Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Panel gaps on new Yaris?

baxuz

9 hours ago, Mikw said:

I can't see the pics.

Yeah, the forum is weird with picture uploads. You must have cross-site cookies enabled. Let me try reuploading them here.

EDIT:
Seems that it works. Mods, could you let me edit the two previous posts so that I can reupload the pics properly? I think I just pasted the image data in the rich text editor. Too used to slack these days.

IMG_20211210_135735.jpg

IMG_20211210_135611.jpg

IMG_20211210_135628.jpg

IMG_20211210_135723.jpg

Edited by baxuz
Managed to upload pictures.

2 hours ago, baxuz said:

Mods, could you let me edit the two previous posts so that I can reupload the pics properly? I think I just pasted the image data in the rich text editor.

Members have a limited time in which to edit posts, and Mods are not able to re-open posts to allow members more time to edit.

However, I have copied the photos in your last post to your original post which should suffice.

As regards uploading pictures, one can either use the upload button at the bottom of the post box or just copy and paste.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Members have a limited time in which to edit posts, and Mods are not able to re-open posts to allow members more time to edit.

However, I have copied the photos in your last post to your original post which should suffice.

As regards uploading pictures, one can either use the upload button at the bottom of the post box or just copy and paste.

Thanks. I copy/pasted and they ended up uploaded on google CDN which requires 3rd party cookies to work. 

Btw I went over the car a bit more. The trunk door is also misaligned, with a much larger gap on the right side compared to the left one by the light cluster, and the right rubber seal isn't even making full contact.

I apologize for the dirty car. Had some dust-filled rain over the night 😄

IMG_20211211_122941.jpgIMG_20211211_122900.jpgIMG_20211211_122824.jpgIMG_20211211_122936.jpg

• Like 1

Lol, that looks worse than Tesla or Dacia, no wonder these cars are on the noisy side when driving on motorway speeds. Not sure if there is anything to do with parts quality but definitely with workmanship. It is obvious to me that this is as a result of rushed manufacturing., quantity over quality. You can just push in the mirror cover and if it clips in then here we have it. 👍

5 hours ago, baxuz said:

Thanks. I copy/pasted and they ended up uploaded on google CDN which requires 3rd party cookies to work. 

Btw I went over the car a bit more. The trunk door is also misaligned, with a much larger gap on the right side compared to the left one by the light cluster, and the right rubber seal isn't even making full contact.

I apologize for the dirty car. Had some dust-filled rain over the night 😄

IMG_20211211_122941.jpgIMG_20211211_122900.jpgIMG_20211211_122824.jpgIMG_20211211_122936.jpg

That’s not acceptable at all. I went outside and scrutinized all the panels doors bonnet and tailgate gaps and they are all equal and accurately acceptable. I don’t know how that car passed quality control inspection. I would take it back to the dealership and if they cannot rectify the faults then you would have grounds to reject the car.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, baxuz said:

Yeah, the forum is weird with picture uploads. You must have cross-site cookies enabled. Let me try reuploading them here.

EDIT:
Seems that it works. Mods, could you let me edit the two previous posts so that I can reupload the pics properly? I think I just pasted the image data in the rich text editor. Too used to slack these days.

IMG_20211210_135735.jpg

IMG_20211210_135611.jpg

IMG_20211210_135628.jpg

IMG_20211210_135723.jpg

Thank you, that works! Appreciate you reposting, i can see the gaps you're talking about now. Can't say i've noticed them on mine, but it's grey, so perhaps i haven't noticed.

Went to the dealer (Toyota Croatia). They quickly fixed the rear view mirror plastic cover, but said that they can't do anything about the panel gaps as long as the gaps don't compromise the functionality, eg structural integrity, water ingress, rust, aerodynamics etc.

The car on display had almost the exact same panel gaps which tells me it's a widespread issue.

Kinda sad that that's the situation as I was hoping that some minor corrections could be made. Then again, while googling I found some review samples that have it REAL bad:

image.thumb.png.ac504e3ce7a5fe90c1922608753c8c8d.png

You will find the front wing has to be flush or over flush to front of door to reduce wind noise. This may leave larger gap to where you point out, but may be acceptable from a design perspective.

I also find many Toyota’s now set hatch or boot profile underflush to bodysides. This again is to reduce wind noise by compressing boot seal, plus eliminate the annoying rattle from non-contact to buffers.

2 hours ago, Starensis said:

This again is to reduce wind noise by compressing boot seal, plus eliminate the annoying rattle from non-contact to buffers.

Which begs the question ... Why not make the seals and buffers a little fatter, or design the gap smaller?

It's a nice excuse but it doesn't inspire confidence in the way they design these things.

I feel like I'm missing something here... the panel gaps on my Mk4 seem fine to me! Far better than the Mk2's at any rate. What exactly is the complaint here?

19 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

Which begs the question ... Why not make the seals and buffers a little fatter, or design the gap smaller?

It's a nice excuse but it doesn't inspire confidence in the way they design these things.

Manufacturing tolerances - possibly.

12 hours ago, Cyker said:

I feel like I'm missing something here... the panel gaps on my Mk4 seem fine to me! Far better than the Mk2's at any rate. What exactly is the complaint here?

Well I don't really know what they were like on the Mk2, but I was kinda expecting a car built in 2021 by a company priding itself on its QC to be symmetrical.

• Like 3

Just checked my Corolla HB, the tailgate is indeed slightly inside the frame. I do have one oddity on both sides on the rear doors. On the edge of the doors. About 9 inches below the handle at the 8 or 4 o'clock position dirt gathers, less than size of the hand. 

There is no obvious reason  but is clearly an area of low pressure that attracts dirt. 

It looks like the plastic trim and/or clip behind the wing is pushing the wing away from the body, the tailgate needs a minor hinge adjustment

i can put up a diagram if needed

Everything new is less quality then older stuff including the cars and Toyotas, that obvious., materials, workmanship, QC, everything, the only thing up are the prices! 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Everything new is less quality then older stuff including the cars and Toyotas, that obvious., materials, workmanship, QC, everything, the only thing up are the prices! 😉

I'd say material quality is, mostly, down.

OTOH, there are plenty of rabidly committed individuals making fantastic gear, in all sorts of fields, that are close to works of art. It's unfair to generalise (yeah), but generally if the quality sinks to badly, of say, a car the next generation will make up for it, otherwise the maker's sales will tank.

Everywhere you look in manufacturing things are built to a price, if it's built to last to long they'll go out of business!

Similar happens in the Toyota forklift world - bomb proof electric counter balance built in Japan gets superseded with all singer & dancing new model built in Italy & the quality / reliability drops.

Things like replacing overhead guards that crack due to a design mess up with a modified / strengthened design that also cracks but now in a different place seems to show the biggest drop in quality. 

This particular Yaris from the pictures of the op has all that uneven gaps because of poor workmanship, this can be due to a various factors, like the people who assembled it just have started doing this job and has very little practice., to be able to do all these repetitive operations fast and to the high standard you need to have some experience. This gaps are not fatal or of a too big trouble unless it’s noisy and windy inside at speeds but if it was my car it would have bothered me a lot since it’s a brand new Toyota and most likely I would have them adjusted by myself and forget about it., or I would write an email with pictures to the director of the factory from where the car came from. 

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

the tailgate needs a minor hinge adjustment

i can put up a diagram if needed

Would be great, since it seems I'll have to do it myself 😕