Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Moving to Electric

Steve Whits

On 12/13/2021 at 2:31 PM, Catlover said:

Technology is moving so fast I personally do not think a change to pure EV is the right time. Nissan Leaf and Renault Zoe have led the field for a good few years but their technology is “old hat” now. Battery development is moving forward, getting smaller, getting more powerful, more miles. Infrastructure, in my opinion, is way behind and will take some serious action to catch up to where vehicles are. Few of my journeys will be beyond the range of a vehicle, but they sure would cause a problem when they do occur.

Agree with Joe. I changed from diesel to small turbo petrol with a hope to switch to EV. All the points above made me buy a Toyota hybrid instead.

• Like 2

The Zoe is a pile of garbage compared to the Yaris; I was looking at it as a potential EV until I found out how much of a lie the range quote was. Had a play in one and quickly grew to dislike it. The car was clearly made RHD as an afterthought - It's so compromised! Tried to fit us all in one on a test and the consensus was "Just... no."

There do seem to be increasing numbers of them floating about tho'; I burned past a few of them merging onto the motorway on the way home as they dawdled down the onramp. Don't know if they were just driving economically or the Zoe is just that slow, but I left them for dust :naughty: 

8 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

Could be worse and they all run on windows 🤣

Uncomfortable thought that - We used to joke about the Blue Screen of Death becoming real, but that is getting increasingly and disturbingly close to reality...!

31 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The Zoe is a pile of garbage compared to the Yaris; I was looking at it as a potential EV until I found out how much of a lie the range quote was. Had a play in one and quickly grew to dislike it. The car was clearly made RHD as an afterthought - It's so compromised! Tried to fit us all in one on a test and the consensus was "Just... no."

There do seem to be increasing numbers of them floating about tho'; I burned past a few of them merging onto the motorway on the way home as they dawdled down the onramp. Don't know if they were just driving economically or the Zoe is just that slow, but I left them for dust :naughty: 

Uncomfortable thought that - We used to joke about the Blue Screen of Death becoming real, but that is getting increasingly and disturbingly close to reality...!

All French cars are not perfectly converted to the UK market- they tend to have fuses in the glove box as the manufacturers don't bother to relocate them. However, the new electric Megane uses the Google system as Polestar does- the system is superior to most car manufacturers' devised system. I don't know why car manufacturers bother to do their own system. Toyota's satnav in the latest incarnation in Smart Connect is not great either- not better than Google map or Waze. Somehow everyone bundles satnav in the trim level, and one is forced to choose them.

• Like 1

Often it's to do with licensing terms. It's partly why e.g. Sony, despite inventing some incredible stuff, struggle to get them to become an industry standard.

Manufacturers want tight control over their stuff and that often conflicts with the licensing terms companies like Google, Amazon etc. require to use their stuff.

• Like 1

Honda E, the  perfect ev alternative to a Yaris but it’s more expensive and the range is only 120 miles.