Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 CVT explained

Roger_N

e-CVT on hybrids.

It's an interesting and informative video - that has been discovered and posted on this forum several times already. Is it worth pinning perhaps (Mike)?

Great video.  Why does the voice sound computer generated?  🤣

56 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Great video.  Why does the voice sound computer generated?  🤣

I thought it was a Japanese person speaking American English !

• 3 weeks later...

There's a fantastic channel on Youtube by chap called " Car Care Nut", a Toyota Master Technician. Lots of very useful videos about Hybrids, maintenance and deep dives into the technology.

This is one on which mode you should be driving in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4iuj-bIRRU&list=PLeFzfl0Q8rQVEbCR2oM6r0-dlwfhI6qcV

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great videos, definitely good to have some understanding of the technology that goes into these vehicles.

It's really like driving a computer reliant so much on software being correct, etc 

Mine is going to the dealer this week to have the JBL infotainment software updated as it is rebooting constantly, hopefully it will be sorted, fingers crossed.

Thankfully it's under warranty, but makes me think about the future beyond warranty period 🤔

Iain

1 hour ago, Hybrid21 said:

Great videos, definitely good to have some understanding of the technology that goes into these vehicles.

It's really like driving a computer reliant so much on software being correct, etc 

Mine is going to the dealer this week to have the JBL infotainment software updated as it is rebooting constantly, hopefully it will be sorted, fingers crossed.

Thankfully it's under warranty, but makes me think about the future beyond warranty period 🤔

Iain

Those videos are really helpful to understand how E-CVT works, it took me a while, and the dealer wasn't able to explain to me how in 30 seconds, that's more me than him, though. Because it did take me a long time to grasp the mechanical workings, OTOH, although I sometimes give the computational side of it all some thought, I am not going there ! Life is too short !!

I wouldn't worry unduly about long term mechanical reliability of the car. The infotainment system you probably just have, either a problem with a chip or a software update is required, but either way, I would expect that to be fixed for good, when you get the car back.

• Thanks 1

Just an update on my JBL problem, in dealers this morning and software updated.

Looks like the audio was updated to 1170. The Navigation software is 1140 and doesn't seem to have been updated. All seems to be working ok now 🤞

Iain

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this from Petrol Ped, who gets to review many cars on long term - 

• Like 2

... and he STILL gets it wrong!! He thinks if you spin the MG's one way it's a motor and if you spin them the other way it's a generator :wallbash:

This is why I sometimes feel Toyota should have just called it the Unicorn Magic Drive instead of trying to explain how it works... :laugh: 

At least he's trying I suppose. I guess it's progress that he at least now understands that it doesn't have any cones or belts! And he does get that the ICE is run more than it needs to move the car and the excess power is used to charge the Battery, which is a thing most people miss!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To me it was a good explanation, I'm more interested in the fact it works reliably and is efficient rather than knowing the ins and outs of how it works, that's the job of Toyota engineers and vehicle technicians.

• Like 3

it just works and does it really well, that's we need to know .........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Firecycle said:

To me it was a good explanation, I'm more interested in the fact it works reliably and is efficient rather than knowing the ins and outs of how it works, that's the job of Toyota engineers and vehicle technicians.

I needed to know what system it was as I would have run a mile from the cone & belt system. It exceeded my expectations so decided to buy. So far I can't say I have been disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Credit to Petrol Ped. He's not got it 100 percent correct, but he now gets it a lot more at least, and no longer hates the transmission.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

I needed to know what system it was as I would have run a mile from the cone & belt system. It exceeded my expectations so decided to buy. So far I can't say I have been disappointed.

Totally agree, the whole, ICE/transmission/EV motor system is in another class built on years of incremental changes and development.  This can also be said to be sure for the HVAC system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing that is not to my liking compared to normal auto transmission is when say for instance you join a motorway and wish to accelerate quickly up to around 70mph.

It revs and revs and revs,  sounding a bit disconcerting, whereas a normal auto would rev but go up the gears reducing the revs with each gear change and giving a better driving experience.

Sounds a bit like a scalded cat 🐱

Iain

44 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

One thing that is not to my liking compared to normal auto transmission is when say for instance you join a motorway and wish to accelerate quickly up to around 70mph.

It revs and revs and revs,  sounding a bit disconcerting, whereas a normal auto would rev but go up the gears reducing the revs with each gear change and giving a better driving experience.

Sounds a bit like a scalded cat 🐱

Iain

Have you tried or do you use sport mode when doing the fast acceleration? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hybrid21 said:

So why is that better ?

The engine can sound coubik when on full acceleration, but I'll take that set against the fact I get 50% better MPG than my auto Focus did, in a much bigger car.

And these days, although I don't dawdle, I don't often use full throttle.

Oh for pete's sake.  The word is c o !Removed!.

NOT what the dumb computer thinks it is.  😁

and what on earth is ubik???

• Haha 1

Well now I know one thing.

We can never have a discussion about sandpaper grades.

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links