Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AC Condenser

roks

I've been thinking, since I have the aluminium flakes issue (from vents), I should change the evaporator at the same time?

I've been looking at some youtube videos, different people use different techniques, some take the whole dash out, others take part of it out and wiggle out the evap. It might take me couple of day...maybe 3 but I think I can do it.

If you guys have any practical tips/hacks please share, I've got access to the service manual for guidance but that can get too messy sometimes.

Now I guess I'll be looking for a decent evap.....might go to Mr.T for this one know how much work is involved.

Need to get rid of the flakes in the cabin, I'm told it's the evaporator coating coming off.

Yes, there was quite a long thread on that issue. The posters name was chiefchappers if you want to search it out. It ran for ages and was very informative. Car was an Auris.

(I find the forums search facility about the worst I have ever encountered on any site tbh which is why you can do it :-)) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Found it, its quite long, thats it, couple of the guy on on that chat had their evap replaced.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Changed the condenser, added 40ml of pag46 oil as per toyota manual, will take to shop for vac and recharge at the weekend.

One word of caution, dont be leaning over the ports when undoing the bolts, the rubber bung flew out like a gun being fired, luckily I was away undoing the other port.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roks said:

Changed the condenser, added 40ml of pag46 oil as per toyota manual, will take to shop for vac and recharge at the weekend.

One word of caution, dont be leaning over the ports when undoing the bolts, the rubber bung flew out like a gun being fired, luckily I was away undoing the other port.

Did you vent the gas to the atmosphere? 

You do realise that anything you have added i.e. oil, will come out during a vacuum test? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Stivino said:

Did you vent the gas to the atmosphere? 

No, I took it to kwikfit to discharge the gas, 314g of gas and 3ml of oil came out apparently.

I ment on the new condenser, comes sealed and pressurised, when you remove the temporary bolts, the rubber bungs fly out, can easily do some damage if you get hit.

56 minutes ago, Stivino said:

You do realise that anything you have added i.e. oil, will come out during a vacuum test? 

OK, I didn't know that, how about the oil in the compressor?

The new condenser will have been under vacuum, not pressure.  It's like that to keep moisture out. (pressurised air contains a lot of moisture)

Creating a vacuum reduces pressure so that liquids evaporate into a gas.  I'm not sure if the vacuum would be low enough to vaporise the oil.

• Thanks 1

Well  its all charged up, blowing cold air, will be a real test in the summer, it was freezing outside yesterday.

The usual guy wasn't there, I hope this guy did the vacuum properly, told him system has been open and needs vacuum, told me it wil be 1.5hrs but was all done in 45mins, filled up 450g of freon.

I'm also assuming there's no leaks otherwise he wouldn't have charged it up?

It almost certainly won't be Freon, R134a is more likely.

While actual Freon has been banned for quite a long time now, a lot of people still just call all refrigerants freon. It certainly rolls off the tongue easier than 2-3-3-3-Tetrafluoropropene :laugh: