Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Soon To Be Toyota Owner

Jonathak56

Hi all,

We have ordered a Yaris Cross Premier Edition. Delivery is scheduled for May and the car will replace my wife’s Ecosport Titanium Auto. We’ve enjoyed the Ford but wanted the advanced tech available in the Toyota, especially radar cruise and automatic braking. I’m not a lover of CVT transmissions but it seems quite good on the Cross and certainly a lot better than the 12 plate Yaris we had years ago. I’m going to miss the heated windscreen on the Ford too but the Cross is a step up.

Anyway, hope to be an active member and look forward to seeing your comments.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Jonathan

• Like 1

Welcome!  What colour did you go for on the Premier Edition?  I've a relative debating ordering one currently

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SB1500 said:

Welcome!  What colour did you go for on the Premier Edition?  I've a relative debating ordering one currently

We’ve gone for Galactic Blue with City and Adventure pack add ons. I’d have liked a pan roof but it’s not available on the Premiere.

5 hours ago, Jonathak56 said:

We’ve gone for Galactic Blue with City and Adventure pack add ons. I’d have liked a pan roof but it’s not available on the Premiere.

That'll be nice.  I think my aunt/uncle whose looking to order one is going for the red, they were going for the Premier but they wanted the bumper lower spoilers that weren't available as an option, so they're going for the Dynamic instead and adding the panoramic roof and quite a few of the options.  Keen to hear how you find it anyway, relay it back to them!   sounds good.

I looked through all the specs and they seemed a bit strange. There’s not really a clear specification progression but then I’m old school. I come from an age of L, XL, GXL and Ghia. Apart from the pan roof the Pemiere had everything I wanted including leather. I’m looking forward to it.

Hello Jonathan - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

• Like 1

You'll love it - I have the normal Yaris Mk4 and it's great :biggrin: 

They fixed everything I hated about the power delivery and handling of the Mk3, and the car is much punchier and far more fun to drive!

But yeah I do miss the old system where the base specs were T2, T3, T4, T-Spirit, then you had special-case specs like T-Sport, Colour Collection etc..The current system is far less intuitive!

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 12:24 PM, Jonathak56 said:

Hi all,

We have ordered a Yaris Cross Premier Edition. Delivery is scheduled for May and the car will replace my wife’s Ecosport Titanium Auto. We’ve enjoyed the Ford but wanted the advanced tech available in the Toyota, especially radar cruise and automatic braking. I’m not a lover of CVT transmissions but it seems quite good on the Cross and certainly a lot better than the 12 plate Yaris we had years ago. 

Jonathan

You will find the transmission in the Yaris Cross, e-CVT, is likely to be different to other CVT you have driven, completely different. It’s a pleasure to drive.

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2021 at 1:24 PM, Jonathak56 said:

I’m not a lover of CVT transmissions but it seems quite good on the Cross

Like you, pretty old! However, Toyota’s so called e-cvt doesn’t work in the way the original DAF variomatic.

I lived in the USA for a while, and I insisted on driving manual (standard) transmission cars, I was 60+ before I owned my first automatic transmission car. Moving from that to Toyota’s e-cvt is a pure joy. The driving sensation is like driving an electric car, with the occasional intrusion of a bit, or a lot, of engine noise, depending on how you use the go pedal. I have now less than 200 km on the Yaris and I absolutely love the transmission.

Previously, for me, an Audi 8 speed auto off a 3 litre TDI had been king of the hill, in transmission smoothness.

Edited by Stopeter44
Changed 9 to 8
  • Like 2

Coincidentally I have an Audi A6 Avant 3.0BiTdi with the ZF 8 speed auto that I use mainly for long journeys and to tow a caravan. That auto box is used by numerous manufacturers and is a benchmark gearbox in my opinion. Buying a smaller car with auto is difficult without going for a CVT but as you say Stopeter, they have advanced a lot in recent years so I’m hoping for the best. Too late now anyway, deposit is paid and car on its way to being built.

The Yaris Cross won’t seem so tourquey but it will be smooth.

• Like 1

I can tell when my Corolla switches from EV and back. 

The Rev counter falls to zero and the fuel consumption drops to max. 

😁

• Like 1