Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Never try to stick a magnetic L plate on the back

Louie

Hi Folks

Today i became a clown why ? my daughter who has a provisional licence wanted a test drive in 

my Corolla Hybrid GR 2l so off she toddled to Halfords for some plates. We then drove to a quiet fairly traffic 

free location for her to try the car out. The fun began when we tried to attach the plates to the car, the 

front was ok but the plates just fell off the rear boot door. Eventually we slid them temporarily under

the rear wiper. I was not aware having had the car for nearly two years that the rear door is plastic of some kind.

Some one tell me i am wrong.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Louie said:

Hi Folks

Today i became a clown why ? my daughter who has a provisional licence wanted a test drive in 

my Corolla Hybrid GR 2l so off she toddled to Halfords for some plates. We then drove to a quiet fairly traffic 

free location for her to try the car out. The fun began when we tried to attach the plates to the car, the 

front was ok but the plates just fell off the rear boot door. Eventually we slid them temporarily under

the rear wiper. I was not aware having had the car for nearly two years that the rear door is plastic of some kind.

Some one tell me i am wrong.

Haha, yes indeed. It’s some sort of composite material and it was like a big news back in 2019 when the car was first introduced. Magnetic plates won’t work.

Skip to 3:15 for the hatch. 👌

• Like 1

Had a similar issue when working under the bonnet on my 308 T9 as the bonnet is aluminium so my magnetic torch had nothing to stick to.

More & more vehicle manufacturers are using lightweight non metallic materials like plastic or aluminium to make non structural body panels from, normally tailgate, bonnet & occasionally doors. 

• 4 weeks later...

volvo has done this since 2001 V70. composite/fibreglass, saves us the struggle of getting the boot eaten up by "brown chrome"
however on the TS boot atleast you can slightly see when closing it, that it got some flex to it, that a metal boot would not show

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys

My gaffer tape residue problem on rear hatchback door fixed. I managed to get “her indoors” to remove the blemish by just spraying it the Simoniz (see pics) gunge on and leaving it on for one minute and wiping the residue off gently.

Thanks for all the input. 

Enjoy your spring/summer. 

2DC845EC-3E88-4B04-8C69-8AB96044CCC9.jpeg

C4B4C165-6B51-4A67-A1A5-BC5093332E77.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2021 at 10:26 PM, TonyHSD said:

Haha, yes indeed. It’s some sort of composite material and it was like a big news back in 2019 when the car was first introduced. Magnetic plates won’t work.

Skip to 3:15 for the hatch. 👌

Hi, no doubt you will discover the bonnet is the same. My windscreen Cover i used in Winter on other cars wouldn't stick to bonnet.  That's when I found out.

4 minutes ago, Tyfan said:

Hi, no doubt you will discover the bonnet is the same. My windscreen Cover i used in Winter on other cars wouldn't stick to bonnet.  That's when I found out.

You are right , the bonnet is made from aluminium as per other members experience. 👍

• 2 months later...

What about the TS , can you stick magnetick signs to the doors and the boot ?

15 hours ago, DC_Ms said:

What about the TS , can you stick magnetick signs to the doors and the boot ?

You can’t, I had this issue when going on holiday and trying to put a magnetic UK sticker onto the boot… it fell off!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I even had the front blew away on 50mph road on my Yaris. Always taped with a cheap roll from Poundland for the back and then the front when that incident occurred. Taped on the back because of angle of curve so plates doesn't stick. 

I took plates off once session finished so no residue. 

• Like 2

I cut a piece of perpex which fits onto the number plate fastenings. No problems so far and it can be installed / removed easily.

IMG_20220813_134710a.jpg

• Like 3

Hmm, I wonder if you can extend it lower and turn it into some sort of rudimentary diffuser...? :naughty:  :laugh: 

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Hmm, I wonder if you can extend it lower and turn it into some sort of rudimentary diffuser...? :naughty:  :laugh: 

If it's any lower, due to the angle, it touches the rear spoiler 😉

Edited by 50p
punctuation
  • Haha 1

Yes some materials are not magnetic but you may just get away with using double sided tape.