Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MyT app update

ernieb

I think they fixed a bug when accessing personal data.

Had to login again. Bit of a faff. Couldn't recall login details.

Get the snowflakes. Gimmicky. 

But I now also get hybrid driving coaching and better stats. Never had that before.

• 3 weeks later...

I just knew that this would happen - it's well past twelfth night and Toyota still haven't taken down the Christmas tree ... disgraceful!

😁

• Haha 2

Out of curiosity, how the app communicates with the car? Or it's the car using the mobile data that communicates with MyT servers and the app pulls the information from there?

Asking because I used to have the ODBC port plug for VW, and the app was communicating with that to pull the driving information.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kucyk said:

Out of curiosity, how the app communicates with the car? Or it's the car using the mobile data that communicates with MyT servers and the app pulls the information from there?

Asking because I used to have the ODBC port plug for VW, and the app was communicating with that to pull the driving information.

App via internet to Toyota servers then from there via internet and finally GSM to the car. And the reverse.

However, for efficiency reasons, when your phone is plugged into the car it takes the opportunity to download to the App things like charge status, mileage etc. Mitigates too many users connecting unnecessarily.

15 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

However, for efficiency reasons, when your phone is plugged into the car it takes the opportunity to download to the App things like charge status, mileage etc. Mitigates too many users connecting unnecessarily.

Do mean by bluetooth, wifi or cabled connection ?

I do wonder how a lot of these things will fare when they shut down GSM and 3G in 10 years time...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I do wonder how a lot of these things will fare when they shut down GSM and 3G in 10 years time...

Simple, they'll stop working ... 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

Do mean by Bluetooth, wifi or cabled connection ?

Unsure but most likely via cable or bluetooth.  How my last PHEV worked was via either.

3 hours ago, Nick72 said:

App via internet to Toyota servers then from there via internet and finally GSM to the car. And the reverse.

So the car comes with some kind of GSM card / module that is utilised for that, or it's using mobile phone data?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Big_D said:

It uses your mobile phone data.

Are you sure? Sitting at home I can monitor my car's location when it is static. I can see when and where the garage takes it on post servicing test. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kucyk said:

So the car comes with some kind of GSM card / module that is utilised for that, or it's using mobile phone data?

It "comes with some kind of GSM card / module that is utilised" to report limited trip data back to Toyota - and it does this irrespective of whether your 'phone is in or even connected to your car ... 😉

Edit: OK to clarify just in case it is needed:

1. The car uses a built in SIM card to communicate with Toyota's servers to record trip data.
  2. The MyT app uses whatever connection your 'phone has - so wifi or mobile data - to interact with the Toyota servers and replay that data to your 'phone
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, philip42h said:

It "comes with some kind of GSM card / module that is utilised" to report limited trip data back to Toyota - and it does this irrespective of whether your 'phone is in or even connected to your car ... 😉

Edit: OK to clarify just in case it is needed:

1. The car uses a built in SIM card to communicate with Toyota's servers to record trip data.
  2. The MyT app uses whatever connection your 'phone has - so wifi or mobile data - to interact with the Toyota servers and replay that data to your 'phone

Thanks, I know how the stuff work app wise 😎 was just wondering how the car is reporting status to Toyota servers. 

I guess it’s the same module that is used for eCall.

As the car is in contact with the mothership when stopped, and sends its route data too, I guess it could be used to track a stolen car. 

Anyone know of it being used that way? 

And, given GDPR, would Toyota release data to the police? 

I used to pay for the privilege with my LR but it was based on very similar technology. I guess I paid for monitoring and there may have been more involved in algorithms that alerted to a possible stolen vehicle (they called me twice in 3 years to check that the vehicle hadn't been stolen so it works). I also don't know if behind the scene the Toyota can report a near live position when driven.

I don't see why it can't be used, regards GDPR, I'm sure if you agreed to release the data that would be sufficient. I presume without the monitoring it would not be Thatcham tracker standard so won't reduce insurance premiums but might help get a stolen vehicle back and catch the crooks.

Roy, there is a car location feature in the MyT app and that gives the map current location. Once the car is stopped the track of the previous trips is available. I’ve not been able to test if it tracks when the car is on the move. I’m aware of someone who tracked her husband trips and then complained that the ‘live’ tracking stopped working after an update? I don’t believe it does live tracking but would love to be proved wrong.

• Like 1

Nigel, my insurance company was happy enough that it reported the location when the car had stopped when I dicussed it with them.

1 minute ago, ernieb said:

Nigel, my insurance company was happy enough that it reported the location when the car had stopped when I dicussed it with them.

That's good. Might try that at the next renewal. I don't think it was a big reduction on the Thatcham approved tracker but every little helps.

2 minutes ago, nlee said:

That's good. Might try that at the next renewal. I don't think it was a big reduction on the Thatcham approved tracker but every little helps.

I’m not really sure it made much difference and if someone yanked out the eCall module then the system would not work anyway.

On 1/9/2022 at 9:16 PM, Big_D said:

It uses your mobile phone data.

It can do but it has it's own GSM module. If phone network connection is available it uses that but if it is locked, charging up somewhere away from you, away from home, or just abandoned on a car park not charging, or whatever, you can still check charge status and switch on the AC. No other way that could possibly work than via inbuilt GSM. How my last PHEV worked also.

Tried it and it all works from miles away.

On 1/9/2022 at 10:01 PM, Roy124 said:

Are you sure? Sitting at home I can monitor my car's location when it is static. I can see when and where the garage takes it on post servicing test. 

And set the air con, check charge or whatever. 

On 1/10/2022 at 9:06 AM, ernieb said:

Roy, there is a car location feature in the MyT app and that gives the map current location. Once the car is stopped the track of the previous trips is available. I’ve not been able to test if it tracks when the car is on the move. I’m aware of someone who tracked her husband trips and then complained that the ‘live’ tracking stopped working after an update? I don’t believe it does live tracking but would love to be proved wrong.

Very unlikely it is live. Too much bandwidth and connection time.

Believe what happens is the car logs data live then bursts an abstraction of that back to Toyota when you switch off the ignition. Then the App connects to the Toyota server and downloads the analytics data. I think.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 4:08 PM, philip42h said:

I just knew that this would happen - it's well past twelfth night and Toyota still haven't taken down the Christmas tree ... disgraceful!

😁

Looks like my app last updated on the 10th Jan (Monday). The description is "minor improvements and bug fixes" but it still hasn't taken the Christmas tree down!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links