Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Cross

FROSTYBALLS

"Initially, the Toyota Corolla Cross will only be available with the 2.0-litre hybrid system, though the 1.8-litre hybrid version is set to follow in 2023."

Source -  Toyota Corolla Cross 2.0 Hybrid (2023) | Reviews | Complete Car

Not long after I posted above, I got a phone call from my local Toyota dealer.
They took delivery of a Corolla Cross last night, and asked if I wanted to drop down for a look-see.
It would have been rude to say no...........so

First impression - easier to get into than my Corolla Saloon.
New hybrid system is definitely better than the 2019 system in my car.
Comes with a temporary spare wheel - one big positive there.
More responsive. It would be, 2.0 vs 1.8, and the new hybrid system as well, helping it up the road.
Comfy enough too, similar to the Saloon.

A couple of negative points - an all black interior similar to the other half's Yaris Cross. Perhaps a different variant will sport a lighter interior.
Variants here in Ireland will be Luna, Sport, and Sol. This one is a Sport.
Also, when on a dual carriageway/motorway, there seems to be a lot of interior road/wind noise that seems localised to behind the front seats. This could be down to the internal shape of the Cross vs the Saloon.
Both points are not deal-breakers, just annoying to me. Something to get used to? ......... maybe.

IMG_20221026_161117822_HDR.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

why do manufacturers assume everyone wants a black interior?

• Like 1

@Chippy01

Hopefully that means that my local dealer will have one soon! I too have the Sol saloon, but do not think I would mind the Cross. 😀. Reminder to self - ring the dealer.

My dealer telephoned me yesterday saying they had the Cross in, so over I went this morning. As @Chippy01 says above, the three variants going be available in Ireland are the 'Luna', 'Sport' and 'Sol'. The car they had was a 2 litre 'Sport', so, after a good look round, off I went for a drive. The car seems to have a lot more 'go' in it than my saloon, but that was not unexpected. All black interior, but to be honest, I did not really notice it after a few minutes. Unlike Chippy, I can't say I noticed any undue road noise, (probably because I am used to the saloon 😀). The dealer only had a colour sheet of A4 paper, no booklets or anything yet, but he did say that he will work some figures out and get back to me, although it could be a week, as he has to get the exact cost price! One thing he did say, on more than one occasion, was that because of the way the second hand car market is going, he "wanted my car"! Overall, I quite liked the Cross, so, provided the figures are agreeable, I will be placing an order, although it will prbably take six months to get it 👍

• Like 3

dannyboy413

The salesman I was talking to was saying ''around March time'' when I asked about delivery time.

I also said that I would wait until Toyota Ireland uploads the full spec sheet and prices of the models before I make a decision.
To be honest, I thought it would be up by now after advertising that the Cross will be available in Ireland in November.

I did find this - New Toyota Corolla Cross For Sale Starting From €38,910 in Ireland (donedeal.ie)
Nowhere near a full spec sheet, just more of a teaser.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 8:56 PM, dannyboy413 said:

I will be placing an order, although it will probably take six months to get it 👍

Maybe even longer than that.
I was in my local shop today and was talking to the salesman.

He imparted to me the following:-
Apparently, the Cross's that were delivered to the respective dealers are only to be demos.
The order book at Toyota Ireland's H.O. will not be open until December or the new year, as Toyota in Japan, where the Cross is built, may possibly switch production to the 1.8 engine rather than the 2.0., although the decision on that hasn't been finalized.
Once some orders are in, production will start in March, for delivery somewhere around May/June time. 
He did also indicate that there may be a limited supply of x amount per dealer, but that cannot be confirmed as yet.
He said he isn't getting much feedback from Toyota Ireland, which doesn't help him with possible customers.  

He said that if I placed an order with him today, it will go into his system and sit there until Toyota Ireland H.O. opens their order book to pull it in, and even then he reckons that you may not even get what you ordered, (colour, spec, etc) due to the possibility of limited supply.
Seems to be a huge screw-up happening somewhere.

on a little sidenote, I did have a spin out in a BZ4X while I was there.
Nicely screwed together, very comfy with all the bells and whistles. Nice layout to it too.
The range however decreases dramatically with each item turned on. I went out for about 10kms, and the range dropped from 316kms (when I started out) to 233kms (when I got back), just because I put the AC on Auto halfway through the wee drive.
If I had put on the heated seats and the heated steering wheel, along with the radio, I may well have been pushing it back ..... lol.

I think I'll stick to the full hybrid system for now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Chippy01

It looks like the dealers in Ireland got their information today. My dealer rang me at lunchtime and told me that he could not yet give me any figures and probably might not be able to do so until January, as he was still not sure of prices. He also said that it may be June for delivery and he was not sure yet whether the 1.8 or both engine sizes would be available. So basically, he was confirming what you have been told. It is not a problem as I am extremely happy with the saloon - but I am not getting any younger! 😀

• Thanks 1

@Chippy01

53 minutes ago, Chippy01 said:

Toyota Ireland has uploaded the model specs for the Cross -

Thanks for that Phil. All I want now is some figures from the dealer.

Is this model coming to uk? Here the crash test with promising results. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Toyota is still yet to decide on if the Corolla Cross will come to the UK and there's no word yet on pricing (30/10/22)

Source Toyota Corolla Cross SUV could arrive in the UK in 2023 | Auto Express

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

@Chippy01

Hope you're not looking for the 4wd, auto-park and 360 degree camera system; 'cos those items aren't specified even on the Sol.

I noticed that Phil. What I also noticed was that it shows the Cross as having Dunlop tyres, not Falkans! 😀

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

I noticed that Phil. What I also noticed was that it shows the Cross as having Dunlop tyres, not Falkans! 😀

As the Corolla Cross for the European market is currently built in Japan, the Dunlop tyres will be manufactured by Sumitomo (who own the Dunlop brand for Asia) rather than Goodyear (who own the Dunlop brand for Europe).

Sumitomo also own the Falken brand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Sumitomo also own the Falken brand.

There's always someone putting a fly in the ointmen! 😁

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 10:19 PM, TonyHSD said:

According to my dealer, they have been told that the Cross will not be coming to UK, certainly not soon if at all. 

However by I think he said 2030 they should have 10 EV. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cyker said:

10 EVs but all :censored: SUVs! :crybaby: 

I still have not got used to how short mine is.  With the E220 I could, and had to, drive right up to a wall etc.  With my Cross I end up with a yard or more in front and the back hanging out.  I really need a front cam rather than just rely on proximity sensors.  The latter don't work in a car park. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

With my Cross ...

Now that you have had your Cross for a while, was wondering what you find the pros and cons from owning the Corolla?

• Like 3

On 12/8/2022 at 11:48 AM, 50p said:

Now that you have had your Cross for a while, was wondering what you find the pros and cons from owning the Corolla?

Sorry, I should have made it clear I have a Yaris Cross. 

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Sorry, I should have made it clear I have a Yaris Cross. 

Yes, that's what I'm asking about!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 8:55 PM, dannyboy413 said:

@Chippy01

Got another call from my local dealer today. The 1.8 versions are about €2,000 cheaper than the 2.0 version (Indicative pricing, is what he said)

Apparently the spec/trim levels will remain the same as the 2.0, except the Sport will not have the grey interior option on the 1.8's - black only on all versions.

So, after much to-ing and fro-ing, I put a provisional order in for a 1.8 Sol, in Tokyo red. (Same red as the current Rav4)
I was also told it could be May/June for delivery.

• Like 4

Local dealer today said that they think the Corolla Cross might appear in 2024 in the UK.

• Like 1