Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattle/knocking/tapping from seat height adjusters

FiestaRed

A few weeks ago I posted saying I had a rattle/knocking/tapping in my new Corolla TS, the noise sounded as though it was coming from the area behind the driver. I thought I had sorted it with a quick squirt of silicon on the bump stops in the tailgate but unfortunately it's back and worse than ever.

I have traced it back to the sliding seat belt height adjusters in the central pillar. I have pushed a small wooden plug between the plastic that slides and the plastic pillar surround and that's stopped most of the noise. There is still an occasional noises and if I push on the lower end of the sliding plastic, I think it's from there.

Searching on Google I've found other posts with people having the same problems, mainly in the United States but the UK too. I wondered if anyone on here had also had the problem but found a better way of fixing the noise?

I had the same problem with my Lexus. Moving the height adjuster on the centre pillar up or down a notch removed the noise. Perhaps I was just lucky with this easy fix?

• Like 1

Same....had it to a lesser or greater extent on my corolla and previous 2 auris. It can come and go and as above, moving it down a notch can stop it temporarily. I actually moved my driver side one back up the other day and now seems OK at its highest. 

• Like 1

Still got something going on behind me, but it's only over the bumps and sounds for all the world like it's coming from the back of the car. I'll experiment with holding on to the seat belt adjuster just to be sure I'm not suffering from the same issue.

The seat noise never came back since I settled the adjuster rails, so there's nothing too irksome with my car at the moment.

• Like 1

I had the same, a rattle from the adjuster right beside my ear as I sit pretty far back. Noticeable particularly if car quiet as I sometimes don't bother with music. Had dealer check but they couldn't hear it. I found on mine afetr experimenting it was dependent on the angle the seat belt was pivoted at. So person testing likely adjusted seat altering angle and no issue. I've altered my seating position back angle as I've settled into the car and currently not bothering me, but I may just check again to see if it's still there, or maybe better to leave alone.....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

Still got something going on behind me, but it's only over the bumps and sounds for all the world like it's coming from the back of the car. I'll experiment with holding on to the seat belt adjuster just to be sure I'm not suffering from the same issue.

The seat noise never came back since I settled the adjuster rails, so there's nothing too irksome with my car at the moment.

Also check the plastic trim over the rear high stop light and where the headlining meets the roof....its not held by the weather strip and can bounce. I've ordered some foam tape to try there

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, trashman1965 said:

Also check the plastic trim over the rear high stop light and where the headlining meets the roof....its not held by the weather strip and can bounce. I've ordered some foam tape to try there

OK Ian thanks.

On 12/29/2021 at 7:38 PM, trashman1965 said:

Fortunately, that's one piece on my car that seems pretty well fixed.

Although I've reduced some of the tapping by padding out the seat belt height adjuster, the noise is still there and sounds as before to be from the area behind the driver. For me, it's really spoiling a good car.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 10:54 AM, FiestaRed said:

Fortunately, that's one piece on my car that seems pretty well fixed.

Although I've reduced some of the tapping by padding out the seat belt height adjuster, the noise is still there and sounds as before to be from the area behind the driver. For me, it's really spoiling a good car.

Any joy Mike? I tried a strip of double sided foam under the headliner where its not 100% tight and maybe it improved it slightly...but I'm now at the point where I throw my daughter in the boot and get her to tap and/or apply pressure to pin it down. PITA - I still love the corolla but a lot more creaks and rattles than the 2018 Auris it replaced.  I'll get it cracked but not chasing perfection in all scenarios, nice as it would be....

Not really Ian. Forcing the bit of black foam padding where the seat belt height adjuster slides has helped but the annoying tapping is still there and it's getting worse. It sounds as though it's coming from the same area.

The sliding part of the seat belt height adjuster is fine on the passenger's side. No movement or rattles at all.

When you say the 'headliner', I've not looked at that. Any particular part of the headliner I should be looking at?

19 hours ago, FiestaRed said:

Not really Ian. Forcing the bit of black foam padding where the seat belt height adjuster slides has helped but the annoying tapping is still there and it's getting worse. It sounds as though it's coming from the same area.

The sliding part of the seat belt height adjuster is fine on the passenger's side. No movement or rattles at all.

When you say the 'headliner', I've not looked at that. Any particular part of the headliner I should be looking at?

On mine, right at the end of the roof at the top of the hatch/boot area. The liner is held by 3 plastic clips near there, but not right at the edge. So it relies on the material to keep it tight to the roof...unless there was previously something sticky which got pulled out when they fitted the rear Dashcam. That said, first 1k it was silent or nothing noticeable (admittedly I was enjoying the JBL 🙂 ) then it started on one spot on one particular road and gotten steadily more frequent. It looks almost like it should be 1/2 inch longer so it would tuck under the weather strip.

• Like 1

Latest...I rechecked my foam addition and the headlining,  added a new piece where it still wasn't holding it up, added the duct tape to hold it as it was only about 4 degrees in the hope it would stick as it warmed up. Bugger all difference 😃

Driving further, worse than ever, almost continuously so on the one piece of road it originally showed on...even the other half could notice it, yes that bad.

Stopped when I dropped her off, tapped around while she sat in the car, couldn't replicate.

Then tried tapping the plastic around the tailgate itself...there's a sizeable piece clipped on over the rear wiper (this is on a hatchback). Rattled like anything...drove back along the road in question, definitely still doing it. Stopped, wedged kitchen roll in multiple places, went back down the road then back home...silence. I am now able to enjoy the tire noise and seat belt height adjuster rattles 🤣 (neither are as annoying tbh and I will work on the height adjusters. But seems like I've stopped mine...

I think the sound is either plastic against plastic or against the rear hatch glass itself and it is being reflected up onto the glass making it sound as if it's coming from higher up.

Now I just need to work out how/where that panel is clipped and gentle remove and add discrete foam strategically and refit. Right now I don't see the kitchen roll wedged in the gaps and the noise going is a relief so it can wait.

Anyone know where the clips are so I don't have to randomly wedge trim tools in and risk breaking?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, trashman1965 said:

Anyone know where the clips are so I don't have to randomly wedge trim tools in and risk breaking?

Maybe I'm just clumsy, but my experience is that it's better to just buy some spare clips before you even start 😆

• Like 1

I had a noise I could not find, tried various fixes and then I put tape around the parcel shelf plastic ends which hold the shelf in place. No more noise 😄

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Roger F said:

I had a noise I could not find, tried various fixes and then I put tape around the parcel shelf plastic ends which hold the shelf in place. No more noise 😄

Had already done that and the edges and the plastic cover over the stoplight...its satisfying to find a crush a rattle but then it becomes an obsession. This one though was really bugging me. Going out again in an hour so I'll see what it's like over the same journey as this morning. Then I'll probably have a go at doing it properly...

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

Maybe I'm just clumsy, but my experience is that it's better to just buy some spare clips before you even start 😆

Yep...I know they tend to use the push fit ones but the clips I've seen so far are the plastic rivets with the pull out centres and the moulded catch on the edge...if I knew what I was working with I'd get a few ahead of time but as yet only way I'll know is trying to remove....you can guarantee I'll break/lose one.

• Like 1

I visited the Toyota Nation forum and found a surprising number of owners experiencing the same rattles from their Corollas. Most seem to be caused by badly fitting headliners.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 7:04 PM, trashman1965 said:

Then tried tapping the plastic around the tailgate itself...there's a sizeable piece clipped on over the rear wiper (this is on a hatchback). Rattled like anything...drove back along the road in question, definitely still doing it. Stopped, wedged kitchen roll in multiple places, went back down the road then back home...silence.

So, you just wedged paper between the plastic and the glass in this area (see pic)?

AJXAYKG7YNB6ZCVVUIULOXDL5Q.jpeg

Yup...tapped around it and wherever I got a rattle wedged kitchen roll...I do intend to take it off and put some foam around it but it was a quick fix to prove that was where it was coming from

Thanks, I'll try that too and report back soon. Btw, do you know how to take it off? I think it can be done by simply pulling it away, but I fear braking some plastic details/pins/etc. in there.

This is why I have yet to apply a proper solution...kitchen paper is out of sight so its fine for now. Hoping others would suggest the location of the fittings and the type. My guess its the push fit plastic rivets so when its a bit warmer I will try with a trim removal tool.