Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.8 hybrid idle revs

Jatboy jay

Just took delivery of our new Corolla 1.8 hybrid, when in park and when the  engine engages the revs are at 1300 rpm. Is this correct? Just seem high especially when when it’s all about fuel economy. 

cheers. 

Yes, it's normal. Hybrids don't have an 'idle' RPM. If the engine is really not needed it will switch off. 1,300 RPM is what Toyota have determined to be an efficient rate at which to generate electricity for the Battery and/or heat for the cabin.

Toyota have several decades experience so we have to assume that in this case they know best. I can really only confirm that my observation is the same as yours. 1,300 RPM seems to be where Toyota have programmed the car for minimum load conditions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jatboy jay said:

Just took delivery of our new Corolla 1.8 hybrid, when in park and when the  engine engages the revs are at 1300 rpm. Is this correct? Just seem high especially when when it’s all about fuel economy. 

cheers. 

As soon as the computer says the engine is warm enough, or the hybrid Battery has got sufficient charge, the engine will stop.              
Just relax and enjoy the good experience you will have, well, at least I have with the Prius.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

So if what you say were the case. Explain why sometimes My Corolla will idle at 1000 rpm. Other times 1300 I’ve even had it idle higher. 1500 rpm at which point i needed to make sure I kept my foot firmly on the break.

there is something that controls idle speed. 1300 is excessive with a warm engine as well plenty of charge in the hybrid Battery.

3 hours ago, DrewZ said:

So if what you say were the case. Explain why sometimes My Corolla will idle at 1000 rpm. Other times 1300 I’ve even had it idle higher. 1500 rpm at which point i needed to make sure I kept my foot firmly on the break.

there is something that controls idle speed. 1300 is excessive with a warm engine as well plenty of charge in the hybrid battery.

This is because the engine always does something else and not just idling. Can be charging or discharging the Battery, or warming up itself. The crazy high rpm are discharging cycles, happens after long downhill descend, mid high rpm are usually a Battery charging and lower 1000 rpm are warning up stages.
Can be also any combination of all above. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DrewZ said:

So if what you say were the case. Explain why sometimes My Corolla will idle at 1000 rpm. Other times 1300 I’ve even had it idle higher.

As I wrote in my earlier reply there is no such thing as 'idling'.

Your engine is running at 1,000 or 1,500 despite being stationary because it has work to do and that work is performed most efficiently at that RPM.

There is no need to do anything special with the brake pedal. Use it as you would in any other automatic car.

• Like 1

Hah I just posted in a similar thread, but in short if it's idling ~1000 it may be regen'ing the GPF. At higher RPMs, it's probably charging the Battery.

The thing is, especially with the newer hybrids, whenever the car has to run the engine, it will always try to run the engine at its most efficient RPM - My Yaris' optimal RPM seems to be about 2000rpm - If I'm doing 5mph, it'll run at about 2000rpm. If I'm doing 70mph, it'll still be doing about 2000rpm! If I was gentle enough with the accelerator I reckon I could do that classic CVT trick of going from a standstill to 70mph with the engine doing about 2000rpm the whole time! (In reality I'd never, as it's far more fun to boot it :naughty: :laugh: )

The only time it goes higher is if I demand more power, then the engine'll jump to 3000rpm, and if I ask for even more it starts running to the red line.

It very rarely goes below this, and when it does it's either charging the Battery while stationary, or (I suspect but haven't proved yet) regenerating the particulate filter.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Hah I just posted in a similar thread, but in short if it's idling ~1000 it may be regen'ing the GPF. At higher RPMs, it's probably charging the battery.

The thing is, especially with the newer hybrids, whenever the car has to run the engine, it will always try to run the engine at its most efficient RPM - My Yaris' optimal RPM seems to be about 2000rpm - If I'm doing 5mph, it'll run at about 2000rpm. If I'm doing 70mph, it'll still be doing about 2000rpm! If I was gentle enough with the accelerator I reckon I could do that classic CVT trick of going from a standstill to 70mph with the engine doing about 2000rpm the whole time! (In reality I'd never, as it's far more fun to boot it :naughty: :laugh: )

The only time it goes higher is if I demand more power, then the engine'll jump to 3000rpm, and if I ask for even more it starts running to the red line.

It very rarely goes below this, and when it does it's either charging the battery while stationary, or (I suspect but haven't proved yet) regenerating the particulate filter.

The higher revs in the Yaris may be because it has a 3 cylinder engine.  When I had a Fiesta with Fords 3 cylinder 1.0 litre engine it became noticeable smoother when the revs got to 2000 rpm and above.  Also it was smoother and quieter when running on super unleaded. 

• Like 2

Another reason for higher revs is the engine trying to warm up - cold day & cabin heat demand, or trying to warm exhaust catalyst for emissions. I often find Battery fills up whilst it’s trying to do this, and engine continues to run despite Battery providing traction energy 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links