Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Used RAV4 more expensive than new?

mobi

I am not a Toyota owner at the moment but interested in buying a RAV4 in UK. I find it bizarre that 1-2 year old used RAV4 costing same or even more than new car's advertised price in Toyota UK website!

In spite of all news about chip shortage etc. why would anyone pay more for used car when new car can be ordered at a lower price?

10 minutes ago, mobi said:

I am not a Toyota owner at the moment but interested in buying a RAV4 in UK. I find it bizarre that 1-2 year old used RAV4 costing same or even more than new car's advertised price in Toyota UK website!

In spite of all news about chip shortage etc. why would anyone pay more for used car when new car can be ordered at a lower price?

That’s the case now with many cars because of the high demand and low supply, the reason simply is because you can have the used one immediately or in a very short time where new might take 12 months or even more waiting. Not a right time for buying a car either new or used tbh. After 1-2 years perhaps the market will level itself. 

17 minutes ago, mobi said:

Why would anyone pay more for used car when new car can be ordered at a lower price?

Presumably some people prefer to pay a little more and get the car there and then (even if it's a second hand) instead of waiting 6-7 months (if you're lucky) for the ordered new one. 

I was offered a used RAV HEV a few weeks ago and pointed out I could buy a new one to same spec, cheaper. They just shrugged their shoulders - a week later it had sold. To be honest I can’t get excited about it but I would never be that desperate to pay over the odds. The current market is creating over optimistic chancers. You only have to look on Autitrader at some of the silly prices sellers are asking for what essentially is scrap. Example; £1000 for an old Volvo estate that hasn’t moved for a year, no MOT but allegedly is a good runner?! 

When we ordered our RAV we test drove a used 2019 Excel.  It felt new, it drove fantastically, with only a relatively few miles on the clock.  We only had 10 weeks to wait but if we had had to wait 6 months or whatever for new I would have seriously considered buying it.  With the extended warranty it would have made a lot of sense and would have got me in a good, warranty covered car that I could have traded in for new in a couple of years.

• Like 2

Hmm, I think it is all personal choice. 

I can't imagine paying higher price for used car. May be I shall wait. I think Toyota will launch Corolla Cross in UK next year. If so, will evaluate between RAV4 and Corolla Cross.

• Like 1

I've just seen pricing for the new B4zx.  Cheapest version is almost 42k so not for me.

Definitely interested in the Corolla Cross though.

10 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I've just seen pricing for the new B4zx.  Cheapest version is almost 42k so not for me.

Definitely interested in the Corolla Cross though.

I wasn't aware that Toyota UK had released any pricing for the bz4x as yet. Where did you see this figure?

It was on their FB page just now.  42k to 52 for the top end

14 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

It was on their FB page just now.  42k to 52 for the top end

Ta, and that gives a link to today's addition to the mag: All-new Toyota bZ4X makes production debut which gives a reasonably full price list ...

I suspect that will appear on the proper forum shortly! 🙂

Thanks again!

• Like 1

When my uncle was looking for a car, he was finding that dealers were offering no haggling room at all on already high-priced used cars, but were willing to offer huge discounts on newer ones (He didn't even really haggle and was initially offered £4k off a brand new Corolla estate, plus another £1k off if he bought it on finance!)

The only reason he didn't do it was the lengthy lead time, and he'd also heard about my experiences with Jemca, which put him off. Ended up getting a Kia (Ceed?) estate instead...!

Toyota's comments on the page about how it is competitively priced compared to other evs is true but also points out how pricey the damn things are.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Toyota's comments on the page about how it is competitively priced compared to other evs is true but also points out how pricey the damn things are.

And the EU/GB govts want everyone buying them by 2030! Simply unaffordable for the majority and will lead lower income families to keeping older petrol and diesel cars even longer. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links