Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SR180 alternator

Weary

Hello all.

Warning lights came on my '08 SR180 last night - Battery, warning triangle, fuel filter!, and "check battery". I got home okay, but when I checked, it wasn't charging, so I guess I'll need to recondition or exchange the alternator. I was just checking prices out, but there seems to be two options; 100amp and 130amp. Any ideas as to which is standard? It was more than capable before it went !Removed! up!

Thanks,

Paul.

Easiest is to check the part number on yours, and get the same.

Or you can go to japan-parts.eu and enter your VIN, find the alternator and see the part number.

• Like 1

If you want to be sure, the one on the car should have a rating on it, so take a look around it for a tag plate.

Should be taking it off tomorrow, so will check it then. I can use my brother's garage and lift, so might as well do oil and filters, new belt, and check the tracking too!

Thanks for the advice.

Being Toyota, I guess it is a Denso alternator. Denso makes great parts but their alternators seem to be a weak link. I have had to rebuild or replace these alternators in both my old corolla and Aygo after 8 years or more of ownership. While chosing the alternator for Aygo I noticed that they were two different types with different amp ratings. This time I chose a non Denso alternator. 

I don't think the exchange unit was a Denso one, so hopefully I won't have any more trouble with it.

My next job is to see if I can improve the dreadful fuel economy! I may try getting it re-mapped. Hopefully that will improve the low down grunt, which is very poor below 1500rpm.