Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oxygen - A/F sensors

Denp

Hi

Ok im new to this so pleas bear with me I have a Rav4 2004 and currently it is abroad with a relative. the check engine light came on and looking up possible faults it seems that its either an oxygen sensor or an a/f sensor the problem is i can only see 1 sensor which is at the top right side of the manifold i have looked and for the life of me i cant find any more. the engine is a 2ltr code 1AZFE No1AZ1YY3110.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated 

I believe there’s four two at the top and two lower down .

E823BF56-468E-4849-B827-A722A01106F2.png

Best to get it looked at, because oxygen sensor fault codes are not always caused by the sensor itself.

Thanks both

Phil, i have that diagram and that's what confused me as it bore no resemblance to my actual engine but i am obliged to you for replying so quick

Bob, that looks closer to my engine but the diagram shows only 2 sensors one on the manifold an the other on the exhaust the parts list shows 4 but 2 are for earlier models, have i red it right if not i apologise and you can take me outside and shoot me.

35 minutes ago, flash22 said:

A/F is pre cat, B1 S1 and the oxygen (lambda) is post cat, B1 S2 07/2003 onwards.

2000 - 07/2003  has 4 sensors

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/rav4-vanguard-38361/aca20-56674/aca20r-azpnkw-926699/switch-relay-computer-17934622

3 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

Best to get it looked at, because oxygen sensor fault codes are not always caused by the sensor itself.

Thanks for answering but the car is currently on a small island in the Caribbean where a repair of this sort is either to ignore it or take the bits of another donor car, if it will fit

I appreciate that the car is away from home although I didn't realise quite how isolated it is.

It's the type of fault that's very unlikely to render the car inoperable, but could potentially cause further damage (specifically to the catalytic converter) by continuing to use it without identifying the cause and getting it fixed. So it's entirely up to you, but that's the reason why I cautioned against continuing to drive around in it without getting it fixed first. I'm not trying to be unhelpful with that advice, just hoping it might save you some money.

• Like 1

I had a 2004 petrol which had that problem and I did have four on mine, the two lower are hard to spot, I bought a direct denso replacement at around £80 and you need a proper socket to remove it (makes it easier) then it’s just a unplug and plug new one in, can take a day to settle down afterwards but definitely something anyone can do themselves.

socket has a split in it for the cable to pass through. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

I appreciate that the car is away from home although I didn't realise quite how isolated it is.

It's the type of fault that's very unlikely to render the car inoperable, but could potentially cause further damage (specifically to the catalytic converter) by continuing to use it without identifying the cause and getting it fixed. So it's entirely up to you, but that's the reason why I cautioned against continuing to drive around in it without getting it fixed first. I'm not trying to be unhelpful with that advice, just hoping it might save you some money.

No, your advice is very helpful and its a job that i plan to do myself. as the island is quite small and the car is only used for short journeys my plan is to get a reader and find out which sensor i need and on the next trip fix it rather than buying more than i need. funny thing is while out there a couple of years ago the exhaust snapped down near the joint by the rear box so i took it to the local garage and they chopped up a couple of old exhausts and welded it all back together in situ and its held up to now though as an ex welder i would not have had the nerve to call it a weld, still the job cost about 20 quid and got me out of trouble. to cut a long story short i took an exhaust back with me on my next trip but have not yet had it fitted but looking at it i cant see where the sensor can fit. i suspect i need to do a bit more work. many thanks for the advice i am grateful for your help

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi I'm now back in the Caribbean and able to check things out. i have found 1 sensor on the cat and another further down on the exhaust pipe which i find a bit disconcerting i have just had an exhaust shipped over as the old one was rotting away,  problem now is that i have an exhaust that does not have a fitting for a sensor, i think i can get around this but what is perplexing me is that my engine is 2004 1AZFE which should be configured as in the diagrams that you kindly sent. Heres a picture of the lower sensor on my exhaust i'm confused

20220224_132302.jpg

20211128153620.JPG

20211128153615.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Now at home in the UK i visited my local Toyota dealer who found this by putting my chassis number into the system. This diagram is exactly the set up that i have. my next problem came when he told me the price, about 180 quid. ive checked on line but have not been able to find a cheaper one with the grommet that seals the lead as it goes
h the floor, a matching plug and a long lead, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

Sensors.thumb.jpeg.44348091f5da46ec59683bb002f7417f.jpegP1001306.thumb.JPG.83e033ac4be0277b3016f2c1c024bace.JPG

There are 2 sensors, as it's the one under the carpet i take it is B1S2 what is the lambda sensor

B1S1 is the A/F

don't buy very cheap o2 sensors as you will be changing it again 6-18 months down the road, OEM is Denso

2.0 petrol

Denso DOX-0233

https://www.denso-am.eu/catalog/pv/14907/part/DOX-0233

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161624091499

Edit. re-read the thread 2004 2.0 1AZFE

oem No. 89465-42120 = Denso DOX-0233

Thats brilliant couldnt have asked for better 

many thanks

Dennis

Just an update. I got a Denso for £64 instead of the £180 Toyota wanted. 

Many thanks 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links