Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight bulb

Darragh Griffin

Hello, I'm trying to replace the driver's side headlight and I can't get it out. I'm trying to turn the clip a quarter turn anti clockwise but it's not turning. I'll attach a photo which shows the white piece I'm trying to turn anti clockwise.  What am I doing wrong? Thanks IMG_20211226_124835.thumb.jpg.a9d4257fadb375af8c5ce1c067349257.jpg

I don't own a Prius, but whilst you wait for owner's comments (so take this with a pinch of salt), I'd say the white plastic bit is connected to the back of the bulb itself, and pulls off in the direction of the red arrow.  

The blue arrow is on a lug that is there to allow you to twist the (circular?) piece around and then off/out.

IMG_20211226_124835.jpg.5311cd87d732eab054096eb01a259158.thumb.jpg.74eb42997bc338664c0da97d9a972b42.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gerg said:

I don't own a Prius, but whilst you wait for owner's comments (so take this with a pinch of salt), I'd say the white plastic bit is connected to the back of the bulb itself, and pulls off in the direction of the red arrow.  

The blue arrow is on a lug that is there to allow you to twist the (circular?) piece around and then off/out.

IMG_20211226_124835.jpg.5311cd87d732eab054096eb01a259158.thumb.jpg.74eb42997bc338664c0da97d9a972b42.jpg

Thanks Gerg. I'll try that again in the morning. I tried pulling the white plastic bit straight out but it felt like there is maybe a wire or something holding it in place.  It came out a bit but the more it came out, the more resistance there was and I didn't want to break it since I wasn't sure but I'll try again when the sun is up 😎. Thanks and cheers. 

4 minutes ago, Darragh Griffin said:

Thanks Gerg. I'll try that again in the morning. I tried pulling the white plastic bit straight out but it felt like there is maybe a wire or something holding it in place.  It came out a bit but the more it came out, the more resistance there was and I didn't want to break it since I wasn't sure but I'll try again when the sun is up 😎

You can turn the lights ON for 5-10 min with engine running obviously to make some heat around the connector, then use mechanic gloves to pull it out will help you out with the task. 
Good luck 🤞 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

You can turn the lights ON for 5-10 min with engine running obviously to make some heat around the connector, then use mechanic gloves to pull it out will help you out with the task. 
Good luck 🤞 

Thanks Tony, should it come straight out or should I turn that white piece of plastic anti clockwise and then pull it out? I've tried both but I'm afraid of breaking it. Thanks. 

35 minutes ago, Darragh Griffin said:

Thanks Tony, should it come straight out or should I turn that white piece of plastic anti clockwise and then pull it out? I've tried both but I'm afraid of breaking it. Thanks. 

The Prius you have share the picture is gen 2 2004-2009, the bulb look like H4 type halogen bulb with 3 pin connector. Here there is a video that will help you go through it easier, you may need to take the light out of the car first. 
Good luck 

Thanks everyone for your help. I was able to change the bulb. Toyota don't make it easy. If I had smaller hands the job would've been much easier 😂

If you have small hands you can change the bulb out and the new one in, but it really finicky.

The "proper" way is to remove the light housing from the car and change the bulb on the bench.  That outer ring can be a real pillock to remove in situ, especially if it is a long while between changes.

I've done it both ways and will always remove the light housing given that is an option as it is so much easier and does not really take long overall.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had to do this recently, it's usually the driver's side that causes problems. The trick is to first disconnect the wire connector, remove the bulb holder, replace bulb. Then (here's the trick) replace the bulb holder and twist in to place THEN re-attach the wire connector. Impossible to twist the holder into place while the wire block is attached.

Once I read how to do it, it made it sooo much easier!

• Thanks 1