Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid 2014 brake fluid

Matt85uk

Hello everyone 

Two months ago I got full service in Toyota. I paid +£500 for service including gearbox and brake fluid replacement.

was topping up windscreen washer and noticed that brake fluid level is low and dirty. I had low level since I spotted it in September.(car parked on even level) 

Correct me if I am wrong - the level should be at full mark or at least between full and low?

thanks for help

A57A4BA1-E6E3-43B9-9FDF-1808C13E867B.jpeg

Sorry forgot to add

Based on level and colour of the fluid I started to think that I paid a lot of money for something which was not done.

thanks

From the look of the reservoir, the fluid is just above low.

I would have been inclined to check fluids, etc just after the service - that way you would have had more comeback if the brake fluid level  was low. Now you're two months down the line, it would be more difficult to prove the work wasn't done.

Is the brake fluid dirty or is it the outside of the reservoir.

Don’t want to touch anything if I am there to complain. It’s 2 months since but when I leave a car for service I trust these people.

Just need your opinion. There is no way that fresh fluid will go dirty within 2 months, is it?

Hi, the fluid level is exactly the right spot if the car was in ready mode while this picture was taken, when switch off the car and wait for the system to depressurised the level should rise a bit and max level should be up to the upper mark. The colour of the brake fluid does not look very dirty but does not look very clean either, you need to clean the reservoir outside to make better judgment. , also it doesn’t look like someone been working on recently. You can purchase a brake fluid tester like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brake-Fluid-Tester-Indicator-Testing/dp/B07QMRJFJ9/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1B5CZADCRF0HX&keywords=brake+fluid+tester&qid=1639932981&sprefix=Brak%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A1WAQBWPRQLJ49&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNDhEVE5LQTNaME1YJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODAwODg0MUdBNVZDUUJNODBVOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTI0MTU4U1BORUk1SDVMUlVQJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

and check the moisture levels of the fluid, if anything above the normal index then likely the garage has skipped on your brake fluid change and you can take it from there . 
Good luck 

• Like 1

There is plenty fluid in there, it is well above the minimum level, it doesn't look dirty either.

As the pads wear the level drops.  If you were to replace the pads, you would probably find that the level would come up.

If the pads are worn and someone tops up the level, that's when you get spillage when the pistons are pushed back.

Have you looked at your pads?

• Like 2

Guys thank you for tour prompt reply👍🏻

I will clean reservoir as there may be some dirt on it and will upload another picture.

there is plenty of pads left👍🏻

thank you 

Like Stephen said, it should only be all the way to the max when the volume of the system is at it's minimum, i.e. when all pads/shoes are unworn.

Judging by the lack of disturbance to the dirt on & around the cap, I would be inclined to agree that nobody touched it, not even to do a hydrometer check. The only way I'd ever have confidence that my brake fluid had been replaced is if I'd done it myself. Same goes for valve clearance checks on engines that require it, or any procedure that fails to leave conclusive evidence of work having actually been carried out.

If the pads are new, then you would need to top up the fluid, as eventually it will fall below low due to pads being used up.

As said above, if they did flush it, they would need to top it up, but the cap looks untouched. You can take off 1 wheel and check the nipple, there should still be some oil residue around it, from flushing, if it was done.

On hybrids it is important to note that there are 3 mark levels instead of only 2 like on non hybrid cars. The hybrids use electric brake pump booster and the brake system pressurises and depressurises every time the car has been turned on or off. The max level is when the ignition is off and there is no pressure in the system, the middle mark is when the car is in ready mode (ignition on) and ready to drive. To do a proper check and top up the car needs to be off, parked on level ground and wait until hear the pump de pressurises itself, then if the fluid is below the top max mark can add a bit. The difference between max and middle is smaller than the difference between middle and minimum which is around 150-200ml. 👍 if you zoom in you can see how looks on my car when ignition is off, slightly below max but there is some wear on the discs/pads.  

0B5549E6-B407-45BD-8256-CB9F923AAA73.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thank You for help so far

I cleaned reservoir but it still looks dirty on inside. Don’t want to open it yet. I ordered the checking device as recommended by TonyHSD, should arrive on Wednesday so I will check it and will update

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone 

okay so I got the tester delivered today. I checked it and it’s green as seen on attached picture.

The fear of being “🤓” by Toyota was just my head imagination. No conspiracy or sabotage 🥳

However the level is still low.Brake pads are in good order, still plenty left. Should I leave it or top up?

Thanks 

B40FF154-904B-4109-9C25-4535906A0100.jpeg

• Like 1

You would need to top it up eventually, as brake pads wear off over time so more fluid is used to make up the slack, better do it now and you won't have to think about it.

If you don't know which fluid was used, check owners manual to see what should be used.

Okay thanks

on the cap it says dot3 but does it matter which make?

can I use dot3/4 from Shell garage for example?

Thanks 

On 12/20/2021 at 12:37 PM, TonyHSD said:

On hybrids it is important to note that there are 3 mark levels instead of only 2 like on non hybrid cars. The hybrids use electric brake pump booster and the brake system pressurises and depressurises every time the car has been turned on or off. The max level is when the ignition is off and there is no pressure in the system, the middle mark is when the car is in ready mode (ignition on) and ready to drive. To do a proper check and top up the car needs to be off, parked on level ground and wait until hear the pump de pressurises itself, then if the fluid is below the top max mark can add a bit. The difference between max and middle is smaller than the difference between middle and minimum which is around 150-200ml. 👍 if you zoom in you can see how looks on my car when ignition is off, slightly below max but there is some wear on the discs/pads.  

0B5549E6-B407-45BD-8256-CB9F923AAA73.jpeg

Your car looks pristine Tony. With all the miles you travel I don’t know how you find the time to maintain and clean the car.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Matt85uk said:

Okay thanks

on the cap it says dot3 but does it matter which make?

can I use dot3/4 from shell garage for example?

Thanks 

From what i remember, you can mix dot 3 and dot4.

However do not put dot5, as it's not compatible (but dot5.1 should be also fine to mix with dot3 and dot4).

I personally would go with dot4, any make is fine.

• Like 1

DOT 5.1 is ideal for modern cars with better braking systems such as ABS etc, it has a higher boiling point and is not expensive 

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Your car looks pristine Tony. With all the miles you travel I don’t know how you find the time to maintain and clean the car.

Thanks Joe, 

tbh I always find time for my car 🤣, I would cancel a shift of work just to have time to clean and service my joy and pride myself. That picture was taken just after I have cleaned the whole car including the engine bay, ready for mot test. , did spent good few hours though to make it look from that to that. 🙂👍

09E2F042-133C-4BB9-8AA0-2203FA4FD908.jpeg

8BBE6A57-6876-435A-A4CA-26ABF3483AC8.jpeg

2 hours ago, Matt85uk said:

Hello everyone 

okay so I got the tester delivered today. I checked it and it’s green as seen on attached picture.

The fear of being “🤓” by Toyota was just my head imagination. No conspiracy or sabotage 🥳

However the level is still low.Brake pads are in good order, still plenty left. Should I leave it or top up?

Thanks 

B40FF154-904B-4109-9C25-4535906A0100.jpeg

Hi, you can buy any dot3 brake fluid 500ml bottle will be enough and a syringe 200ml with 20cm silicone tube attached and suck all the fluid from the reservoir then add new one up to the max level. 

Important to note:

Unlock the car , open drivers door and leave it open you will be greeted with noise from the electric brake pump, open the bonnet and wait to hear the same noise from the pump again, after you hear that noise check brake fluid level and make a note where exactly is. Find a suitable container for the old fluid, open cap and suck as much as you can from the reservoir, maybe a few tries with the syringe., then add new fluid to the max, replace the cap. Make sure while working on especially when there is no fluid nn the reservoir  NOT to close the door or start the car, if that happens the system will suck air and then you have to do bleeding from all 4 callipers  or visit Toyota dealer for flush the system with diagnostic tools. It’s very easy job just make sure you don’t make that eventual mistake to activate brake pump with empty reservoir. 
Good luck 

• Sad 1

There’s no need to suck any of your good fluid out, just top it up.

You can 500ml of DOT4 in Asda for about £4.

6 hours ago, Catlover said:

I was thinking exactly the same. It is a credit to you.

Thank You very much for your help

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 🥳 

• Thanks 1

kwik fit did that to a friend of mine... said that the brake fluid was changed and they didnt do it.... my friend test it and it was 3% water, went back and they actually did it 2nd time...

• Like 1