Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New car paint protection

Flatcoat

Picking up a new Toyota next week and expect the sales pitch for paint protection. Having an ex who was in the trade I know the rip off mark up so looking for recommendations for DIY products. I normally use Autoglym products (save for the excellent Dragons breath wheel cleaner). 

• Like 2

Yeah, totally not worth it; Mine was supposed to come with Supagard but it appeared it was never actually applied by the dealership. Thankfully I was able to contact supagard and get them to re-apply it without having to go through the dealer, but TBH it's not lasted well; At first it was very hydrophobic but that seems to have reduced, but it is still easier to clean than without it, esp. for bird poop which is my #1 enemy!

I'd rate it around the same level as a good wax, but don't think it will last anywhere near as long as they say it would...

• Like 2

I did go for the paint protection ( don’t know why) said to dealer don’t want it then he phoned up with special offer not worth it this is what I now use apply the liquid wax then the speed guard from Amazon.

image.thumb.jpeg.1134de2981940f65168e100a7e538351.jpeg

image.jpeg

Funny, this paint protection baloney, Over the years, I’ve bought a number 7 or 8 new, or nearly new cars. Not once, not even for the one I bought in the UK, can I remember paint protection being foisted on me.

OTOH, monthly premium theft recovery insurance, under seal, I do remember. Is the paint thing something new?

I got it thrown in for free as part of the deal; It's normally used as a 'sweetener' by most dealerships, but some do actually try and sell you it for the £300-something asking price (Absolutely not worth it - Can get it done for equal to or less by a professional detailer, who will do it properly, or just DIY)

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 8:14 PM, Cyker said:

I got it thrown in for free as part of the deal; It's normally used as a 'sweetener' by most dealerships, but some do actually try and sell you it for the £300-something asking price (Absolutely not worth it - Can get it done for equal to or less by a professional detailer, who will do it properly, or just DIY)

I would rather negotiate max discount (which I did). The dealer uses Gen 3 which I can probably buy for about £25 on Amazon so will save myself £225 and do it myself. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 12/29/2021 at 5:11 AM, Stopeter44 said:

Funny, this paint protection baloney, Over the years, I’ve bought a number 7 or 8 new, or nearly new cars. Not once, not even for the one I bought in the UK, can I remember paint protection being foisted on me.

OTOH, monthly premium theft recovery insurance, under seal, I do remember. Is the paint thing something new?

I,ve ordered from a Toyota mail dealer a 56 plate Aygo in white

The specification mentions that the body paint  is "Special Solid White"

What is so "special" about it, or is this marketing speak for a non-metallic finish

On 12/29/2021 at 5:11 AM, Stopeter44 said:

• Confused 1

• 4 months later...

Some of the paint protection products are very good and actually work.  The only problem is - how do you know if the wonder polish has actually been applied before you pick up your car.  My motto is - Always insist for a Certificate of Completion before you leave the dealership and if that can’t be produced, walk away and leave the car with them.  Bona fide dealerships don’t want to get involved with suspicious customers who might lodge a complaint of them failing to carry out the requisite work.  A number of years ago, I made my feelings known that I wasn’t entirely confident that my car was properly protected and would be contacting the big manufacturing representative in the UK.  As a result, sales staff and management bent over backwards to show that the work had been completed to my satisfaction.

You can of course get this type of work carried out by a detailing business at a cheaper price but the same question arises if the work has actually been carried out.  You may pay more at a dealership but you have the advantage of being able to contact the motor manufacturer and highlighting unwanted criticism that the dealership doesn’t want.

• Like 1