Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Collected my Prius Excel :)

JonathanP

I finally collected my Prius Excel on the 27th 🙂

I'm 99% certain that I'm already getting far better mileage than the hybrid C-HR. Time will tell when I head up to our holiday home in Northumberland again next year.

Any tips on getting used to the foot pedal parking brake again... so many times I have had to walk back and check as I've convinced myself I'd not put it on (100% of the time I have, but it doesn't stop the niggling feeling).

Still trying to figure out a few things,

1. sometimes I get 2 quick beeps while driving. The dealer thinks it's speed camera alert, but I'm not sure. If I look at the dashboard I don't see anything obvious.

2. I also find it odd that although I have done a map update, the website doesn't show any update service active.
Though it does at least tell me I have already purchased if I try to buy the ÂŁ119 map update (is that really how much Toyota would want to charge for a single map update?)

3. I appear to have a Wifi hotspot in the car, but no manual explaining it. Even the dealer seemed surprised but the document they linked is for an older 3g unit So far I've not been able to get any internet access though it, maybe something being added to the MyT app soon.

4. No Hybrid coaching in the MyT app?

Hi Jonathan, you definitely will get more mpg that the CHR. The Prius is designed to cut through the air. I the drag coefficient is .24 in the Prius and, I think, .28 in the CHR, which is a massive difference. Just last Friday, a 7mile each way journey gave me 71 mpg.. Average over the life of the vehicle, 36k miles is 70.4 mpg, best I done on a 50 mile one way journey Telford-Chester was 96. Pg.           

You will get used to the foot “hand” brake. Now when I jump into the wife’s Auris my foot goes to press a brake that isnt there. Apart from getting used to it, once you stop and switch off the P is in operation, think that is a mechanical function, so the car is going nowhere anyway.

The 2 beeps are likely to be speed alerts, do you see any on the roadside even 100 yds away.

Yes the maps are in that region. For my Gen3 I had they were ÂŁ199. My free upgrades stopped a few months after I bought my car used. I now prefer to use Waze on my phone. Up to date and updates on the go with traffic conditions.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Hi Jonathan, you definitely will get more mpg that the CHR. The Prius is designed to cut through the air. I the drag coefficient is .24 in the Prius and, I think, .28 in the CHR, which is a massive difference.

.32 Cx for the C-HR, so yes quite a big difference. Fluid dynamics are interesting, obviously they apply to fuel consumption and vehicle speed, at low speed it's not very critical, but at higher speed the relation is geometric. That is, for example, to make a car go from 100 mph to 200 mph, needs 4 times and much power. In a more real world sense at Motorway speeds, then 10 mph more needs considerably more power.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your Excel, I have had my Excel since March 2017 and it hasn't missed a beat and the fuel economy still amazes me.

I very rarely use the foot brake and as Joe says there is a mechanical lock as soon as you put it in Park.  The only time I tend to use it is if I am on particualry steep hill and I want to take the strain of the parking prawl, other than that, just pop it in park (automaically as soon as you turn off) and away you go.  I have done this on all the 'automatics' I have driven over the years and never had an issue.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2021 at 9:07 PM, Harters said:

The only time I tend to use it is if I am on particualry steep hill and I want to take the strain of the parking prawl, other than that, just pop it in park (automaically as soon as you turn off) and away you go.  I have done this on all the 'automatics' I have driven over the years and never had an issue.

This is very common in the USA and I don't know why — other than they tend to think of the parking brake as the emergency brake, but it is not a good habit to get into.  It is best to always use the parking brake when the car is not in use.

• Like 2

I still haven't been able to work out what the two beeps are, though I have noticed it seems to happen sometimes as I'm going around a corner?
Any ideas?

I don't usually have internal sound recording turned on for my Dashcam, but I may have to do that so I can send a snippet to the dealer and ask what it is.
It's really bugging me as nothing displays on the dashboard (or has vanished by the time I look)

2 hours ago, JonathanP said:

I still haven't been able to work out what the two beeps are, though I have noticed it seems to happen sometimes as I'm going around a corner?
Any ideas?

I don't usually have internal sound recording turned on for my dashcam, but I may have to do that so I can send a snippet to the dealer and ask what it is.
It's really bugging me as nothing displays on the dashboard (or has vanished by the time I look)

As "Catlover" and Your dealer says , I too think it´s the speed alert.

I got similar q with my Prius PHV 2018.

Maybe it is, the Ch-r never did it and that had speed alerts, but I suppose that was the earlier version of TSS.

I don't think I take corners like a speed demon 🤨🤣

4 minutes ago, JonathanP said:

Maybe it is, the Ch-r never did it and that had speed alerts, but I suppose that was the earlier version of TSS.

If the beeps are a problem you can try to 

Open settings then maps and unchecked the ( "Visa säkerhetskameror" in Swedish) " show securitycameras" ( directly translated, dont kow if You say so in Eng)

as You can see in my link.

I did and now the beeps are gone.

1 hour ago, JonathanP said:

It is not so much an alert when you are speeding but warning beeps that speed cameras are in the vicinity.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I completely forgot to reply, yes thank you everyone it was speed camera warnings from the sat nav.
I think what threw me is that sometimes I would get the alert and another time not.
I figured out that if you have a route set which avoids the upcoming speed camera you don't get the warning, but without a route set the car will give the warning as I suppose it doesn't know that you will turn off the road.

I've got used to the beeps now and they don't make me jump as much now 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 10:13 AM, JonathanP said:

I'm 99% certain that I'm already getting far better mileage than the hybrid C-HR. Time will tell when I head up to our holiday home in Northumberland again next year.

Any tips on getting used to the foot pedal parking brake again... so many times I have had to walk back and check as I've convinced myself I'd not put it on (100% of the time I have, but it doesn't stop the niggling feeling).

1. sometimes I get 2 quick beeps while driving. The dealer thinks it's speed camera alert, but I'm not sure. If I look at the dashboard I don't see anything obvious.

2. I also find it odd that although I have done a map update, the website doesn't show any update service active.
Though it does at least tell me I have already purchased if I try to buy the ÂŁ119 map update (is that really how much Toyota would want to charge for a single map update?)

3. I appear to have a Wifi hotspot in the car, but no manual explaining it. Even the dealer seemed surprised but the document they linked is for an older 3g unit So far I've not been able to get any internet access though it, maybe something being added to the MyT app soon.

Did you ever find an answer for No.3?

Just took delivery of my Prius Excel yesterday, it also has the Wi-Fi box thing in the compartment between the two front seats.  Like you, no instructions, when I go to network setup - Wi-Fi, it shows up in the available list, but I’ve no idea what the password is, because it came with no documentation that I could see. 

There’s a sticker on the top of the box with the name of it, which shows up on the screen and key a key which consists of about 7 or 8 numbers with an “a” somewhere in the middle, but nothing to indicate what the password is, so I can’t connect to it!

I can connect the car via personal hotspot on my phone, which would be fine, except every time I switch off the engine, it forgets the phone network and I have to manually reconnect, which is a right pain!

Great idea having a Wi-Fi Hotspot “built in” to the car, but pretty pointless if they don’t tell you how to connect to it. 

On 12/6/2021 at 10:13 AM, JonathanP said:

Think I’ve got the answer to No.1

Noticed it myself on the way to work this morning, no speed cameras anywhere in the vicinity, but each time when the beeps went, I noticed the lane deviation indicator light thing on the left hand side of the dash blinked on and off, so I’m pretty sure that’s what it is. 

On my previous 2017 Excel it used to make 3 different sounding beeps, never noticed if the light blinked, but pretty sure that’s what it is. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links