Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What tyres are fitted to the RAV4 Excel AWD?

AnApeNamedJoe

1 hour ago, Flatcoat said:

Without the 3 peaks symbol it will almost certain not be recognised in EUlandia as a winter or all season tyre. Might be worth finding out what they fit on German/Austrian and Scandinavian bound cars and if the same if it is accepted for winter use. 

If no 3 peaks, in France, at least, it's not a winter tyre. The "All season" tyre designation doesn't mean anything in particular. As far as I can tell, even all season tyre with the 3 peaks logo, is accepted as a winter tyre, but is not truly a winter tyre. I had a brief exchange with Nokian, they have a 3peak/All season tyre, they said it was not as good in winter conditions.

In words a couple of days of snow per year, and you are going to be OK with 3peak/All season, but if you are going where there's going to be deep snow you need a 3peak/winter tyre. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I have Grandtrek PT but I can only find ST on the usual UK sites.

The difference is whoever owns the Dunlop brand where the tyres are fitted. Dunlop was part of a joint venture between Sumitomo and Goodyear, which was dissolved around 2014. In Asia, Africa and South America, Sumitomo owns the Dunlop brand, whereas in Europe, Goodyear owns the Dunlop brand. As the UK Rav4's are built in Japan, the Sumitomo Dunlop tyres were a standard fitment for a while.

The Dunlop Grandtrek PT is a Sumitomo 'Dunlop branded' tyre and the Dunlop Grandtrek ST a Goodyear 'Dunlop branded' tyre, and are different tyres. As far I'm aware, Sumitomo withdrew from the European market when the Joint Venture ended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Hev AWD Excel came with Toyo Proxes in April 2021. I saw one in the Toyota showroom 2 weeks ago with the same tyre. 

I had those on my cx5 diesel, they were good tyres and lasted well too.

For UK use I refuse to drive on a C-rated wet performance tyres like Toyota insist on fitting, there is a world of difference between an A rated and C in real life. When my new one comes next year even though its on lease and they pay for the tyres I will have to go to a tyre depot and have them changed at my own expense. I do too many miles and it rains too much here to sit on budget tyres. 

On 12/3/2021 at 12:18 PM, Saxacat said:

Mine came with Toyo fitted.

same for me - October 2021 delivery

Mine came fitted with Toyo Proxes as well.

Took it off road Friday on a wet grass field uphill , and with the trail activated it didn't missed a beat...