Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No cabin heat in Prius PHV 2018. Force ICA to start?

HSDish

Heres been -10 C for two nights and -6 C for two days at my place in Sweden and our Prius PHV 2018 has been standing still for two days.

When I started the car today it was fully charged and when I drove away there wasnt any heat from the fan/ac . 

When I pushed the defrost fron button the ICA whent on and after a while the heat began to come. Maybe the car cant manage to deliver heat when running on pure EV, at that low degrees.

I drowe some days ago when it was -3 C outside temp and then the heat worked even on pure EV.

Is there any way to froce the ICE to start other than pushing the defrost button ?

Hi, 

that’s interesting. Perhaps the car heat pump can not provide enough heat when it’s so cold and or the car wanted to heat up the engine too in case you need to use it 

• Like 1

I think Tony's right - the heat pump doesn't warm the car as well as the ICE does anyway so it makes sense that below a certain external temp its warming capability would reach nothing.

Regarding forcing the ICE to start, just put it in HV mode instead of EV mode. As long as the heating isn't set to OFF, it will fire up the ICE to power the heater.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tanks to both Tony and Jay.

Luckily there usually isnt so many days/nigths thats below - 3 C at my place , in Sweden. The heatpump seems to work down to -3C

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our Prius PHV 2018 was parked outside this whole night and the temperauture was - 4C all night and this morning the car was able to warm cabin on just EV so... it works down to - 4C but not at - !0C. Wonder if it will manage to produce warmt at - 7C 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1