Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Corolla D4D will not start

ClareMan1

Hi , My moms 2009 corolla d4d started for her earlier and some hazard lights came on. When i arrived it started but the lights shown in the attached photo remained on. i didnt drive it anywhere but when i tryed to start it a while later it would not.. just a slight chug and then a clicking sound. I will jump it tomorrow but do ye think it could be anymore?

Also near the car i found this rather heavy piece of metal..i hope its not from the car somewhere!!?

Thanks

image_67146497.JPG

image_67181825.JPG

Your starting problem sounds like a dying Battery. The piece of metal from what I can see from the photo is a worn brake pad.

4 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Your starting problem sounds like a dying battery. The piece of metal from what I can see from the photo is a worn brake pad.

Thanks mate, how would i check if the brake pad is out of her car?

2 minutes ago, ClareMan1 said:

Thanks mate, how would i check if the brake pad is out of her car?

You first need to check if your car has disc brakes front and back. On the front wheels you can probably check visually by turning the front wheel outwards (a torch can help inspection). On the rear the wheel may have to be removed to see properly. Others will chime in with with better information as I’m not familiar with the 09 Avensis, and it’s a long time since I’ve worked on cars.

Hmm, you say those lights stayed on while the engine was running? The Battery one indicates low voltage and is normal when the engine isn't running, but if it stays lit when the engine is running it suggests a problem with the Battery or alternator (Most likely the Battery if it has trouble starting).

The yellow one looks like the warning light for the fuel filter in the engine bay (Is a bit blurry, hard to see!); Either it's full of water or it's blocked I guess? Either way, I think it needs changing. Is a relatively simple job, if it's anything like my old Yaris D4D.

I also hope that pad isn't from the car as brake pads should not just fall off! If it has alloys it should be easy enough to look at the calipers to see if one is noticeably missing one! I'm hoping one of your neighbours is a DIY mechanic and left one out after changing his brakes and a fox or something has just brought it to your driveway :laugh: 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 10:34 PM, Cyker said:

I also hope that pad isn't from the car as brake pads should not just fall off! If it has alloys it should be easy enough to look at the calipers to see if one is noticeably missing one! I'm hoping one of your neighbours is a DIY mechanic and left one out after changing his brakes and a fox or something has just brought it to your driveway :laugh: 

When they're worn completely down to the backing plate like that, and the disc has also worn thin, they can slip out through the clearance gap between the disc and the carrier bracket.

Battery light on followed by a flat Battery suggests a charging system failure.