Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Jump starting an old Yaris.

Rhymes with Paris

Not the car's fault , I have been laid up for a few days unable to start the car as I would normally do every day in cold weather to keep going properly.

But what did impress me was the instant start on connecting my kind friends van to my stranded car.

To compound the problem , I am also short of petrol , so could not drive more than 30 mins to top up the Battery tonight.

I do have a smart charger but not able to run a cable to the drive at the moment,so hoping tomorrow it will have enough in it to start and fill with petrol and drive for an hour or so to give Battery enough to recover.

I depend on this 18 year old car and reckon it will come through fine. 

Can you not take the Battery out and take it to the charger. A 10 mm spanner is all you need 

21 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Can you not take the battery out and take it to the charger. A 10 mm spanner is all you need 

Thank you Bernard , I have the spanner and the charger , just not the physical capacity at the moment to lift a car Battery to the charger,nor the ability to thread the cable through my window to my car .

Hence my make do and mend approach to an otherwise simple problem.

The good news is the Battery retained enough charge to start the car today, and I could drive and fill with a tank of v power,went a long way round to put charge in as much as possible.

With a bit of luck this will not have destroyed the plates and running again tomorrow will restore to full charge.

It would not upset me to buy a new Battery if needed as all this little car has needed is a couple of services and auxiliary belts in the two years I have owned it.

But I think the battery may be ok ,it was a year old when I bought the car so around 3 years now ,if the time comes I will get a yuasa as have have had very good experience of them on bikes.

Thanks for all the kindness on here, 🚗

They are indeed terrific little cars. And +1 for Yuasa.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Thank you Bernard , I have the spanner and the charger , just not the physical capacity at the moment to lift a car battery to the charger,nor the ability to thread the cable through my window to my car .

Hence my make do and mend approach to an otherwise simple problem.

The good news is the battery retained enough charge to start the car today, and I could drive and fill with a tank of v power,went a long way round to put charge in as much as possible.

With a bit of luck this will not have destroyed the plates and running again tomorrow will restore to full charge.

It would not upset me to buy a new battery if needed as all this little car has needed is a couple of services and auxiliary belts in the two years I have owned it.

But I think the battery may be ok ,it was a year old when I bought the car so around 3 years now ,if the time comes I will get a yuasa as have have had very good experience of them on bikes.

Thanks for all the kindness on here, 🚗

If it retained enough charge to start the car in the morning then your Battery is ok. However if you can put it on the trickle charger overnight, that will bring it up to fully charged.

On 12/22/2021 at 10:50 PM, corradovr6 said:

You can get a battery conditioner which pulse charges the battery and can help with desulphation. Cheaper than buying a new battery

Thank you corrado, I do have a pulse charger , it's just that it is not possible for me to do things in a normal way just now , not long out of hospital.

So it's make do and mend , I can drive still but not today ,so fingers crossed it holds until tomorrow.

Happy Christmas and thank you for the kind words.

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well but I think you have to be realistic about the Battery and I would have expected it to be fine for far far longer 'than a few days' that is mentioned in post #1

Provided you have nothing extra (non standard) added to the electrical system that could draw power I would consider the possibility the Battery is not at its best and could let you down again. It should be able to stand for a few weeks if fully charged and in fair to good condition.

Is there no one nearby who can help you with this? I would but you're the wrong end of the country to me.

Hope you recover soon Paul, so if you’re still able to drive the car take it for a 30 minute drive in daylight don’t use the radio or the blower fan or any other ancillaries and it will be fine.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the kind replies.

I did not mean to drip feed information about my illness , the fact is I have severe COPD , which is a combination of chronic bronchitis and emphysema and in the winter/spring results in flare ups which usually put me in a&e .

Hence I cannot do things in a normal way.

It is very comforting however to think that the people on here would help me practically if they were close enough to do so.

I have driven the Yaris today for an hour or so ,it started first touch and ran well.

I reckon the Battery is ok , and will put a meter on it soon as I can to check voltage at rest and charging voltage.

If I remember right this will be around 12.5 volts resting and 13.5/14.5 volts charging if the Battery is sound.

The car is completely standard with no extra drain on the Battery and I do run it where possible in daylight with no unessential drain switched on.

Dark days just now , but spring is round the corner and I will be doing as many miles as I can in this great little car.

😁

2 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Thank you so much for the kind replies.

I did not mean to drip feed information about my illness , the fact is I have severe COPD , which is a combination of chronic bronchitis and emphysema and in the winter/spring results in flare ups which usually put me in a&e .

Hence I cannot do things in a normal way.

It is very comforting however to think that the people on here would help me practically if they were close enough to do so.

I have driven the Yaris today for an hour or so ,it started first touch and ran well.

I reckon the battery is ok , and will put a meter on it soon as I can to check voltage at rest and charging voltage.

If I remember right this will be around 12.5 volts resting and 13.5/14.5 volts charging if the battery is sound.

The car is completely standard with no extra drain on the battery and I do run it where possible in daylight with no unessential drain switched on.

Dark days just now , but spring is round the corner and I will be doing as many miles as I can in this great little car.

😁

Yes driving for the hour is more than sufficient to restore the Battery. We look ahead to better weather longer days and more importantly better health to you.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links