Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Autocar - Toyota hints at a new Prius in 2022

FROSTYBALLS

Nice one, just about seen that and my prediction are actually getting closer to be true., hydrogen powered ice and new type batteries combined for a new Prius phev. Not bad at all. Even the standard prius will be a real deal. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Nice one, just about seen that and my prediction are actually getting closer to be true., hydrogen powered ice and new type batteries combined for a new Prius phev. Not bad at all. Even the standard prius will be a real deal. 👍

The Article does state “Toyota has given no clues as to what to expect from the new vehicle” I personally think it’s Autocar’s speculative guess. I have also seen another publication guessing on a triple fuelled Prius with a petrol ice with a hydrogen secondary engine as a PHEV. 

Chipaggedon will be with us for a significant amount of time 2022 is too soon for the mk5. If you are into clarevoyent predictions I’d say 2027 for the mk5. 

Then again we know Toyota is introducing the Aygo X, Corolla Cross, GR86 and BZ4X into Europe during 2022 despite chipaggeddon.

5 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Then again we know Toyota is introducing the Aygo X, Corolla Cross, GR86 and BZ4X into Europe during 2022 despite chipaggeddon.

Yeah. About that. Introducing new models is one thing …

actual DELIVERY of those models to the public another…

if they can’t actually supply a Prius in less than 14 months what chance do you have with these new models?

toyota are already supplying incomplete models with features missing “to be retrofitted at a later date by your dealer” in the US

1 minute ago, MyOpinionnotrespected said:

Yeah. About that. Introducing new models is one thing …

actual DELIVERY of those models to the public another…

All the article mentions is hinting at a possible launch in 2022 so whether that is a launch in January 2022 or in December 2022 is neither here nor there. 

20 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

All the article mentions is hinting at a possible launch in 2022 so whether that is a launch in January 2022 or in December 2022 is neither here nor there. 

It also has no verified substance and is guesswork - see my previous post. 

if you are into that sort of thing I would recommend googling “polestar 3” lots of talk about that one. 

The article hints at the next generation - a hint is defined as 'a slight or indirect indication or suggestion' - and as such doesn't need to have any verified substance.

13 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The article hints at the next generation - a hint is defined as 'a slight or indirect indication or suggestion' - and as such doesn't need to have any verified substance.

Lol. I see flying cars in 2025 

19 minutes ago, MyOpinionnotrespected said:

Lol. I see flying cars in 2025 

Is that a hint or verified substance?

Good news about the next new Prius etc. With power off in the north a lot of good an all electric vehicle is in the northern areas at the moment. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Is that a hint or verified substance?

Verified Substance. 

1 hour ago, Chris Dance said:

Good news about the next new Prius etc. With power off in the north a lot of good an all electric vehicle is in the northern areas at the moment. 

Prius don’t need charging lol. Only the PHEV Prius does. 

That's what he's saying - That it's good news a Prius (That doesn't need electricity) is coming out, as it will work even when the power is down like it is up there now, unlike EVs which will just be very expensive paperweights until the mains is back up

21 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That's what he's saying - That it's good news a Prius (That doesn't need electricity) is coming out, as it will work even when the power is down like it is up there now, unlike EVs which will just be very expensive paperweights until the mains is back up

Agreed. Perhaps I should have inserted a Ye.

but just to be clear on your “correction” the “Prius (That doesn’t need electricity)” is not “coming out” it’s been in the uk 20 plus years and now is on its 4th revision. 

5 minutes ago, Cyker said:

ugh fine a NEW Prius then!!! :laugh: 

😂😂😂

On 12/8/2021 at 6:31 AM, MyOpinionnotrespected said:

I have also seen another publication guessing on a triple fuelled Prius with a petrol ice with a hydrogen secondary engine as a PHEV. 

That make absolutely no sense at all.  If it has a hydrogen fuel cell, it has no need for an ICE or to be a plugin.  It would be more like the Prius with the ICE removed and replaced with a HFC.

Sadly enough Prius was discontinued here in Sweden 2020 (I think maybe even 2019).

The gen 4 and gen 2 PHV was newer a big hit here, but now I´ve read that this hinted 2022 model maybe will be sold in Sweden to.

Our hydrogen infrastructure are realy bad though, at least for now

If Prius comes with hydrogen powered fuel will be ice hydrogen not fuel cell, and here is where Toyota does testing currently in Corolla and recently on Yaris GR sport cars. This will give flexibility of ice engine to take you on longer journeys without co2 emissions, plus advanced Battery tech, self charging or phev or both , I don’t know. Basically they replace petrol with hydrogen, have you never seen Prius on gas conversion?, I have a few taxis in England, so simply said similar thing. 👍

• Like 1

Sure, there were plenty of CNG and LPG conversions in the '70's and '80's.

If Toyota are indeed pursuing a hydrogen powered ICE rather than a FCEV, then it would just be a hydrogen powered Prius (and/or a PHEV) hybrid — not a triple fuelled vehicle.  Is it not the aim is to ditch fossil fuels?

Well triple-fueled would imply petrol, hydrogen and Battery.

I could see that happening actually, as 'triple-fuelled' Priuses already exist in a way - Petrol, LPG, Battery hybrids! (The LPG is aftermarket)

The trick would be making an IC engine that can run on either hydrogen or petrol - I suspect that could be tricky as unlike LPG quite a lot of modification is required, esp. to the compression ratio, and hydrogen embrittles metals over time and I have no idea how you'd protect the engine block from that.

It's a shame diesel research is virtually dead as that and gas turbines are much more flexible for multi-fuel use - Unlike the Otto cycle, gas turbines and the Diesel cycle will theoretically run on any fuel that burns with very little modification. The biggest hurdle is still emissions, and for diesels also injector lubrication, unless they switch to something like airblast or indirect.

I kinda like the idea of a gas turbine that runs on hydrogen that powers an electrical generator (I love the sound they make when they spool up :biggrin: ), but the efficiencies of gas turbines are absolutely awful compared to Otto and especially Diesel-cycle engines.

Edit: Okay I need to take less time to proof-read my posts before actually posting them!! :laugh: 

15 hours ago, Joseph D said:

That make absolutely no sense at all.  If it has a hydrogen fuel cell, it has no need for an ICE or to be a plugin.  It would be more like the Prius with the ICE removed and replaced with a HFC.

Agreed. 

On 12/10/2021 at 5:53 AM, Cyker said:

Well triple-fueled would imply petrol, hydrogen and battery.

That would be only duel fuelled as Battery is not a fuel source, it is a storage medium.  In a hybrid the only way to get energy into the storage medium is to burn the primary fuel(s).  In the plug-in scenario it gets bit more tricky, because the only way that would work is 100% renewable source.

In this discussion you need to remember the primary goal is to get away from burning fossil fuels, not replace one fossil fuel with another.

As far as hydrogen goes, it make very little sense to produce it from either fossil fuels or electricity, even it that electricity is produced by way of 100% renewables, which in most of the world is not 100% renewable.