Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GR Aygo Opinions?

NoBrakesWC

The standard Aygo X is in high teens so the  GR will be in the low to mid 20's, it seems Toyota are going for the premium market

Maybe Toyota could turbocharge the 1 litre 3 pot engine while keeping it reliable ( unlike other vehicle manufacturers small 3 cylinder turbocharged engines ) to give the Aygo X a little extra BHP. 

A GR Aygo X doesn't need loads of BHP to be fun.

I like the idea of the turbo 1.6 from the GR Yaris, maybe detuned a bit for series production (then we could tune it back to 257PS for some real fun!).

Toyota and Daihatsu already produce a turbocharged KR series engine - used in the Daihatsu Thor, Rocky, and Toyota Tank, Roomy and Raize. The 1KR-VET produces 98bhp. 

• Like 1

Aygo X GR, EV ? There are not many small EV's on the market apart from the smart, e-up! and Ami

Looks cool indeed, perhaps will not be coming with the same 257hp engine from Yaris. 🚙👌

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Aygo X GR, EV ?

Toyota have said that they won't be offering an electrified drivetrain for the Aygo X for a while in order to keep costs down and maintain a reasonable priced entry point to the Toyota range.

15 hours ago, flash22 said:

Aygo X GR, EV ?

I think there would need to be a market for a small EV as a second car for an Aygo X EV to make economic sense, and at the moment that market 'need' isn't there yet as EVs are being purchased primarily as a primary car (and a small but significant proportion are being sold after a few months and replaced by ICE cars due to the poor charging infrastructure in many non-urban areas of the UK).

7 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

... and a small but significant proportion are being sold after a few months and replaced by ICE cars due to the poor charging infrastructure in many non-urban areas of the UK.

Is that so ? We certainly didn't want to go EV for our primary, and only car, we live in a rural area. Although there are at least 4 charging bays in our village, and many people can charge at home. I mostly see the ZOE as the most common EV, and that just screams 2nd car to me. The Aygo XEV would certainly rival that and the Twingo Electric. I think the market is there.

That's what I see too - Most people with EV's have them as their second short-range runabout vehicle; I feel very few people buy one as their sole vehicle. There are some exceptions, mainly Tesla owners.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

due to the poor charging infrastructure in many non-urban areas of the UK).

17 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

We certainly didn't want to go EV for our primary, and only car, we live in a rural area. Although there are at least 4 charging bays in our village, and many people can charge at home.

I lived until recently in a small town in north Devon, there were no public charging points within 10 miles and in the town there were many properties where charging at home wasn't possible due to having no off road parking - so for those residents charging an EV would only be possible when making a trip to one of the larger towns.

IMHO the issue of charging an EV when there is no off road parking is one that is being ignored at present, but is a major drawback for anyone living in a property with no off road parking (e.g. rows of older terraced houses) - trailing charging cables across the pavement isn't going to be acceptable for Health & Safety reasons.

• Like 2

Yes, I fully understand the issues of older terraced houses, and flats without secure parking. I was just surprised that people bought an EV, without thinking everything through, and then selling to buy an ICE car.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

Yes, I fully understand the issues of older terraced houses, and flats without secure parking. I was just surprised that people bought an EV, without thinking everything through, and then selling to by an ICE car.

You must have heard the saying that the main thing about common sense is that it isn't common!

• Haha 2

Agreed; At the very least you need to have a driveway/garage or they need to put charge points in every parking bay in every supermarket car park.

As it is I'm out of the EV market for the forseeable future - Whatever I get has to be no bigger than the Mk4, which is already past the limit of being able to easily park in London streets, have at least a range of 300 motorway miles, and have significantly lower running costs. I can't think of a single EV that meets any of those requirements, nevermind all of them!

20 hours ago, Cyker said:

or they need to put charge points in every parking bay in every supermarket car park.

My local supermarkets are nowhere near that - the local Tesco has 4 charging points (the car park is huge) and the local M&S Food has 2.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's because they have to pay for them themselves and it's not a revenue generator, so not worth their while to dig up the whole car park - That's where the government should be encouraging them with financial incentives, not these silly little one here, one there piddly grants they give to the councils to install points.

The whole thing is just badly thought through, as usual, and instead we're getting these massive dedicated charging hubs where you'll essentially be trapped there with nothing to do waiting however long for the car to charge on land that could have been used for something more useful, e.g. shops, houses, schools, parking (Because you're not allowed to park at the charging hubs) etc.

It's just such a waste of land, and they keep trying to erode more of the green belt around London to do it instead of using existing parking locations, which would be far more sensible.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 6:21 PM, flash22 said:

The New Aygo isn't exactly cheap, £15K+

The current Aygo starts from £13,900 ......

Cheapest Dacia now £10,145, Kia Picanto £11,450, MG3 £12,495, Hyundai i10 £13,195, Suzuki Ignis £13,745, etc

More than you'd think, based on how many white Icon Mk4s with halogen lights I see driving around! :laugh: 

I never understood why people did that when they could wait a few years and get one at the same price second hand with more features but hey ho. (I planned to get the Mk4 second hand after 3 years at a lower cost than what I ended up doing, but needs must when the devil vomits into your kettle...!)

It will be in the 20's for sure. I recon there is a chance they will make one since there is a decent size GR range Toyota GR SPORT range | Toyota UK . I would love one but need to get in with my local dealer to get a slot if they come out. Maybe I should take my car for the window recall to talk to them and get my name in there book. Been in a GR Yaris as a passenger and it is a great car. Two issues of the GR Yaris 1. The artificial sound inside of the engine is dull and annoying and 2. from what owners have said to me you can't find the limit of the car and when you do it's too late.