Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rubber Exhaust Mounts - Should They Be Replaced ?

venomx

So there was an annoying loud rattle when in reverse or low revs. Took it to the garage and they said the exhaust mounts needed lubrication, so I did so with a silicone lubricant which has now fixed the rattle completely.

I took some photos of the two mounts and want to know whether they need replacing or not ? As one looks kinda squashed..

Thanks 

remm.jpg

remmc.jpg

Mounts like that are generally easy to replace and very cheap, I've had to do it before when one failed outside a Halfords and my exhaust was dragging along the ground (very lucky on my part).

Yours don't look obviously perished, but silicone spray generally is a temporary remedy rather than fixing it permanently.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, preperationlaunch said:

Mounts like that are generally easy to replace and very cheap, I've had to do it before when one failed outside a Halfords and my exhaust was dragging along the ground (very lucky on my part).

Yours don't look obviously perished, but silicone spray generally is a temporary remedy rather than fixing it permanently.

Thanks!

I've checked a few vids on YouTube on how to replace them and I'd rather get a mechanic to do it as it involves jacking up the exhaust so it doesn't fall down which I don't feel comfy with.

Not sure why one looks squashed as I would have thought they would stretch if anything.

1 minute ago, venomx said:

Thanks!

I've checked a few vids on YouTube on how to replace them and I'd rather get a mechanic to do it as it involves jacking up the exhaust so it doesn't fall down which I don't feel comfy with.

Not sure why one looks squashed as I would have thought they would stretch if anything.

You can, if you're feeling dexterous, do it without even using a jack if you can lay under the car. I've done it before just propping the exhaust up with a spare limb or shoulder. The other mounts will do most of the work in keeping it roughly where it should be, you just need to take the weight that mount is taking.

30 minutes ago, preperationlaunch said:

You can, if you're feeling dexterous, do it without even using a jack if you can lay under the car. I've done it before just propping the exhaust up with a spare limb or shoulder. The other mounts will do most of the work in keeping it roughly where it should be, you just need to take the weight that mount is taking.

Are they both likely the same size ? As they both have different numbers on them. One begins with TRP15 and the other TRP31

Try using old brake fluid as a lubricant to help them on and off.

Any lube will help take them off, it's not heavy you just need to support it

1st pic the rubber looks stretched, 2nd looks a bit squished

The rubbers are 3 quid each or so

The rear should be both the same iirc, and there are 3 in the front/mid pipe (same as the rears as well)

• Like 1

As Flash said any lubricant will do, if in a pinch Fairy liquid even butter or margarine will do. Same when renewing them, try not to use anything of a corrosive nature.

How many rubber exhaust mounts are on the Yaris MK2 ? I can only see two.

49 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It is yes but I don't think it's a stock exhaust.

I'll have another check when I get a chance