Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 T27 clutch problem

Mo_h

Hi all. Wondering if anyone has had similar issues or can give me any advice.

I have a 2012 Avensis T27 1.8. Last week clutch pedal went down to the floor. Had it towed to the garage and got slave cylinder replaced. Working perfectly fine until now. Clutch pedal seems to be spongy or maybe issue is reappearing. Should I get full clutch replaced or would it be something else? Mileage is 85K.

Thanks in advance

I suggest the system be bled first, to see if the system has a leak and not holding pressure. Then check the pipes, the slave cylinder bleed nipple is closed, the connections are secure and the master cylinder. If all seem fine, but the pedal is still not good, then it is back to the slave cylinder! Hopefully not since it is a gearbox out job. I had my clutch replaced back in 2017 as per my post - 

I did have a pedal stick down a while later after not using the car, but noticed hydraulic fluid on the gearbox and I think the bleed need to be pinched up. That was about a year later. I also put a rubber cap over the bleed nipple, when cleaning the area. Not problems since.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Konrad C said:

I suggest the system be bled first, to see if the system has a leak and not holding pressure. Then check the pipes, the slave cylinder bleed nipple is closed, the connections are secure and the master cylinder. If all seem fine, but the pedal is still not good, then it is back to the slave cylinder! Hopefully not since it is a gearbox out job. I had my clutch replaced back in 2017 as per my post - 

I did have a pedal stick down a while later after not using the car, but noticed hydraulic fluid on the gearbox and I think the bleed need to be pinched up. That was about a year later. I also put a rubber cap over the bleed nipple, when cleaning the area. Not problems since.  

Thanks for the reply Konrad. Just another question please - my car also is over revving when slowing down. It was just over 2000 but now its over 3000. Does this give any indication whether its a clutch issue?

14 hours ago, Mo_h said:

Thanks for the reply Konrad. Just another question please - my car also is over revving when slowing down. It was just over 2000 but now its over 3000. Does this give any indication whether its a clutch issue?

That is a good question. My car does it more recently intermittently and I think I have found a minor solution. If I come to a stop and the engine is revving, if possible, I engage the parking brake, put the car in neutral, taking foot off the clutch pedal. After a few seconds, the revs come down to normal idle. Nearly every time I have done this, the idle remains normal after. It could be clutch drag, but who knows. My clutch is still light, but I might do a bleed sometime. I checked the throttle plate and it seemed clean. Give it a try.  

Hi had the over revving problem, it was down to carbon build up in the throttle body causing the butterfly flap to not close properly.

I cleaned it and since then (six month ago) had no issues.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Shavestick said:

Hi had the over revving problem, it was down to carbon build up in the throttle body causing the butterfly flap to not close properly.

I cleaned it and since then (six month ago) had no issues.

Did you remove the hose from the air filter to the throttle body, or the throttle body from the inlet manifold to clean? I assume you used carb cleaner or similar. As gaskets or seals need replacing?

17 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Did you remove the hose from the air filter to the throttle body, or the throttle body from the inlet manifold to clean? I assume you used carb cleaner or similar. As gaskets or seals need replacing?

my clutch peddle dose a bit of squeaking where you recon Konrad where to spray silicone grease in there at 

You need to aim the spray at the pivot point of the pedal. You going to need to be a contortionist, lying on you back in the footwell of the car with a torch so you can see upward (or a mirror) and spray the the pivot point. Just have a rag or something handy to catch drips of the spray.

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 12:30 AM, 2009joe said:

my clutch peddle dose a bit of squeaking where you recon Konrad where to spray silicone grease in there at 

Joe, I would spray the pivot or hinge area and try the pedal. I have not noticed squeaking with my clutch pedal recently, but then I use my car a lot less. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 7:17 AM, Konrad C said:

I removed the air hose, placed a short broom stick to hold the accelerator pedal down so the flap is open, then sprayed a little carb cleaner on a clean rag and carefully wiped the crap down from the throttle lips, flap on both sides was not carbonated so left it untreated. Once finished, rebooted the car by disconnecting the Battery for few minutes (otherwise engine light would appear).

8 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Joe, I would spray the pivot or hinge area and try the pedal. I have not noticed squeaking with my clutch pedal recently, but then I use my car a lot less. 

tbh Konrad i hardly use mine as well as i get my work van so it dont get much driving but thinking maybe this summer i might take off the manifold and wgr valve and pipe and clean them out well i have ordered a genuine toyota intake manifold gasket and i have a torque wrench so hope after i give it a real good cleaning out that will be ok for 50k as there is 43k on it now.but i have silicone spray i must do it kinda anoying. i notice the plastics inside are not as well built as my older 1.9tdi with the dash creaking and these other things like squeaking clutch