Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Cross

FROSTYBALLS

Lol, the next generation hybrids gen5 looks promising, can’t wait to see what next Prius will have?! , the same 2.0l 197bhp fwd will be a killer.  
Thanks for sharing this article.👍

I have the new 2022 American Version. Does anyone know how to use the auto high beams? It is very confusing.  Thanks

Andrea

It is a surprising move that the 5th Gen hybrid go to Corolla Cross first. I believe it is driven by the sale number of compact SUV and crossover. Corolla uses prius 4th gen powertrain.  Corolla and Yaris sale number are really good, 3rd for Corolla and 2nd on their classes. 

Crossover is not that popular yet in Europe, but the practicality and versatility may gain sale number soon. 

On 12/22/2021 at 5:06 PM, Andrea1 said:

I have the new 2022 American Version. Does anyone know how to use the auto high beams? It is very confusing.  Thanks

Andrea

It is part of safety sense 2, automatically turns off the high beam when the camera detect another car comes. It has both radar and camera system to detect pedestrian, lanes, etc.  This safety sense standard in even Yaris class, something that you have to pay for few thousands more in other brands including some luxury cars. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AisinW said:

This safety sense standard in even Yaris class, something that you have to pay for few thousands more in other brands including some luxury cars. 

Auto high beam has been a standard feature in other brands for a while.

for example, our 2020 i20 also has automatic high beam, lane keep assist, lane departure warning, driver attention alert, autonomous emergency braking, emergency stop signal, speed sensitive  automatic door locking, impact sensing automatic door unlocking, and so on. These have been available on the i20 since 2018.

• Like 2

Excactly, it has been standard for a while and option since Auris facelift 2015.  My point is safety for all, not just for the rich like in the past. Many Asian brands including Hyundai and Toyota are the earliest that bring it as a standard for cheap cars

1 hour ago, AisinW said:

Excactly, it has been standard for a while and option since Auris facelift 2015.  My point is safety for all, not just for the rich like in the past. Many Asian brands including Hyundai and Toyota are the earliest that bring it as a standard for cheap cars

Do you mean "cheap cars" as in "lower priced cars"......... no new cars are cheap, just that some are lower priced then others.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yaris is comparable to Polo, scoda Fabia. We don't need to get BMW3 series or C class for getting excellent standard safety these days.  We get alot for Yaris price. I don't care much about durable PVC interior as long as I got safety standard like Yaris today. Even better witj Corolla. Camry unfortunately is discontinued in Europe because of pricing wrong strategy. Toyota do not offer basic trim like LE in USA. We don't get sub £30 for Camry in Europe. 

• Like 1

We also get a lot of price for the Yaris! :laugh: 

I get that cars are expensive now, just with all the tech and inflation, but when I read articles with lines describing the Mk4 Yaris as a good cheap first car I'm have to question what the reviewer is smoking!! £20-25k is not cheap!!! Esp. not for a first car!!

Personally I'm bracing myself to expect small cars to get more expensive as they are increasingly harder to make than big cars, esp. to survive crashes with the increasing number of elephantine land boats everywhere. People already think I was crazy to spend so much money on a Mk4 when I could have gotten a Corolla for nearly the same money!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cyker said:

People already think I was crazy to spend so much money on a Mk4 when I could have gotten a Corolla for nearly the same money!

Yes, I was beginning to think the same of myself. Over here the promotional discount offered by Toyota was 1500€ on the Yaris, now reduced to 1000€, and the Corolla stands at 4500€, which puts a top spec Yaris at the same price as a mid level Corolla!

I didn't go for the top spec Yaris. The problem for me, was that I didn't want a car the size of the Corolla at 4,35m, or the C-HR at 4,40m, long they are too big in my books, although I could just about get either of them in the garage. The sweet spot size-wise was the Yaris Cross, but it's magic doesn't work on me.

Now having just about a week with the Yaris, it does all the things I thought it would, but it is more cramped in the back the expected, which is not a big problem, given that most of the time, say 51 weeks of a year, there's just the two of us. The LTA on country roads is annoying me and serves little useful purpose under those circumstances, I'll have to get into the habit of turning it off. It's very useful with ACC on the autoroute, though. It's a shame it can't be activated like the ACC.

• Like 2

Latest Yaris beats Mercedes eqs at the safety test for turning into oncoming traffic, the Yaris spots the car coming and activates  the brakes where the Mercedes failed badly. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yeah, the discounts available for the Corolla are staggering compared to the Yaris - My uncle was offered £5000 off a new one when he was looking for used cars, and he didn't even really haggle! Most of what I got off was really just refunding me the money I wasted on a useless repair due to their half-arsed diagnostics, and the rest was the scrappage for the Mk2, and both of those required lots of angry shouting to get, and together they were still less than £5000!

I'm just glad the Mk4 is so good that I feel it's worth the money or I'd be really pissed!

Edit: Yea, the Mk4 is probably one of the safest cars you can get right now; They really knocked it out of the park! Incredible considering how small it is and the lack of space for crumple-zones, although with so many airbags I am a little worried about the sheer number of explosive charges it has scattered about compared to most other cars :laugh: Hopefully there won't be an airbag recall in the future!!!

• Like 2

https://jalopnik.com/land-rover-discovery-sport-rolls-over-after-hitting-toy-1848269325

51 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Edit: Yea, the Mk4 is probably one of the safest cars you can get right now; They really knocked it out of the park! Incredible considering how small it is and the lack of space for crumple-zones, although with so many airbags I am a little worried about the sheer number of explosive charges it has scattered about compared to most other cars :laugh: Hopefully there won't be an airbag recall in the future!!!

• Haha 3

Ahaha yea someone posted that earlier in the week! I guess I'm not the only one who has trouble with spacial awareness of the corners of the new-shape Yaris :laugh: 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am waiting for Corolla cross but I hope it has the catalytic converter made theft proof. Realised that cat converter are stolen from Corolla. 

21 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

I am waiting for Corolla cross but I hope it has the catalytic converter made theft proof. Realised that cat converter are stolen from Corolla. 

The new TNGA platform has solved that issue as Toyota now fit manicats so there is nothing to steal from underneath the car. 

Anyone stealing parts of the exhaust system from underneath a TNGA Corolla or other TNGA based vehicle are going to be in for a disappointment. 

It's not that big problem since most 5 years old car owner had full coverage insurance.  What make me sad is 2nd gen Prius owners who have no money for any repair for 1000 or more.  That car can last decades, 400k+ miles if maintained properly.   I still believe putting catshield is still beneficial. TNGA is more about better suspension setup and stiffer frame, make it more compliance and agile. Leaving the past of boring ride. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

The new TNGA platform has solved that issue as Toyota now fit manicats so there is nothing to steal from underneath the car. 

Anyone stealing parts of the exhaust system from underneath a TNGA Corolla or other TNGA based vehicle are going to be in for a disappointment. 

Thanks @forkingabout, but there seems to be lot of issues about this in the forum here, and it appears that there is no difference in position of the cat converter in Auris and Corolla

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

Thanks @forkingabout, but there seems to be lot of issues about this in the forum here, and it appears that there is no difference in position of the cat converter in Auris and Corolla

The cat itself is part of the exhaust manifold, however there is a second cat (particulate filter) similar to Auris that gets stolen, and it does not matter actually if it’s worth something to the thieves but the replacement for the car owners is the same trouble, money and time. Yes Corolla also been targeted, not as much , but there are recorded cases, in general it’s on decline. 👍

• Like 1

That second catalytic converter is not monitored by the oxygen sensors and will not effect anything or check engine light.  It is still not as polluting as non hybrid in city per km. In worst case scenario, we can replace it with an empty  resonator that fits. Unfortunately, it may fail MOT if the MOT guy knows it. For older cars in tight budget owner, it is probably the greenest solution instead of Junk or total the car. 

Most newer cars has the head and exhaust manifold as one unit and the main catalytic converter is right after exhaust manifold with pre and post O2 sensors. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spo2 said:

Have you ordered a Corolla Cross? If so do you know what the trim levels are and what colors are available and the prices. I can't find much info on the european spec apart from the links at the start of this topic from FROSTYBALLS.

@bigblock, I have not ordered - the order book are not open yet but the dealer told me that deliveries will be in autumn, so we should expect order books to open by spring.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spo2 said:

@bigblock, I have not ordered - the order book are not open yet but the dealer told me that deliveries will be in autumn, so we should expect order books to open by spring.

OK thanks for that. I had a feeling I had missed something for a moment. I am interested in the Corolla Cross as well.