Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 CVT explained

Roger_N

I had found that excellent Weber YouTube presentation about the workings of the CVT in the Rav4, it is very well explained, and makes it all seem so simple  .  .  .

Re the raucous nature of the Atkinson cycle engine when occassionally, hard or harsh accelleration is required, meh, what odds, in the circumstances pertaining.

And Mod edit! the pointless fuss(by some) about "seamless" changes, and scratches head in bemusement? 

It also tows effortlessly. 

All in all I REALLY like this transmission.

P.S.

Be even better coupled to a super-economical diesel though!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marcusthehat said:

Be even better coupled to a super-economical diesel though!

Perhaps, if only the purposes of bragging about mpg, but only if you intend to run it for 1-3yrs then hand the car back. Otherwise a diesel engine would be knackered from cycling briefly on & off all the time. Petrol is far safer for Toyota's hybrid design, particularly due to the impact of particulate filters. Diesel needs too long to heat up to most efficient running, which will also have an impact on engine deposits etc etc. Methinks Toyota want to make sure the car survives for its 2nd/3rd/etc owners, with as little refurb work needed on their part as possible! 

Just get a PHEV if you want silly mpg numbers. With the recent price rises its sort of a no-brained now anyway! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mike2222 said:

Just get a PHEV if you want silly mpg numbers.

I took delivery of my 2019 Rav Excel 4x4 a couple of weeks ago after a year of CR-H. I was expecting my fuel costs to rise (quite apart from the global crisis) but on a return trip to Hampshire from Derbyshire which included a day out in the New Forest area I came back, filled up at a cost of a shade over £60 at £1.60.09 per litre  (Sainsbury's) That worked out at under £30 each way for the long drive and on the return leg registered a trip reading of 48.9mpg with my speed range from 55 to 70 mph. via A34, M40, A43, M1.     I am well pleased. I don't think the CR-H fuel figures would have looked much different. The ride is softer than the CR-H and, of course, there's loads more room. Ticks my box !

• Like 2

Yeah, in theory a diesel hybrid would destroy everything for mpg, but in reality diesels mpg is utter garbage when they're cold, and in a hybrid they'd be cold *all* the time - Even my Mk4 has trouble keeping the engine at operating temperature on colder days and that's a 3-pot petrol engine!

The french are the only people who tried it and those cars have some of the worst reliability ratings of their lineup (And from a french manufacturer that's saying something! :laugh: )

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DavidinDerbyshire said:

I took delivery of my 2019 Rav Excel 4x4 a couple of weeks ago after a year of CR-H. I was expecting my fuel costs to rise (quite apart from the global crisis) but on a return trip to Hampshire from Derbyshire which included a day out in the New Forest area I came back, filled up at a cost of a shade over £60 at £1.60.09 per litre  (Sainsbury's) That worked out at under £30 each way for the long drive and on the return leg registered a trip reading of 48.9mpg with my speed range from 55 to 70 mph. via A34, M40, A43, M1.     I am well pleased. I don't think the CR-H fuel figures would have looked much different. The ride is softer than the CR-H and, of course, there's loads more room. Ticks my box !

Did a run last week 33 miles each way about 7 miles of motorway through Liverpool to the A59 on that for around another16 miles. Started off with the current MPG showing around 55 ended up on return showing 62 mpg, drove in ECO mode about 65mph on the motorway and keeping up with traffic the rest of the journey.

Now I know you can’t just rely on the cars MPG read out but even allowing for some error I’m really impressed.

Car is a MY2022 IAWD RAV4 Excel and done around 1000 miles.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The WeberAuto videos are awesome!

I wish Toyota would drop the "eCVT" designation. It's a planetary gear set! There is nothing "CVT" about it.

CVT = Continuously Variable Transmission, which refers to the belt and cone design of real CVT. "Continuously Variable" refering to the fact the belt moves continuously across the cones to change the ratio! No such parts in a Toyota hybrid drivetrain.

Interesting to watch the usual suspects suddenly say the "noise from the engine" isn't "so bad afterall" now they are required by Government diktat to push hybrids and EVs!!

9 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

The WeberAuto videos are awesome!

I wish Toyota would drop the "eCVT" designation. It's a planetary gear set! There is nothing "CVT" about it.

CVT = Continuously Variable Transmission, which refers to the belt and cone design of real CVT. "Continuously Variable" refering to the fact the belt moves continuously across the cones to change the ratio! No such parts in a Toyota hybrid drivetrain.

Interesting to watch the usual suspects suddenly say the "noise from the engine" isn't "so bad afterall" now they are required by Government diktat to push hybrids and EVs!!

The ratio between input and output is continuously variable. The name / label / designation is exactly what it does and regardless of how the continuous variability is obtained that is what it is so the name is perfectly appropriate. Just because early CVTs used cones and belts that does not mean that is the only design that is a "real" CVT.

I understand why people don't like the name but that is usually because they don't know any better and think that under the skin it's really a Daf Variomatic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links