Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Michelins on 2.0 Excel.

shufman

Hi all, 

So I’ve taken the plunge and had 4 new Primacy 4’s fitted and I’m just sharing my thoughts after a day or so driving around ..

Overall they are generally noticeably quieter and comparing noise readings (iPhone 12) there’s 1-2 db difference over all road surfaces which is good news as they weren’t cheap! 
To my ear they a lot quieter on rougher surfaces, not reacting as much to the worm out tarmac so making the car much more relaxed at speed. There’s still plenty of noise but it’s not as dominant as before - I can hear the stereo better and I’m always travelling about 10 mph quicker than I think for the levels of noise I’m hearing. 

So overall money well spent I think. Plus they look good! 

23F8BB14-8EC0-48FE-B916-D08C0FEBC8AB.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I've always shied away from Michies as they're always at the top end of the price scale! But they do say you get what you pay for, and apparently the tyres still perform as they wear down, whereas the tyres I tend to buy you get a noticeable change in characteristics as they wear down (Usually much worse performance on wet/slippery surfaces, but slightly improved dry grip!)

Be interested to hear how you get on with them!

Good news that the Michelins have reduced the noise inside the car. Thanks a lot for the info.

3 hours ago, shufman said:

Hi all, 

So I’ve taken the plunge and had 4 new Primacy 4’s fitted and I’m just sharing my thoughts after a day or so driving around ..

Overall they are generally noticeably quieter and comparing noise readings (iPhone 12) there’s 1-2 db difference over all road surfaces which is good news as they weren’t cheap! 
To my ear they a lot quieter on rougher surfaces, not reacting as much to the worm out tarmac so making the car much more relaxed at speed. There’s still plenty of noise but it’s not as dominant as before - I can hear the stereo better and I’m always travelling about 10 mph quicker than I think for the levels of noise I’m hearing. 

Do you have a 1.8 or 2.0 model?

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah I've always shied away from Michies as they're always at the top end of the price scale! But they do say you get what you pay for, and apparently the tyres still perform as they wear down, whereas the tyres I tend to buy you get a noticeable change in characteristics as they wear down (Usually much worse performance on wet/slippery surfaces, but slightly improved dry grip!)

Be interested to hear how you get on with them!

They are an expensive brand. But when you consider how they can genuinely outlast, outperform and provide a better experience compared to many other not-a-lot-cheaper alternatives, I would say they're one of the best value for money choices on the market.

• Like 4

Got the 2.0 Miguel 

6 hours ago, mjjferreira said:

Do you have a 1.8 or 2.0 model?

I do think you get what you pay for, had them before on the old Corolla and they were great and lasted ages!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, shufman said:

Got the 2.0 Miguel 

2.0 models are usually better sound isolated and even so, the car lets so much noise get in.

i don't get why the corolla is poor on sound proofing. One of the new key points of the new TNGA platform is exatcly that...better sound proofing!

• Like 1

Michelins used to be long lasting,but my crossclimate's seem to be wearing quicker and new tread depth is not as much as OEM,still they are quieter.  Dont mind some wear,better than scrapping with most of tread left but out of date life.

• Like 1

Always go for Michelin Energy savers green X on my Volvo 240 when I had it for 10 years and current 1996 Volvo 940. Never a puncture or issues.

Volvo on Goodyear ultra grip 9 winter tyres.

Auris on Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2. Good tyre, grip well and more quiet than the original Continental Eco 6's.

James.👍

• Like 2

Michelin does one of the best tyres in all categories, that is no argument here. Sometimes they are a bit pricey but if found on offer they are alway a good choice. If not possible then Goodyear comes to my mind immediately afterwards. 
Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 are probably one of the quietest touring tyres available. The more they wear down the quieter they become, and here is the reason why many new car tyres has less depth in their threads when new.,  less road noise. There are three important things that make car tyres quieter, rubber softness, space between thread patterns, and thread patterns shape. Here it’s my breaking of gy egp 2 worn out after some time been used. This can help eventually anyone looking for a tyre replacement and understand better what makes tyres quieter. 👍

55C374A1-548E-430E-9DB0-EC1920E3243E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Michelin does one of the best tyres in all categories, that is no argument here. Sometimes they are a bit pricey but if found on offer they are alway a good choice. If not possible then Goodyear comes to my mind immediately afterwards. 
Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 are probably one of the quietest touring tyres available. The more they wear down the quieter they become, and here is the reason why many new car tyres has less depth in their threads when new.,  less road noise. There are three important things that make car tyres quieter, rubber softness, space between thread patterns, and thread patterns shape. Here it’s my breaking of gy egp 2 worn out after some time been used. This can help eventually anyone looking for a tyre replacement and understand better what makes tyres quieter. 👍

55C374A1-548E-430E-9DB0-EC1920E3243E.jpeg

Thanks for the recommendation. I asked the dealer for a price and was talking tyres. He didn't like the Falken tyres on his Corolla and would fit the GEG Performance 2. Going to wait until Falken half warn then bin them.

James👍

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this, will be going for these when my Falkens wear out. 

3 hours ago, mjjferreira said:

2.0 models are usually better sound isolated and even so, the car lets so much noise get in.

i don't get why the corolla is poor on sound proofing. One of the new key points of the new TNGA platform is exatcly that...better sound proofing!

Better is a relative term 😉

Just because something is better doesn't mean that it's perfect 😉

It may be that on an older platform Toyota would have had to use a lot more insulation material whereas they were able to get away with less on the TNGA platform. Personally I don't consider the Corolla to be particularly noisy anyway. I've never had a problem hearing music or other people talking. I wouldn't rate it as any worse than any other car I've been in.

The Corolla is much quieter than my Yaris!!! :laugh: 

Sound proofing usually changes with the trim levels, if you have excel with either engine choice would most likely have the same level of sound proof and obviously higher than lower grades. Acoustic windscreen, extra padding into the interior cards, softer plastics etc. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Sound proofing usually changes with the trim levels, if you have excel with either engine choice would most likely have the same level of sound proof and obviously higher than lower grades. Acoustic windscreen, extra padding into the interior cards, softer plastics etc. 

I have a 1.8 Excel which has sound proofing under the bonnet, not sure about extra padding into the interior cards. I don't think I have an acoustic windcreen, cannot see any markings on it?

4 minutes ago, 50p said:

I have a 1.8 Excel which has sound proofing under the bonnet, not sure about extra padding into the interior cards. I don't think I have an acoustic windcreen, cannot see any markings on it?

I am not sure Corolla particularly has one, just gave it as an example in general, other owners may enlighten us as I don’t have Toyota Corolla. 👍 For the padding also I think I know from the forum again from other owners that the different trim levels has different door cards material and padding, again topper version softer materials, but again not 100% sure about it, but make sense to me, more you pay, more you get, right. 👌

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I am not sure Corolla particularly has one, just gave it as an example in general, other owners may enlighten us as I don’t have Toyota Corolla. 👍 For the padding also I think I know from the forum again from other owners that the different trim levels has different door cards material and padding, again topper version softer materials, but again not 100% sure about it, but make sense to me, more you pay, more you get, right. 👌

The 2.0 has an acoustic windscreen I believe and UV acoustic front side glass plus the wheel arch liners are different which I presume reduces noise. 

• Thanks 1

i was delighted at how little noise the corolla has compared to my previous astra , it was the first thing we noticed on our test drive, like others i always go for michelin they are just a !Removed! good tyre and your tyres are the only thing between you and the ditch so never scrimp on them.

• Like 3

On 12/5/2021 at 6:43 PM, shufman said:

Hi all, 

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Michelins. I'm considering replacing the Falkens on my 1.8 HB Excel well before they need to be replaced. My preference is for Goodyear F1 Eagles which I had on an Audi A4 SLine a few cars ago. Two sets over 5 years. Grip like glue. But you might have persuaded me on the Michelins for the Corolla.

I can't quite tell from your photo, but do the Michelins have a rubber edge that extends out that would protect the wheels from damage if you scraped a kerb, say? That was a huge plus point on the Goodyears I had.

• Like 1

Hi Neville,

Yeah there’s a lip even though it’s smaller than the Falken one so at least there’s some protection. It chucked it down last night here and on way back from work it the car felt rock solid on the drenched roads so happy days! 

Today I had my Corolla in the Toyota dealer for a winter health check. Among the things they checked was the tyres and in particular, tyre wear. The car still has the original Falken 225/40/18.

I was pretty impressed to note from the inspection that, after almost 15,500 miles from new in June 2020, the two fronts have middle tread depths of 4.8mm each and the two rears 6.0mm each (and noting that the legal minimum is 1.6mm). The dealer told me the Falkens could potentially last for another 15K miles depending on how I drive. Even if it's less than that, 10K say, it means I'll be looking at end 2022 at the earliest for replacing the tyres due to wear. Might be worth rotating the wheels now.

I'd been thinking about replacing them for reasons not to do with wear (perceptions about better grip, less noise) but I can't ignore the economics. Looks as though my thinking about switching out the tyres will go into the long grass for a while.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links