Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2019 toyota corolla 1.8 hybrid sports touring

BazzerH

Hey guys/gals, first time poster here so go easy lol,

been having an issue with my car, when starting it the check engine warning comes up, engine starts but cant get above 1000 revs then cuts out and hybrid warning comes up, had it in at toyota and they thought it was spark plugs as the code read "low engine power" so they put a new set on it, but it only worked for the drive home, since i then have had the fuel drained and replaced with v power, 12vt Battery replaced and the hybrid system reset and hybrid Battery cooling fan filter changed yet here i am back to square 1, unfortunately my  nearest dealership is 1 hr drive away (a tbh they dont come that recommended) and my nearest after that is 1hr 30mins away, has any body else had this issue?

engine.jpg

hybrid.jpg

Hi, 

you have an issue with your hybrid system, could be anything from a software glitch to the engine, transmission, inverter-converter, hybrid Battery, clutch, many things. You need to do diagnostic first to get the fault codes, then starting from there. You have “hybrid system malfunction “ plus engine management light ON , in that case it is very important to diagnose the issues preferably with tech stream Toyota code reader and to not drive the car at all or you may risk having a bigger issue and expensive repair. If not able to do diagnostic with Toyota tool, at least you can get a Carista obd 2 reader and with that you can also check for the faults and see what will show. Check also your inverter coolant reservoir if there is enough quantity and if it’s moving, inverter coolant pump failure can trigger that hybrid system malfunction and if it’s that and you keep driving the car you may fry your inverter and e motors. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carista-Bluetooth-Adapter-Scanner-Technology/dp/B00YVHGTBM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=LWNRJE8M5NC4&keywords=carista+obd2&qid=1639834809&sprefix=Cari%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A2FFESA4WJEXUA&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFVUzQzUFRWVTcySjUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzOTQ5ODQxVUcxUEY0M0w4SVFPJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzNTM2NzIzREVOSUdIWUQ4MTdHJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

that thing recently helped me diagnose similar issues with my hybrid. 
Good luck 👍

• Like 1

Putting new plugs in and hoping for the best doesn't sound like the result of a competent diagnosis, especially not on a 2 year old car that's unlikely to have been driven enough to wear out the original set. Perhaps the 1k ceiling is a limp-home mode and symptomatic of an electrical issue rather than a fault with the engine itself? In any case, you can never make an accurate diagnosis based on fault codes alone, they are just pointers to help determine the appropriate test procedures that will (hopefully) lead to identifying the actual fault and root cause.

@TonyHSD did you sort your car out? What was wrong with it?

31 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

Putting new plugs in and hoping for the best doesn't sound like the result of a competent diagnosis, especially not on a 2 year old car that's unlikely to have been driven enough to wear out the original set. Perhaps the 1k ceiling is a limp-home mode and symptomatic of an electrical issue rather than a fault with the engine itself? In any case, you can never make an accurate diagnosis based on fault codes alone, they are just pointers to help determine the appropriate test procedures that will (hopefully) lead to identifying the actual fault and root cause.

Hi, 

thanks for asking. My car seems to be fine after I have reset it, the fault hasn’t returned and I traveled over 1000 miles since in all situations even under hard acceleration it drives very good no problems at all. What has caused the warming light remains unknown for now, could be the software glitch that the update supposed to fix, or might be something else. Nothing mechanically broken, transmission, damper clutch, all seems to be fine. No other codes or warning lights were stored, it might just been too much boost from the petrol engine and e motors were unable to keep up with it for some reason, because the car went like a rocket for a few seconds than lost all power and stopped. I will keep driving it and if anything happens again will give an update 😉👍

Cheers 

• Like 2

Could be something as weird as an insect getting somewhere it shouldn't and being fried. Once had a computer cut out because a spider had crawled into a fanless ATX PSU and became a new part of the power electronics for a very 'short' moment :laugh: 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

tbh this car has been used as a taxi and in the last 2 1/2 yrs has covered 84k miles so has been well driven, the 1k ceiling is actually as you try to start the car, the engine as a rule would not normally come in until say turned the heater fans on etc, but atm its trying to kick in straight away, struggles to get to 1k revs then cuts out with a clunk clunk and you can literally feel the engine shake in the bonnet.

• Like 1

I had a similar thing last year with engine starting but lumpy and warning lights and take to dealer notification. 

Mine was a rodent ate the wiring to the injectors. One was completely severed at the front so was obvious, but it could be further around the loom. 

I soldered some wire in the missing section to get it to the dealer. They replaced the loom, £2000, but it was covered by insurance luckily. 

Just a thought 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jiff said:

I had a similar thing last year with engine starting but lumpy and warning lights and take to dealer notification. 

Mine was a rodent ate the wiring to the injectors. One was completely severed at the front so was obvious, but it could be further around the loom. 

I soldered some wire in the missing section to get it to the dealer. They replaced the loom, £2000, but it was covered by insurance luckily. 

Just a thought 

I remember your case, it’s scary 😟 what rodent are capable of., once I parked my car in a dark spot at quiet car park where rats are as big as cats and after few minutes while I was inside something started to chewing under the car., no joke seriously, I quickly realised what that noise can be and kicked to footwell, tho noise stopped immediately, and I drove off shortly afterwards. On research later next day I found that rodents are also attracted by the high voltage orange wires on Evs and hybrids since this orange coloured wire covers been made with sort of organic materials., 👍

I vaguely remember reading one university in the USA developed capsaicin-impregnated cable insulation as local squirrels kept digging up and chewing through the power lines that ran under the grounds, and it worked for a while but then the squirrels started developing a taste for it! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2021 at 1:40 PM, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

you have an issue with your hybrid system, could be anything from a software glitch to the engine, transmission, inverter-converter, hybrid battery, clutch, many things. You need to do diagnostic first to get the fault codes, then starting from there. You have “hybrid system malfunction “ plus engine management light ON , in that case it is very important to diagnose the issues preferably with tech stream Toyota code reader and to not drive the car at all or you may risk having a bigger issue and expensive repair. If not able to do diagnostic with Toyota tool, at least you can get a Carista obd 2 reader and with that you can also check for the faults and see what will show. Check also your inverter coolant reservoir if there is enough quantity and if it’s moving, inverter coolant pump failure can trigger that hybrid system malfunction and if it’s that and you keep driving the car you may fry your inverter and e motors. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carista-Bluetooth-Adapter-Scanner-Technology/dp/B00YVHGTBM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=LWNRJE8M5NC4&keywords=carista+obd2&qid=1639834809&sprefix=Cari%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A2FFESA4WJEXUA&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFVUzQzUFRWVTcySjUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzOTQ5ODQxVUcxUEY0M0w4SVFPJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzNTM2NzIzREVOSUdIWUQ4MTdHJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

that thing recently helped me diagnose similar issues with my hybrid. 
Good luck 👍

Tony, is the linked to reader compatible with my year and model of car as it says check compatibility but doesn't give a list of compatible cars? also would you be able to link me to some genuine inverter coolant as all i seem to be able to find appears to be normal pink engine coolant and im under the impression they are 2 different fluids.

thanks mate ;-)

On 12/19/2021 at 12:01 AM, Cyker said:

Could be something as weird as an insect getting somewhere it shouldn't and being fried. Once had a computer cut out because a spider had crawled into a fanless ATX PSU and became a new part of the power electronics for a very 'short' moment :laugh: 

Which is the (possibly apocryphal) explanation for the computing term 'bug' 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, BazzerH said:

Tony, is the linked to reader compatible with my year and model of car as it says check compatibility but doesn't give a list of compatible cars? also would you be able to link me to some genuine inverter coolant as all i seem to be able to find appears to be normal pink engine coolant and im under the impression they are 2 different fluids.

thanks mate 😉

Hi, 

you have pink and red Toyota genuine coolant usually available to buy, as far as I know your car uses pink long life coolant, here it is from eBay sold by a dealer., I usually buy from them. 👍 If you have coolant leak , you need to find from where, fix it and then replace the coolant, if only top up up to 500ml for a year of driving everyday it’s normal, if it’s more then that you need to,check the system for leaks. There is also a radiator for the inverter coolant on the front. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Super-Long-Life-Coolant-Pink-5-Litres-Pre-Mixed-0888980072-/223063212077?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Carista obd 2 is compatible with your car although there is another reader called obd link lx which is more advanced to give you more data and faster speeds when used with other apps, however I never used one and not sure how good it is for finding faults. Carista are very good  for the latest however you need to buy a subscription or use the free one month trial. 
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966913053.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.50b46467IXypI6&algo_pvid=1b0bb21d-14d1-460a-8c85-32a8215ca863&algo_exp_id=1b0bb21d-14d1-460a-8c85-32a8215ca863-11&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"10000015802688307"}
Good luck 

• 3 weeks later...

quick update, after all i had done my last plan of attack was the coolant as it was below the minimum, had it out on a run, as im a cabbie i simulated working for an hour, did a little run then stopped for 10 mins, did another then stopped etc, finally plucked the courage up to drive the 5 miles to my nearest main town, got there fine parked up, switched all off for 10mins turned it back on, fine drove 100yrds then beep beep started, had to pull over and eventually get recovered so its now sat on my driveway gathering dust until i can save up to have it recovered the 50 miles to my nearest dealer and have it looked at....so not a happy toyota owner to say the least.

• 3 months later...
On 1/5/2022 at 9:58 PM, BazzerH said:

quick update, after all i had done my last plan of attack was the coolant as it was below the minimum, had it out on a run, as im a cabbie i simulated working for an hour, did a little run then stopped for 10 mins, did another then stopped etc, finally plucked the courage up to drive the 5 miles to my nearest main town, got there fine parked up, switched all off for 10mins turned it back on, fine drove 100yrds then beep beep started, had to pull over and eventually get recovered so its now sat on my driveway gathering dust until i can save up to have it recovered the 50 miles to my nearest dealer and have it looked at....so not a happy toyota owner to say the least.

Any update if you fixed it and what was the issue?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links