rather than the stored energy in the traction Battery.

The first photo shows the MyT app Home page the climate control is the ‘button’ with the fan icon. This is grey when the climate control is off and black and rotating when it’s on. The sequence last for 20 mins after starting. Once selected the app will open another page where you can select the set temperature and switch on the front and rear heating if required. The temperature can be set to cool in the summer and heat in the winter. Once set and the Turn On button is selected the app will contact the car to operate the car internal systems. The app will give you an option to continue using the app whilst it completes the connection process. If you then select the rotating fan icon ‘button’ from the Home page, once the car has started the schedule, the app will open another page and it will look something like the third photo. This shows the count down timer, set temperature and if selected the front and rear heaters (red on grey off)

Hope it’s of some use?

55FAC901-BE7F-4B58-8768-999CE7C339A8.jpeg

D667BC4E-37B4-406A-945E-E533D8A6B7ED.jpeg

664E1B74-268A-4176-AC1E-65FF9D4A2234.jpeg

• Like 2

If you're plugged in, but you have the car's charge timer in use (eg. start charging at a certain time - so the car is not actually taking any power from the plug) - do you know if the climate control will take power from the plug, or from the car's traction Battery at this point? ie. is it clever enough to override the charge timer and draw power from the plug?

Sorry, don’t know the answer to that one. I always set the traction Battery charge to be ready at a certain time and let the car work out when to start taking the charge. That said, the system will work even if you are not connected to a charging cable so will happily perform the cabin conditioning from the traction Battery. So my guess is it will take the power from whatever source is available maybe stop the charge and condition the cabin?

You can set up a cabin conditioning schedule to be available at a time you want in the same way as setting the charging schedule. I’ve never used it but I think if you started out for work at a set time every day it would be very useful so the traction Battery would be 100% and the cabin warm or cool as required.

Funnily enough only stumbled on this today. Had used the other way of setting.

(It might be in the manual - but life's too short 😂

Edited by Lawnmowerman
Added info.

Yes, Ernie - that's exactly what I do - have the car set to be charged by a certain time, and also have the climate control set to heat the car for a certain time. However, particularly at the weekends, I'll be leaving at a none-standard time, so warm up the car by switching on via the app. The car is plugged in and fully charged (so the charge timer has now switched off) - the question is whether the car will reactivate the external connection for the heating at this point.

Sorry can't answer this either for sure. I suspect the only way would be to have an energy monitor on the supply. You could try smart meter data but I suspect it's too little draw to be noticeable against other household use.

You could try one of those plug in smart plug monitors that go between the socket and the charger 3 pin plug. I'd check it was suitable for the high load (around 10 amps) and if it's outside, only do it temporarily on a dry day as I don't think there are many weatherproof ones.

I don't have a PHEV so clearly don't know, but if I were a betting man I'd expect that the preconditioning always runs off the traction Battery - because it always can. And then, if you happen to be plugged in and within a charge cycle, the traction Battery would be immediately and automatically replenished ...

... but I'm not a betting man ... 😉

2 hours ago, spicyhotone said:

Yes, Ernie - that's exactly what I do - have the car set to be charged by a certain time, and also have the climate control set to heat the car for a certain time. However, particularly at the weekends, I'll be leaving at a none-standard time, so warm up the car by switching on via the app. The car is plugged in and fully charged (so the charge timer has now switched off) - the question is whether the car will reactivate the external connection for the heating at this point.

I’ve tested mine, fully charged traction Battery and it takes the power from the cable for 20 mins for the cabin conditioning, the displayed EV range was also exactly as expected no change. It’s a great feature to have as I’m sure it adds a couple of miles to the range that would otherwise be lost.

This feature is turning out to be a big plus for the PHEV and as I’ve said before works especially well in the summer heat to cool the car.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 2:34 PM, ernieb said:

As there have been a few questions about the PHEV in recent posts I thought I might post this giving some photos of the MyT app screen to use the Climate Control. I used this today before going out whilst the car was still connected to the ‘granny cable’ and the standard 240v 10A supply. When configured like this the car will use the tethered supply rather than the stored energy in the traction battery.

The first photo shows the MyT app Home page the climate control is the ‘button’ with the fan icon. This is grey when the climate control is off and black and rotating when it’s on. The sequence last for 20 mins after starting. Once selected the app will open another page where you can select the set temperature and switch on the front and rear heating if required. The temperature can be set to cool in the summer and heat in the winter. Once set and the Turn On button is selected the app will contact the car to operate the car internal systems. The app will give you an option to continue using the app whilst it completes the connection process. If you then select the rotating fan icon ‘button’ from the Home page, once the car has started the schedule, the app will open another page and it will look something like the third photo. This shows the count down timer, set temperature and if selected the front and rear heaters (red on grey off)

Hope it’s of some use?

Use it all the time now. If it is freezing and I'm out but coming back to the car in 15 minutes I use the remote fob too just to switch on the AC. Keeps the ice off and nice and warm when getting back in.

Forgot to use it yesterday and went out to travel to Inverness at 12 noon. Big mistake - car was frozen (1 degree) and had to get the scraper out 😔.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Forgot to use it yesterday and went out to travel to Inverness at 12 noon. Big mistake - car was frozen (1 degree) and had to get the scraper out 😔.

It does remind you of the benefit that the functionality gives you.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 2:34 PM, ernieb said:

As there have been a few questions about the PHEV in recent posts I thought I might post this giving some photos of the MyT app screen to use the Climate Control. I used this today before going out whilst the car was still connected to the ‘granny cable’ and the standard 240v 10A supply. When configured like this the car will use the tethered supply rather than the stored energy in the traction battery.

Hope it’s of some use?

Don’t know what I’m missing, as I can’t  get that button to show (Nor the charge percentage). Just get petrol percentage & range. I’ve got a charging schedule set up based on start time.

34 minutes ago, Vogit said:

Don’t know what I’m missing, as I can’t  get that button to show (Nor the charge percentage). Just get petrol percentage & range. I’ve got a charging schedule set up based on start time.

Seems odd. It looks like you're in a PHEV so it should be the same. Can you post a screenshot?

5 minutes ago, nlee said:

Seems odd. It looks like you're in a PHEV so it should be the same. Can you post a screenshot?

Hi, yes PHEV. Here's a screenshot:

IMG_275F3CCFAC0F-1.jpeg

David, it looks like it thinks your car is a HEV rather than a PHEV. Have you tried signing out and then logging back in? Have you logged into the Toyota web site and looked at the display and setting in the My car section this should show the type of car just to make sure it’s logged as a PHEV.  It seems very strange if it still does not responf]d I’d contact the dealer or Toyota UK.

David, you could also try uninstalling the app and then re logging into your account that might well fix it, there have been some strange things happening with the MyT app over the last couple of days. If you have the latest version when you open the app there should be an animated Christmas tree and snow falling over the car image yours photo does not seem to have that. Maybe first try to update the app?

46 minutes ago, ernieb said:

David, it looks like it thinks your car is a HEV rather than a PHEV. Have you tried signing out and then logging back in? Have you logged into the Toyota web site and looked at the display and setting in the My car section this should show the type of car just to make sure it’s logged as a PHEV.  It seems very strange if it still does not responf]d I’d contact the dealer or Toyota UK.

40 minutes ago, ernieb said:

David, you could also try uninstalling the app and then re logging into your account that might well fix it, there have been some strange things happening with the MyT app over the last couple of days. If you have the latest version when you open the app there should be an animated Christmas tree and snow falling over the car image yours photo does not seem to have that. Maybe first try to update the app?

Thanks! I’ve  definitely got the snowflake version, but the behaviour hasn’t changed, and the website shows the correct car. 
I’ll try un- and re- installing the app.

Only additional suggestion I could make is to click on the connected services button and make sure it says activated in there. I presume you have linked to the multimedia system in the app too. It's showing the last location of the car so it's obviously talking to it but there maybe additional functionality that needs activation. This is how that page looks on mine....

Screenshot_20211215-130024.thumb.png.fb29b4de229041a1cdfdede33eb67867.png

7 hours ago, nlee said:

Only additional suggestion I could make is to click on the connected services button and make sure it says activated in there. I presume you have linked to the multimedia system in the app too. It's showing the last location of the car so it's obviously talking to it but there maybe additional functionality that needs activation. This is how that page looks on mine....

Screenshot_20211215-130024.thumb.png.fb29b4de229041a1cdfdede33eb67867.png

Yes, that’s what mine shows, and the multimedia system is linked. I’ve deleted the app & reinstalled, no joy. I’ve contacted Toyota app support, awaiting reply…

7 minutes ago, Vogit said:

Yes, that’s what mine shows, and the multimedia system is linked. I’ve deleted the app & reinstalled, no joy. I’ve contacted Toyota app support, awaiting reply…

Hope you get it sorted asap.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ernieb said:

Hope you get it sorted asap.

I think it’s all good now. I tried deactivating and then reactivating connected services. Everything has gradually appeared over the course  of a few hours. Much relieved! (No reply from Toyota, though).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vogit said:

I think it’s all good now. I tried deactivating and then reactivating connected services. Everything has gradually appeared over the course  of a few hours. Much relieved! (No reply from Toyota, though).

Great news, glad you got it sorted.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect - i’m on the new Mytoyota app for my 2021 plug in rav, i can set the climate running which is great but got no option to schedule climate which is rather annoying… is this a limitation of the new app or something i’m doing wrong!?

• 4 weeks later...

Ive tried to preheat / climate control our PHEV without connecting to a chargingpost and with the traction Battery empty but that does not work.

Preheat/climate control with traction Battery charged, but no cord attached to charging post and that works perfect.

Think that (Ive heard) 12v Battery is charged when climate control is on and the charging cord are out.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links