Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PHEV OTA update

Nick72

Each

Just pulled up at home when I gets a message on the infotainment screen. New software update, do you want to update. Naturally i click yes. I assume that the car has connected to home wifi set up when i first got the car.

But as the update said it was 200 or so MB i am now sitting in the car wondering how far it is progressing in the download and update! Doesn't seem to be any indication anywhere. Do i just switch off the car and hope for the best?

Any thoughts?

No don’t switch off takes a while the update via the computer takes a lot longer you may loose the speed camera warnings doing it ota you have to download the full update to get them back 2021V2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

Each

Just pulled up at home when I gets a message on the infotainment screen. New software update, do you want to update. Naturally i click yes. I assume that the car has connected to home wifi set up when i first got the car.

But as the update said it was 200 or so MB i am now sitting in the car wondering how far it is progressing in the download and update! Doesn't seem to be any indication anywhere. Do i just switch off the car and hope for the best?

Any thoughts?

I think if you give up on it it will remember where you left off, however, I don’t want to be responsible for bricking your Head Unit. 

• Like 1

... though if you stopped it before the download is complete the worst that could happen would be that you'd need to repeat the download.

(Though I suspect that over the past hour it has either completed or our input has become otherwise redundant! 🙂 )

• Like 1

Thanks each. 

No indication, left for 20 minutes, switched off in the end. Had a look at the software update part of the menu and it said no updates or indicated as such. Not sure what's going on but suspect this might be better via USB download, or, I just leave it since I'm not sure what is being updated, why, and what benefits it has for me.

4 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

Thanks each. 

No indication, left for 20 minutes, switched off in the end. Had a look at the software update part of the menu and it said no updates or indicated as such. Not sure what's going on but suspect this might be better via USB download, or, I just leave it since I'm not sure what is being updated, why, and what benefits it has for me.

I’ve done mine but as a USB.

• Like 1

When I tried it at home I lost my camera warning 😡😡

easier to let the dealer do it and no charge.

Terry

• Like 1

I was going to post separately about the speed camera warnings. I did the OTA update and sometimes I do have camera warnings and sometimes I don't. 

I've think I've worked out that I still get warnings when connected to the internet via bluetooth tethering but not if I'm not connected. It's more an issue with the phone that insists on automatically turning off bluetooth tethering in the settings. I know it defaults to off after every reboot and I can live with that but I'm sure there must be a timeout too because it sometimes turns off without a reboot. Anyone also had this and got a workaround other than using the WiFi hotspot that drains Battery quicker? I used to have a TomTom several years ago and bluetooth tethering worked faultlessly with that so I'm assume it's a newish Android thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nlee said:

I was going to post separately about the speed camera warnings. I did the OTA update and sometimes I do have camera warnings and sometimes I don't. 

I've think I've worked out that I still get warnings when connected to the internet via Bluetooth tethering but not if I'm not connected. It's more an issue with the phone that insists on automatically turning off Bluetooth tethering in the settings. I know it defaults to off after every reboot and I can live with that but I'm sure there must be a timeout too because it sometimes turns off without a reboot. Anyone also had this and got a workaround other than using the WiFi hotspot that drains battery quicker? I used to have a TomTom several years ago and Bluetooth tethering worked faultlessly with that so I'm assume it's a newish Android thing.

I've gone back to Waze. It just works.

3 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

I've gone back to Waze. It just works.

I'm just trying the TomTom Go app on a 30 day free trial. It seems pretty good, although it's more like a real TomTom on the phone screen, it's a bit stripped back on Android Auto (something to do with Google requirements not to have too much distracting info).  I think it's about £13 per year for a subscription after the free trial. I've also downloaded TomTom Amigo, which I'm going to try on a longer journey tomorrow. That doesn't have offline maps but it's free, no adds and has all the community reporting like Waze.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nlee said:

I'm just trying the TomTom Go app on a 30 day free trial. It seems pretty good, although it's more like a real TomTom on the phone screen, it's a bit stripped back on Android Auto (something to do with Google requirements not to have too much distracting info).  I think it's about £13 per year for a subscription after the free trial. I've also downloaded TomTom Amigo, which I'm going to try on a longer journey tomorrow. That doesn't have offline maps but it's free, no adds and has all the community reporting like Waze.

It will be interesting to hear how you get on, I was always happy with TomTom routing on a standalone unit, better than Google or the built in satnav. I was in Cornwall when a road was closed, both of those systems directed me back to the closed road and I couldn't immediately see how to tell them that the road was blocked, something which was a doddle on a TomTom. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ColinB said:

It will be interesting to hear how you get on, I was always happy with TomTom routing on a standalone unit, better than Google or the built in satnav. I was in Cornwall when a road was closed, both of those systems directed me back to the closed road and I couldn't immediately see how to tell them that the road was blocked, something which was a doddle on a TomTom. 

Oh yeh I had that one a couple of years ago with Google maps. In the end I just had to drive and drive in the general compass direction until Google then decided ot would tale me on a route that didnt have the major road closure in the way (which had been closed for several weeks apparently).

On 12/23/2021 at 2:12 PM, nlee said:

I've think I've worked out that I still get warnings when connected to the internet via Bluetooth tethering but not if I'm not connected. It's more an issue with the phone that insists on automatically turning off Bluetooth tethering in the settings. I know it defaults to off after every reboot and I can live with that but I'm sure there must be a timeout too because it sometimes turns off without a reboot. Anyone also had this and got a workaround other than using the WiFi hotspot that drains battery quicker? I used to have a TomTom several years ago and Bluetooth tethering worked faultlessly with that so I'm assume it's a newish Android thing.

I've found that if I connect up Apple Carplay so I can listen to music via spotify or choose to use Google Maps or Waze etc, that when I disconnect this and go back to just using the Toyota headset, speed camera warnings disappear. After some experimentation, I've established that the act of using Carplay turns off the headset tethering to my iPhone so the toyota coyote app that provides the speed camera locations needs internet via bluetooth also doesn't work. Using the settings to reconnect the car to my phone and speed camera warnings are back - until next time I use Carplay and I have to do this again. Same thing if I use the MyToyota app and same solution.

• Thanks 2

On 12/27/2021 at 12:23 PM, Other Homer said:

I've found that if I connect up Apple Carplay so I can listen to music via spotify or choose to use Google Maps or Waze etc, that when I disconnect this and go back to just using the Toyota headset, speed camera warnings disappear. After some experimentation, I've established that the act of using Carplay turns off the headset tethering to my iPhone so the toyota coyote app that provides the speed camera locations needs internet via bluetooth also doesn't work. Using the settings to reconnect the car to my phone and speed camera warnings are back - until next time I use Carplay and I have to do this again. Same thing if I use the MyToyota app and same solution.

Sorry if this brings us off topic but waiting for a phev to be built and curious if you keep having to activate the personal hotspot setting on an iPhone everytime you get into the car for the headunit to have an internet connection or does it connect up everytime you get in the car (when not using carplay)

Many thanks

17 hours ago, jamiem1987 said:

Sorry if this brings us off topic but waiting for a phev to be built and curious if you keep having to activate the personal hotspot setting on an iphone everytime you get into the car for the headunit to have an internet connection or does it connect up everytime you get in the car (when not using carplay)

Many thanks

Assuming that you are referring to the Toyota Online Service option (as opposed to Android Auto or Apple Car Play) then the head unit connects to the internet via Wi-Fi. You need to set-up the SSID of and supply the password to a Wi-Fi service to get connected in the first place and the car will subsequently reconnect to that service automatically whenever it becomes available (as long as you allow the head unit to remember the Wi-Fi password).

I use my home Wi-Fi - the car connects automatically whenever the car is switched on at home. It has no internet connection when I am out on the road and I am fine with that.

If you choose to use your smart phone as a hotspot, you will need to set-up / enable that hotspot whenever you want the car to be able to connect to the internet. The car won't know or care how the internet connection is provided just whether or not that connection is there ...

Having just driven 2000km from home in France to Herts and back I can give the Satnav a high rating. Got lost a few times but "she" performed perfectly. Just wish Toyota would let us non UK buyers have an mph option instead of kmh. Got tired of looking at red speed dot as my kmh speed always exceeds the  permitted mph!

• Like 1

Yep spot on - I'm using my phone hotspot to provide internet link away from outside my house. Still disconnects from Toyota Online when I use Carplay as I said above for some reason - but easy to reconnect again so now I know isn't a big deal.

3 hours ago, philip42h said:

Assuming that you are referring to the Toyota Online Service option (as opposed to Android Auto or Apple Car Play) then the head unit connects to the internet via Wi-Fi. You need to set-up the SSID of and supply the password to a Wi-Fi service to get connected in the first place and the car will subsequently reconnect to that service automatically whenever it becomes available (as long as you allow the head unit to remember the Wi-Fi password).

I use my home Wi-Fi - the car connects automatically whenever the car is switched on at home. It has no internet connection when I am out on the road and I am fine with that.

If you choose to use your smart phone as a hotspot, you will need to set-up / enable that hotspot whenever you want the car to be able to connect to the internet. The car won't know or care how the internet connection is provided just whether or not that connection is there ...