Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has anyone downsized from a Lexus RX to a Corolla?

Meld

Given my use of the main car and my annual mileage these days, I am seriously thinking of downsizing from a 3rd generation Lexus RX450h to either a Lexus UX or, even more sensibly, a Corolla.

Has anyone done similar? Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, Meld said:

Given my use of the main car and my annual mileage these days, I am seriously thinking of downsizing from a 3rd generation Lexus RX450h to either a Lexus UX or, even more sensibly, a Corolla.

Has anyone done similar? Thoughts?

Why did you choose the RX in the first place and why do you not want it now Ian ?

Back in 2010, when the recession was really starting to bite, I downsized from a GS300 to a Prius.
Since then it was Prius (albeit different versions) all the way, until I got myself one of the new Corolla Saloons in 2019.

I have looked at getting back into a Lexus, and although Lexus is the 'luxury' end of Toyota, the build quality of the lowly Toyota has come a long way and is now comparable to a Lexus. (imo)

Test drive a few, that's the only way you'll know if it's for you or not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If your thinking of a UX then maybe try the C-HR as in 2 litre hybrid form they share the same basic powertrain. 

2 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

If your thinking of a UX then maybe try the C-HR as in 2 litre hybrid form they share the same basic powertrain. 

The C-HR is as ugly as .... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, john p williams said:

Why did you choose the RX in the first place and why do you not want it now Ian ?

At the time, I moved up from an old shape IS300 Sportcross which was a brilliant car.   The newer IS was saloon only and the NX or RX was therefore the choice for a Lexus with a tailgate.  At the time, the NX was brand new and more than I wanted to spend.  Over 7 years or so, the RX has served me well but, as I say, it's bigger than I need nowadays.  Hence contemplating downsizing at some point in 2022.

• Like 1

I thought about a Lexus UX, but the boot was too small, if only they did a touring sports too? I have chosen a Corolla touring sports, it has the space I require and the quality expected from either brand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some Corolla hatch and Ch-R users say the space in the rear is a bit tight if you regularly carry two adults in the rear. Obviously depends on your use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Meld said:

I have the same opinion of the UX, the colour keyed wheel arch plastics on the F Sport & Takumi grades new for 2022 MY improve it slightly but the UX is still fugly to look at apart from the spindle front grill. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Meld said:

The eye of the beholder !

• Like 1

I had seen an electric ux top spec model and really liked it: materials, equipment, extras all top class however it looked  very cramped inside with not much of a space on both front and rear, ch-r not to my taste just because of the rear doors design that makes it even worse then the ux, otherwise both cars are good if that type of vehicle you are after. I will pick the Corolla TS excel, trek or design over them. 😉👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for everyone's input. 

Following a few test drives and phone calls over the 'twixtmas' period, I have put a deposit on a 6 month old Corolla 2.0 Excel Sports Touring with the panoramic roof (an opening sunroof is feature I have had on most of my cars over the years and didn't want to forego).

Although I have yet to see the car in question, I have seen enough to be confident it's a good choice.  If, when I see it, the car turns out to be a lemon, I will get my deposit back and look again.

Sure it's a step down from the RX, but it's going to give me an extra 20ish mpg.

• Like 2

Thanks for closing the loop Ian.

Hope all goes well. I could be tempted myself.

• Like 2

If you want cramped, don't get a stupid SUV, get a Yaris Mk4! Then at least you will save loads of money on fuel that you can use to get your spine repaired! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

It's not that it's an SUV so much, more that that the interior wraps around you, the centre console is massive and high.   The inlaws have an NX(?), similar footprint to the RAV, but where the RAV is open and spacious inside, theirs is not.  The back slopes down more as well so rear space is compromised.

I really hope Toyota don't also go the way of the coupe SUV.  I've never understood that either, make a car big but then waste the size with low roofs, sloping rear lines and tiny windows.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I collected my car yesterday, quite happy with my choice.

20220109_141604.thumb.jpg.d31435f17d1184eff748841b24ac26ab.jpg

• Like 4

Good choice and great looking car 🚙👍

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Meld said:

I collected my car yesterday, quite happy with my choice.

20220109_141604.thumb.jpg.d31435f17d1184eff748841b24ac26ab.jpg

Looks really good

the panoramic roof makes the white look so much more classy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2021 at 6:22 PM, Catlover said:

Some Corolla hatch and Ch-R users say the space in the rear is a bit tight if you regularly carry two adults in the rear. Obviously depends on your use.

Chr is more spacious than corolla on the back but it is rather dark and claustrophobic courtesy of coupe like windows and dark headlinings. 

C-HR has more room in rear seat compared to my 308 T9 hatchback.

I didn't really consider rear seat space when I ordered a C-HR as its extremely rare I ever carry rear seat passengers - it's normally just me & missus in car.

The dark & claustrophobic ambience in the rear wasn't a concern for me either.

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

C-HR has more room in rear seat compared to my 308 T9 hatchback

That makes the C-HR more spacious in the back than a Yaris IV, which has less than a 208, which has marginally less than the 308.

2 hours ago, forkingabout said:

C-HR has more room in rear seat compared to my 308 T9 hatchback.

I didn't really consider rear seat space when I ordered a C-HR as its extremely rare I ever carry rear seat passengers - it's normally just me & missus in car.

The dark & claustrophobic ambience in the rear wasn't a concern for me either.

Exactly similar situation here. So we went for C-HR

• Like 1