Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just bought an Auris!

SB1500

2 hours ago, SB1500 said:

but I know the normal ones like the Captur and Mokka are very comfortable to some, but others seem to get sea sick in em!

You can add the Yaris Cross to that list. Exactly what I feared.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SB1500 said:

The price they recommended was £9,056 from a franchised dealer. I was paying £11,000 for it!  That opened my eyes a bit. 

- I did a background check on the very car. It was for sale on 02/10/2021 for £8,800 (assumably in mainland UK) and again, me paying £11,000 seemed extortionate.

Problem with used car prices currently is that, with the chip shortage, etc affecting new car supply, used prices have become  inflated due to demand from some new car buyers switching to young used cars. This has also affected the national inflation rate and is one reason why inflation has increased in recent months.

This is one reason that you cannot compare used car prices of today with even a couple of months ago. There are posts on here where people ordering new cars have been offered part exchange prices near to or more than the price they paid new.

I popped into our Hyundai dealer just before Christmas, and they had an i20N (1.6 turbo, 204bhp) in the showroom that the first owner paid £26,800 for last year when new, and it was for sale used for £28,000 !!

• Like 4

Yeah, used car prices are extremely high at the moment, 40-60% over inflated. There are Toyota hybrids like Corolla and rav4 £3k more expensive used vs new one like for like. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Problem with used car prices currently is that, with the chip shortage, etc affecting new car supply, used prices have become  inflated due to demand from some new car buyers switching to young used cars. This has also affected the national inflation rate and is one reason why inflation has increased in recent months.

This is one reason that you cannot compare used car prices of today with even a couple of months ago. There are posts on here where people ordering new cars have been offered part exchange prices near to or more than the price they paid new.

I popped into our Hyundai dealer just before Christmas, and they had an i20N (1.6 turbo, 204bhp) in the showroom that the first owner paid £26,800 for last year when new, and it was for sale used for £28,000 !!

That's true. I got more than I should have from WeBuyAnyCar for my DS3 - who still paid me less than I'd have got private around now - had I not had to get the finance cleared for getting the loan for the next car.  BUT.. in saying that, there's little benefit to me because, no doubt, I'm overpaying a bit for this car. Can't win!

A friend of mine who had a pretty high spec i40 since 2016 traded it in last February for a 2019 i30N Fastback with 600 miles on it. Soon after he got it he realised the £22,600 he paid, he could get more selling it straight on! He loves the car too much though to actually do that. And sure enough, any competitor like the Focus RS or Civic Type-R would cost more anyway (and none of us are quite dull enough to consider the Golf GTI as a choice 😛..though in my case I coulnd't afford one anyway lol). I was just joking with him that now I'll be the one that owns the big 'boat' car haha

What do you guys reckon, did I get a good enough deal on the Avensis? £12,000, August 2018, 1 previous owner, 1.6 D4D, 54,000 miles, Business Edition trim.  Good bodywork two minor 'look at the correct angle' circular subtle dents on the passenger side.

11 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

I got more than I should have from WeBuyAnyCar for my DS3 - who still paid me less than I'd have got private around now - had I not had to get the finance cleared for getting the loan for the next car.  BUT.. in saying that, there's little benefit to me because, no doubt, I'm overpaying a bit for this car. Can't win!

You could have ordered a new car, some of which are being sold with discounts, making them cheaper than a used car, but you've got to wait. So, you are probably right, you can't win.

12 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

What do you guys reckon, did I get a good enough deal on the Avensis? £12,000, August 2018, 1 previous owner, 1.6 D4D, 54,000 miles, Business Edition trim.  Good bodywork two minor 'look at the correct angle' circular subtle dents on the passenger side.

If you plan to keep it a long time, why not. Ultimately, you'll only be sure once you've owned it for a while. Way back in the day, I bought a Passat, because it was low miles , etc and I wanted a red car. How long did I keep that car ? 3 weeks! I couldn't stand the red colour. (Truth is, the problem was me, not the car). Things you like, you forget the price, things you don't ....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SB1500 said:

My assumption was because of the Camry... but a quick check and it's nowhere to be found on the UK website. I knew it was a US (not in the UK, anyway) model but I'm sure it appeared on the UK site for a while in recent years?! 

You didn’t imagine it - the Camry was sold in the UK but taken off the market back in November.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

You could have ordered a new car, some of which are being sold with discounts, making them cheaper than a used car, but you've got to wait. So, you are probably right, you can't win.

If you plan to keep it a long time, why not. Ultimately, you'll only be sure once you've owned it for a while. Way back in the day, I bought a Passat, because it was low miles , etc and I wanted a red car. How long did I keep that car ? 3 weeks! I couldn't stand the red colour. (Truth is, the problem was me, not the car). Things you like, you forget the price, things you don't ....

That's true. With my first 05 Panda I got it at 10, kept it until it seemingly wouldn't go any further. I intended to do the same with its successor, a 17 Panda. I liked the car, but my mileage was drastically bigger since leaving uni (up to 20,000 in a year) so it became not very comfortable. But also, I admit, I felt like much as I loved the car it wasn't doing me favours image wise. Not that anyone i knew was harshly judgemental, but I felt myself having to explain it.

That's why I got the DS3 - a little more blend in / less stand out. Plus, at the time, I thought would be much more comfortable - I was wrong big time on that. It had superior bucket seats and was a far better driving car (cornering, road holding, refinement at speed) compared to the Panda, but the big alloys and low profile tyres and sport suspension made it rough enough. I had the Panda for a day when it needed parking sensors from the garage that sold it and it was noticeably smoother over speed bumps on my street... from that point on I was overly aware the DS3 wasn't comfortable. In the Citroen community, it is regarded as the least comfortable modern Citroen they made... which is the defendable point of Citroen - comfort! lol   I learnt that a small / short wheelbase car won't compare to anything bigger, especially like with the better rear suspension on the C segment and above cars. That's why my searh now is Auris or above in size.  The CLA for 8 weeks made this comfort factor particularly noticeable when I got the DS3 back, suddenly even open good condition 60mph roads felt choppy and bouncy.

I've never hated the cars I've bought though. I just didn't realise things like the comfort factor and for a long time would have believe I'd drive a small car forever. But you don't know what you're missing until you live with something better.

I don't have any immediate plans either, but I'm sure in the next 10 years of life I might end up having a family and I'd hate to have to switch cars for that reason having invested in lots of maintenance and parts over the years. I feel like with an Auris or Avensis, I'm ready for that. If I get a new job and have to commute to Belfast everyday early in the morning, I'm ready for that now.  It's not that the small cars couldn't do the job, but it wouldn't have paid off with comfort. 

I had a Mondeo back in March as a courtesy car (another parking sensor went in the DS3) and initially I was laughing with my friends at how dated it looked inside and out (a 2012 model). A few days in, and it was noticeable how much more refreshed I felt everywhere I drove!  The seats and cushiony drive compared to the DS3 was phenomenal. I never felt that again until I had the CLA, but I would nearly wager that the Mondeo I had was a tad more comfortable even!  I really hope the Avensis has that 'big boat' like feel as I'd call it lol

Tl;dr:  If it's comfortable, practical, reliable then I think I'll be happy with it for a long time 🙂 ...but who knows! I said that about the last cars lol

Just now, mcntosh said:

You didn’t imagine it - the Camry was sold in the UK but taken off the market back in November.

That's insane! I wonder why they brought it here and assumably had to get it approved for our market to pull it so fast.  Must be the shrinking demand for large saloons 😞 

Just found out this morning that the Avensis ended production in August 2018, the one I'm buying is August 2018 so hopefully that'll make it one of the least problematic / most well ironed out of the lot!

5 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

That's insane! I wonder why they brought it here and assumably had to get it approved for our market to pull it so fast.  Must be the shrinking demand for large saloons 😞 

It’s a strange one - presumably Toyota thought there was some demand from Avensis fans or they could capture some German Badge owners.

Hope the Avensis works out for you. Nice to see someone bucking the trend towards SUVs.

• Like 2

The Camry was probably the best Toyota you can buy officially from any dealer for that period, unfortunately too big and too bland for the local market. I sat once in one after I did try all current models and immediately felt home after tried the Camry, then came out look at it and said, hm a bit too large for uk roads, perhaps Corolla saloon would suit me better, thankfully didn’t need car replacement at the time. Camry is a league ahead of avensis by all means where avensis is simply Auris/Corolla saloon. 

• Like 1

Yes Camry is the best selling midsize car in the USA for 20 years or more. It is made for large country with wide road and parking lot. It is very conservative and good value, about 3k more than corolla hybrid there. I love camry and Sienna but too big in European roads.  The V6 3.5 L is very smooth and has been used since 2005. Really good engine. It's only found in Lexus RX or higher in Europe. I believe Camry is being discontinued 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My car is booked in this morning for the EGR Cooler recall. Typical, the BMW engine is already proving to be trouble... though not the most difficult flaw to fix properly.

I asked them to look into the driver mirror not electrically folding and the drivers door not automatically unlocking when the car stops without pressing the manual swivel button beside the handle.

Funnily, when driving at 70 or so, the driver wing mirror WILL fold as expected.

And when pushing the two way lock/unlock button, the drivers door will unlock...

So it's hardly a wiring issue / lack of power going to both parts.

My grandfather who is known to ramble on a bit and come out with some mad stuff was over last night and we were talking about the Avensis. I was showing him that steering wheel restoration kit and then the topic came up of how he reckons my 50,000 mile Avensis could be a 150,000 mile Avensis that's been clocked.  I've never really thought of this before, but how could I tell?   The wheel is fairly black and shiny (hilariously shiny) - but NO tears or wore out material other than the smoothness like some worn steering wheel leather typically is.

I know the car was owned by an independent leasing company (1 owner legally) and that it had its first service with Toyota, but nothing since. I have no record of the second service. But a record of the third service at some garage in Dorset. Seems to me they bought the car, used it for 3 years to lease to people, and moved it on. I'd imagine they serviced it... but part of me is concerned that maybe they didn't if their practice is to shift the car on at 3 years regardless?  Any good way of telling?

Can Toyota dealerships plug the car in and see the 'real' mileage in the event a car has been clocked as far as the driver / owner without a car OBD reader or computer can tell, or does clocking make this appear lower mileage too?

On 1/4/2022 at 12:13 PM, mcntosh said:

Hope the Avensis works out for you. Nice to see someone bucking the trend towards SUVs.

Thanks! When I was a kid I always loved the Range Rover. But soon as I started driving in 2014/15 and having to pay for petrol in my mums 1.0 Corsa and getting insurance in my own name... I quickly lost interest of ever dedicating such money toward a car, regardless of how nice!  Having driven that CLA220d 2021 plate for two month, and enjoyed how 'impressive and nice' it was top to bottom, I stand by that frankly. (It's fine when it's being paid for!) lol

I don't get the crossover trend. A lot of them, not being actual 4x4s, seem to have a choppy ride / lean a bit. The tyres and brakes are probably a mark above the price of a typical car too without getting the utility of a proper 4x4. I can't see it being for me, but I can see why the being high up, good visibility, feeling of being in something 'stronger' all sells to the masses. I wonder if it is a trend that will last, judging by Toyota's Yaris..Corolla.. Cross models, it might be a trend for a while.

For me, I think if I get a good set of 4x Michellin CrossClimate 2's or Plus's on the Avensis come next winter, it'll be as good as anything on the road when the snow or ice comes (if it comes - which it hasn't at all this time around) here in N. Ireland. At least for the extent that I'll need to drive it (which 90% of the time will just be 'want' to drive it).  I just hope they don't make it drink much more fuel than it already does. 

If it wasn't for their deadliness in the ice / cold, I'd love to slap some Pilot Sport 4's on the Avensis and see how it drives. The DS3 had them and they were phenomenal. My first impression of the Avensis was that it wouldn't ever be able to corner well, being so big and more comfort orientated. I'm wrong, though there's fair condition el-cheapo tyres on it, the thing can corner a lot better than I thought.  The itch only grows stronger to see what those Pilot Sports' would feel like on the Avensis... but I need to buy with my brain! lol

• Like 1

Yes, you can ask Toyota to do this for you and check the real mileage of the car, however if the car was clocked properly it might not show any mileage discrepancy. Since late 2017 most cars has connected services and are ultra difficult to clock them but earlier MY’s can. Usually signs of a high miles cars are stone chips on the bonnet, bumpers, roof and doors, pretty much all around., need to look for chips or bodywork repair, touch ups or re spray. Other signs like drivers seat worn more than other seats, gear lever, steering wheel, however some people are more carful and even after many miles their cars interior can look better than low mileage examples. , exterior though can’t be saved, I am a motorway high mileage driver and my car look like been shot at it with a shotgun, all over, some deep stone chips , paint damage, even holes , and paint peeling away as recently happened. Windscreen also suffer from all above , the problem is that you can always see the things prior to purchase. 50k miles from a popular car within taxi trade and management fleet, rental business etc is very low to begin with but who knows., it might be , there are always an examples from both low and high mileage sides. 👍

1 hour ago, SB1500 said:

I don't get the crossover trend. A lot of them, not being actual 4x4s, seem to have a choppy ride / lean a bit. The tyres and brakes are probably a mark above the price of a typical car too without getting the utility of a proper 4x4. I can't see it being for me, but I can see why the being high up, good visibility, feeling of being in something 'stronger' all sells to the masses. I wonder if it is a trend that will last, judging by Toyota's Yaris..Corolla.. Cross models, it might be a trend for a while.

Methinks you answer the question yourself. For whatever reason people do feel more secure having a higher view of the road, I remember from my hitchhiking days how I liked getting a ride in a truck. As you say, typically, tyres will be more expensive, I'm not so sure about brakes but it's very likely.

You'll find that many buyers of the Cross variant of the Yaris did so, because the weren't as agile and flexible as they once were. A friend has just bought a RAV4 for much the same reason, although he did get the AWD-i version and claims he will be taking "the road less travelled" and doing some camping. He has bought monospace, previously Espace, Zafira & 806 and is used to 4.5 metre or longer cars, so it was no shock to him going to the RAV4.

Although I was happy to buy a new car, I just couldn't bring myself to go above 30k€ for a car, and anything above 25k€ mad me wince, so putting 45k€ into a car just strikes me as crazy. That said, he did keep the Espace 13 years, and would have kept it longer if it wasn't for ULEZ restrictions.

• Like 1

Toyota just called me to say that the EGR Cooler recall is done and the car is ready. That's fast! I suppose they readily keep the parts in for recalls. But it's hard to beat the main dealer on the speed / professional quality given how they have a state of the art workshop and 'the best training' (questionable how far that goes in practice) and all that jazz.

I asked her about the driver door lock, they're going to put a new one on under warranty. The wing mirror, they reckon just needed reset by popping it closed and open (I've done that and I'm not sure it'll solve it). They're also going to replace the handbrake actuator as I noted it was really noisy compared to the CLA I had. Not bad for a car with no service history, let alone Toyota dealer service history... woooo!

I also told them to replace the brake fluid / engine coolant on it as well. These are things I could do at my uncles garage, but the brake bleeding is messy and the coolant drain can be a bit of a pain, but more so with that, I'd like to go with whatever fluid Toyota uses from Toyota. I know there's pink stuff and other generic stuff that can work with any system if it's flushed properly and all, but they can hopefully use whatever Toyota deems best. I know the DS3 needed some special blue PSA stuff that I couldn't find online whatsoever, though you could 'flush' and use any pink OAT stuff.  I think the coolant is due at 4 years anyway, and the brake fluid she said was every 2 years / 20,000 miles on this car and engine. So not such a bad idea. Probably £125 for that all in, if Toyota's website is to be believed.

It was nice that they sent a video through, the 'free health check'.

I haven't looked under the car properly yet, or taken off any covers and probably won't until the summer when I service it myself. But I'm sure that if there was any oil leaking or anything of concern, the dealer would have flagged it up to me and fixed it under warranty?  ...how does this work: so if it was me paying out of pocket, they'd 100% bring it up to charge me big money.  With warranty work.. are dealers reluctant to take it on, or happy given that they get a blank cheque from Toyota to cover the cost??   

My 2017 Panda bought from Motorpoint had a major oil leak in 2019 which they fixed under warranty, I'd have said that'd have been a big enough job to DIY (did it on an older 05 Panda by taking apart the bottom end to get to one of the big seals ... £40 for a rubber ring!!!) I'll never forget that lol  So it seems possible enough that it might have leaks, being a BMW product (the engine) it's probably some kind of feature..

• Like 1

For hybrid, Toyota use WS for ATF, Super longlife SLLC  coolant Pink, not red, engine oil 0W-20 API SN that is almost identical with Mobil 1.  Some after market, especially coated brake disc are better than OEM.  12V Battery Yuasa S34B20R 35Ah or you can snugly fit bigger one from Prius+ S46b24R 45Ah. 

Oil leaks is not a common problem.  Only minor sheepage on oil pressure sensor, very classic and wipe it once a year is enough in 2ZR engine.  Check the timing cover leak if it is still under waranty. It is expensive job. 

You should do annual maintenance in dealership first to activate Relax 10 y warranty. Clean the engine, so they will give you pass check and can claim any oil leaks 30 days later.

You need to maintain it in dealership every year 10k miles to keep the warranty. It does not matter who had the car before, it starts right after annual maintenance is done in dealership. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links