Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Panel gaps on new Yaris?

baxuz

So, started noticing some panel gaps on my Yaris:

IMG_20211210_135735.jpgIMG_20211210_135723.jpg

IMG_20211210_135611.jpgIMG_20211210_135628.jpg

The panel on the left side is a bit out of the norm (you can see the bent plastic lip), but the right one is WAY off.

Is this normal for a new Toyota, and how much of an issue is it? Just want some input before I get the "oh that's within norms" talk from the dealer.

The gaps are quite clear but not having a Yaris is it hard to see if it is a problem.  A wider view might help. 

Well, been reading a post about Toyota two days ago  (Apple news) that they had started to accept parts especially body panels of a second quality, parts that previously would have been rejected now they goes into production to minimise produce waste materials co2 footprint that comes along and to maximise delivery times, all that to try to cope with higher demand for new cars, chip shortages etc. it seems  common practice now most new cars to come with that sorts of “defects “ or more like imperfections. Every product is so rushed to be done and out of factory., quality controls are lowered or missed.  Gaps usually does not cause problems only aesthetically unpleasant appearance. It might though be a problem if you claim a repair or warranty and dealer inspect the car prior to accept it and may argue the car been repaired and refuse further help, but there are more signs usually if anything like that has been done. Maybe a word with the dealer supplier is your next step. 👍

I'm surprised the supplying dealer didn't spot this / correct this during PDI.

It also might just be a general French build quality issue as there are lots of complaints about the poor panel gaps & build quality on the new Peugeot 208. 

That doesnt look right.  We have a 2 month old Yaris, it has no gaps.

For starters, gaps are uneven side to side. That is not within spec. Second, the gap to whatever panel it is, is excessive and would NOT be within Toyota Quality standards.

Has the car had any dealer work in that area for accessories or similar?

9 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

I'm surprised the supplying dealer didn't spot this / correct this during PDI.

It also might just be a general French build quality issue as there are lots of complaints about the poor panel gaps & build quality on the new Peugeot 208. 

It could well be a Czech built Yaris

It looks like the wing mirror/front door area

• Like 1

The news about Toyota accepting parts with small blemishes on was regarding parts which are not normally in sight, and Toyota stated they are careful about the outside appearance of their vehicles - see 

In that case I doubt very much that the issues with your Yaris are as a result of this change in policy.

Instead I would be questioning the supplying dealer to determine whether the car has had any rectification work done - possibly by the dealer themselves or the importer as damage does sometimes occur to vehicles during transit from the factory to the distribution depot, dealer or wherever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, flash22 said:

It could well be a Czech built Yaris

It's from the French factory.

19 hours ago, Starensis said:

Has the car had any dealer work in that area for accessories or similar?

Nope. The car only had a single wash, paint correction (tons of swirl marks from, probably, the car wash with contaminated brushes) and ceramic coating done. The detailing studio also found that the side mirrors weren't installed properly, you can see the gap on the left one.. The left mirror also takes a while longer to fold in compared to the right one. 

18 hours ago, baxuz said:

It's from the French factory.

Nope. The car only had a single wash, paint correction (tons of swirl marks from the factory) and ceramic coating done. They also found that the side mirrors weren't installed properly. The left mirror also takes a while longer to fold in compared to the right one. 

That gap on mirror rear cover is due to dealer faffing around with it then!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I'll bring this up with the dealer first thing Monday morning.

• Like 1

Must have been built by the same guys that built my Mk2  :laugh:  The panel gaps on that were amazing... I could fit my little finger into the front bonnet gap :laugh: 

Have you tried just pushing the mirror cover back into place? You may well get a satisfying 'click'.

Probably an apprentice on the PDI.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

Have you tried just pushing the mirror cover back into place? You may well get a satisfying 'click'.

I won't be touching the car, as I want it to be in the state I picked it up when I come over to complain. Last thing I need is to break something.

14 minutes ago, Starensis said:

Probably an apprentice on the PDI.

Wonder what the tyre pressures where set to 🤔

• Like 1

With misaligned panels you may find annoying road noise too, noise you might not recognise as excessive as it's always been there. 

Once had a brand new Ford Anglia, fine up to 30 mph and didn't discover a howl until I went out of town.  Rather than the car to the workshop the dealer sent me to a body shop being the gas works.  Worried! 

Explained the problem, big bloke can with big piece of wood, jammed the door, gave it a shove, said OK now.  Horrified! 

Back on the road it was fixed. 

Your dealer should be able to fix it or reject it. 

• Like 1

TBH I don't think my dealer even did a PDI on my Mk4 - When I picked it up:

Tyres were at 60PSI

Part# Stickers were still on everything - Fin antenna, seat belt latches, arm rest, SOS module, shifter tunnel trim, god knows where else (I still keep finding new ones when I access a part of the car I've not been in!)

Trim still has the protective plastic on them (I thought the hybrid scuff plates on the doors were metallic blue - They are not! It's the protective blue plastic sheet still stuck on!)

Supagard was NOT applied (Thankfully supagard were happy to send someone down at no cost to me to re-apply it; From the sound of it they get this from dealers a lot...), and they forgot to give me the kit that comes with it, until I queried it.

I'm almost glad I don't know what is actually involved in a normal Toyota PDI, as I think I'd have found even more things they hadn't done!!

6 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Explained the problem, big bloke can with big piece of wood, jammed the door, gave it a shove, said OK now.  Horrified! 

I've seen that sort of thing done - it's quite normal. They'll do it at inspection at the end of the production line if something is a bit off.

If steel isn't the shape you need it, you bend it. That's how they make the body panels in the first place 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, baxuz said:

I won't be touching the car, as I want it to be in the state I picked it up when I come over to complain. Last thing I need is to break something.

Have you considered the dealer may just take the car out of sight and someone will bash the mirror cover with the palm of their hand to put it back? You could save yourself the inconvenience of taking it there if you try it youself.

11 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

Have you considered the dealer may just take the car out of sight and someone will bash the mirror cover with the palm of their hand to put it back? You could save yourself the inconvenience of taking it there if you try it youself.

I think it is more then the mirror cover that is concerning Ivan.

Yeah, better to get it on-record so if there are other panel-related problems discovered later there is a paper trail.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links