Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris IV - Lane Tracing Assist / Lane Centring Assist - Do I have this right ?

Stopeter44

I'm adapting to my Yaris very nicely, but yesterday on the up and down twisty road to a nearby village it beeped it's annoyance at me too many times.

I think I was confused about the LTA and LCA functions.

• The LCA can be turned off, permanently, with a short press on the LTA button, i.e. it toggles "LCA on/LCA [edit1] This function doesn't seem to be the one that keeps beeping at me. It's only active with DRCC, so no need to turn this off, because I would only use this on straight or nearly straight roads. [edit1]
  • LTA turns on automatically at every start, but if I want it off for a given trip it's a long press ?

[edit1]Do I have to turn off LTA every time to stop it from beeping at me ?[edit1]

Edited by Stopeter44
added [edit1]

Yea, this is one of the annoying downsides with the Mk4 - It does like to beep at you!!

You are right - The cruise control auto-steer can be toggled by pressing the button once, but the beep warning is a long press to disable.

As you correctly surmised, the auto-steer setting (short press) is remembered but the beep warning (long press) is not remembered and has to be turned off again every time the car is started - A lot of reviewers and for the Mk4 and GR4 have complained about this and there was a rumour Toyota might change this in a firmware update but I suspect this is unlikely if it's a safety thing like the lack of an Off switch for the lights!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cyker said:

and there was a rumour Toyota might change this in a firmware update but I suspect this is unlikely if it's a safety thing

It's arguable it's a safety thing, because the beeps would make some drivers nervous, wondering if there was something wrong with the car.

I turned the beeps off, you can select steering wheel vibration, I'm going to try that, see how it feels.

I think if there's enough feedback, suggesting they make the default "OFF", then it's possible they may change it.

Sadly distracting drivers with beeping seems to be considered a safety feature too judging by how many modern cars beep incessantly! :laugh: 

It is like having R2D2 as a backseat driver sometimes! :laugh: 

I'm used to the beeping now, doesn't really bother me. I can see why it could be distracting though. I suppose it's important to known when Lane trace assistant has been disabled though

• Like 1

It's pretty loud, I haven't looked for a volume control for it. The roads are twisty her, and when the visibility, and traffic allow, I "straighten" bends, and even when I don't the beeping system was trying to tell me how to drive. While I understand that the car can't now what or if I am thinking, the beeps are damned annoying. My usual copilot keeps asking me what's wrong with the car! Lucky it can be turned on & off on the fly, and while driving.

• Like 1

It does make me smile that in the RAV I can permanently disable LTA but not in the Yaris.  Do they think RAVs are bought by elderly people who need it more? 😄

That and WHY are the infotainment buttons on the RAV completely opposite to what they are on the Yaris?

17 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

That and WHY are the infotainment buttons on the RAV completely opposite to what they are on the Yaris?

I was going to say "RAV built in Japan, Yaris built in Europe ?"

Thanks for the info on the long press to turn off the beeps. We went the scenic route a couple of days ago where the roads are only just wide enough for 2 cars but there is a centre line and a lot of erosion on the outside, was driving me nuts. Came back via motorway with cruise control, much quieter, although the radar distance control doesn't like Spanish drivers cutting in as soon as they pass.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dexter290 said:

Thanks for the info on the long press to turn off the beeps. We went the scenic route a couple of days ago where the roads are only just wide enough for 2 cars but there is a centre line and a lot of erosion on the outside, was driving me nuts. Came back via motorway with cruise control, much quieter, although the radar distance control doesn't like Spanish drivers cutting in as soon as they pass.

It's all explained in the manual. Obviously your car has the Spanish manual, I can understand why you wouldn't want to look at it in detail. If you haven't done so already, go to the .co.uk website and search by model, and construction date (Yaris Cross, after 6/2021) and you'll find the English manual. Although I can read French well enough for news articles, and books if I feel inclined, anything technical I want in English.

The multi info display is a bit fiddly to get the hang of, but once you've mastered it it's not so bad. You can go into the menu for, let's call them, the safety systems and modify certain characteristics.

I think the ACC/LCA is great on autoroutes/expressways, but on the kind of hilly/twisty roads you and I appear to drive on, LCA is more of a hinderance than a help. I am thinking of writing to Toyota France about the default setting, but the car is so new to me, that I think it's too soon.

I just don't like that it beeps and expects me to somehow know what it is beeping about - I pretty much ignore the beeping now as most of the time it isn't helpful!

Can you really permanently disable the lane marking beeping thing on the RAV4??

Another legacy of EU rules and regulations!

6 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

It's all explained in the manual. Obviously your car has the Spanish manual, I can understand why you wouldn't want to look at it in detail. If you haven't done so already, go to the .co.uk website and search by model, and construction date (Yaris Cross, after 6/2021) and you'll find the English manual. Although I can read French well enough for news articles, and books if I feel inclined, anything technical I want in English.

The multi info display is a bit fiddly to get the hang of, but once you've mastered it it's not so bad. You can go into the menu for, let's call them, the safety systems and modify certain characteristics.

I think the ACC/LCA is great on autoroutes/expressways, but on the kind of hilly/twisty roads you and I appear to drive on, LCA is more of a hinderance than a help. I am thinking of writing to Toyota France about the default setting, but the car is so new to me, that I think it's too soon.

Have had the UK manual downloaded for a while, think I might print a few of the relevant sections to keep in the car. Asking the wife to translate the Spanish one is asking for trouble, she tends to skim read stuff and tell me what she thinks it says. My Spanish reading is good enough to get the general idea but not technical stuff.

The other thing that it beeps at are the marker bollards on junctions where the turning place is in the centre of the road, lots of them around here, they are very close to the carriageway, I'm assuming it's the pedestrian/cyclist collision warning. Only seems to dislike the ones in the middle of the road though.

All this technology is a bit of a shock when the last 2 cars were 2007 and 2005 models.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On today's run to the farm cooperative, I could barely detect any feed back through the steering wheel with the "steering wheel vibration" alert set, instead of beeps. IIRC, if the LTA indicator is amber you get a notification, the beeps irritate me, but the steering wheel thing is benign. For the moment, it almost like not having it turned on.

BTW: how to toggle the beep/steering wheel vibration :-

LTAalertbeepjpg.thumb.jpg.4504e4807fff892edc2127cb2dd6f0c8.jpg

To get there, it's up or down on the mini stalk left side of the steering wheel to get to the car settings, then right arrows until you get to LTA settings, push on 'OK' and then scroll to the alert.

306206194_LTAVibrcopy.thumb.jpg.e40ca7d53bb9d8c87095e2763554a04a.jpg

Here it is set for steering wheel vibration.

27 minutes ago, Dexter290 said:

The other thing that it beeps at are the marker bollards on junctions where the turning place is in the centre of the road, lots of them around here, they are very close to the carriageway, I'm assuming it's the pedestrian/cyclist collision warning. Only seems to dislike the ones in the middle of the road though.

That could be the parking sensors, I have them go off when cars drive by and I am coming out of a carpark or petrol station, for example.

1 minute ago, Stopeter44 said:

That could be the parking sensors, I have them go off when cars drive by and I am coming out of a carpark or petrol station, for example.

Oddly it doesn't seem to have parking sensors, think it was part of the Style plus pack which we didn't order, unless it's another switch I've not found yet. the other odd thing is it thinks big rocks at the side of the lane up to the house are about to overtake me, get the blind spot warning in the mirrors as I pass them.

Will have a look at the steering wheel vibration option, got to be better than being beeped at.

2 minutes ago, Dexter290 said:

Oddly it doesn't seem to have parking sensors, think it was part of the Style plus pack

Yeah, the packs are all over the place depending on market. The Yaris "confort" pack gave me BSM, parking sensors, electrically retractable wing mirrors and passenger seat height adjustment.