Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV improvements...

Nick72

Just looking at the Toyota website and not only is it 46k for dynamic Premium (mine was 52k) but it now comes with LED internal lighting including the boot. I think if they could get this car down under 40k it will be a big seller here (already a big seller in the USA but there it's over 10 or 12k less, as are a lot of cars like this).

But we are not in the US or anywhere else so rather pointless. If the price of a Range Rover was reduced to under £40k they would probably sell a lot more too. You can get £2k discount but you only need to look at the competition to see they are also all over £40k. And to what advantage? They can’t supply them as it is - it’s called a chip shortage, and not from a lack of potato’s at your local chippy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatcoat said:

But we are not in the US or anywhere else so rather pointless. If the price of a Range Rover was reduced to under £40k they would probably sell a lot more too. You can get £2k discount but you only need to look at the competition to see they are also all over £40k. And to what advantage? They can’t supply them as it is - it’s called a chip shortage, and not from a lack of potato’s at your local chippy. 

I'm not sure that Toyota have been significantly affected by the chip crisis. They abandoned kanban (just in time) for semi conductor supply long ago. They forced suppliers to overstock. Ironic since they're Japanese. But a smart move in the circumstances. 

The price charged is largely based upon what the manufacturer thinks they can get away with in any market. They calculate what a particular market is prepared to pay factoring import duties and so on. In other words, there's every reason to believe they could knock the cost down further in the UK.

Hence not sure what you are arguing for or against? 

As far as I'm aware the US tariff on Japanese built cars is 2.5%, whereas the UK tariff is approx 7% (down from 10%), and is not scheduled to reduce to 0% until 2026. So there is currently less scope to mirror US prices.

• Like 1

Aren't USA prices quoted without taxes, due to each State having their own different local taxes? 

• Like 1

The US has Federal and State tax systems and they vary as does the tax benefit that can be claimed against EV/PHEV cars.  As I understand the system whether you're buying a new car or a used car, or even leasing a car, you'll have to pay state sales tax. Nearly every state has a sales tax, ranging from under 3 percent to over 8 percent. The national average in the United States is 5.75 percent BUT local townships, school areas can also add tax.  It gets even more strange as in some areas if you trade in a car you only pay tax on the difference in price. Yep, base price quoted then add your local taxes. 

I think the Federal import tax is 2.5% on cars?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware the US tariff on Japanese built cars is 2.5%, whereas the UK tariff is approx 7% (down from 10%), and is not scheduled to reduce to 0% until 2026. So there is currently less scope to mirror US prices.

Agreed for sure.

11 hours ago, ernieb said:

The US has Federal and State tax systems and they vary as does the tax benefit that can be claimed against EV/PHEV cars.  As I understand the system whether you're buying a new car or a used car, or even leasing a car, you'll have to pay state sales tax. Nearly every state has a sales tax, ranging from under 3 percent to over 8 percent. The national average in the United States is 5.75 percent BUT local townships, school areas can also add tax.  It gets even more strange as in some areas if you trade in a car you only pay tax on the difference in price. Yep, base price quoted then add your local taxes. 

I think the Federal import tax is 2.5% on cars?

There are also significant federal and state incentives. The latter varying a lot from state to state. As I understand it in some states it translates as a significant discount. More than offsets the tax.

Moving north to Canada I believe in Quebec province you can buy a top spec R4P for not much more than 30k UKP because of the provincial incentives.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ColinB said:

Aren't USA prices quoted without taxes, due to each State having their own different local taxes? 

But countered by state incentives atop of federal incentives. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links