Do Not Sell My Personal Information

19 inch tyres - good or bad?

tnjbrown

I'm thinking about changing my 2020 Excel HEV for a 2022 Excel HEV.  One of the differences is that the new Excels now run on 19 inch tyres.  I've been very impressed with the ride on the 18 inch tyres on my existing car and I've read several tales of woe about ride quality and road noise with larger wheels on some cars (not necessarily RAVs).  Do those who are driving on 19 inch tyres have any comments/advice please?

Many thanks in advance. 

ps.  I'm not even going to ask about the tyre "repair" kit.  Really not at all sure about that!

I can not directly address using the specific car but over the years I’ve preferred to have a smaller rim and a larger tyre height. To me it gives a better ride so if I’d had a choice I’d have gone for 18” rims rather than the 19” that can as standard on my PHEV. Probably the 19” look better in the wheel arches.

• Like 2

Unless you plan on driving around bends at the limit, there's no benefit to larger diameter rims wrt to smaller diameter rims, the ride is harsher, and rolling resistance is generally higher too (specifically when the tyre is wider). Larger rims are marketing BS.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We've been conditioned these days to view colossal rims and rubber band tyres as good to look at.

I never bought into it as all these Range Rovers with 22 inch rims or bigger just look like Noddy's car to me. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

More to the point the ride at best is compromised and often ruined at the expensive of alleged aesthetics. 

• Like 2

I'm afraid I can only echo the above comments. I have bought a couple of new cars in the last ten years which were very smart but to get the spec. I wanted i had no option but to accept fancy alloy wheels with low profile tyres. These proved to be vulnerable and I suffered a huge sidewall blow out on one and some significant rim damage due to kerbing on the other. The state of local roads is one reason why I like the RAV. On narrow roads it is not always possible to avoid pot-holes or ill-maintained road edges when there is oncoming traffic and the RAV's genuine off-road stance is reassuring.

• Like 2

... on the other hand, all PHEVs and recent "higher spec" HEVs run on 19" rims and I don't recall any posts complaining about the poor quality of the ride. On the contrary, most are very satisfied with the ride and handling they have.

You know exactly what the ride is like on 18" rims - a really short test drive would tell you what the difference of running on 19" rims would be so you can decide whether or not is acceptable.

I know, you were hoping the a forum member had already tried both ... 😉

• Like 2

The 2022 Excel now has the same tyre size as the PHEV 235/55R19 but they have a good size tyre wall so curbing should not be an issue, unless you try very hard.

• Like 1

It's more about the sidewall height* than the rim size - I tend to aim between around 70 to 60, maybe 55 at the smallest depending on the width of the tyre (55 on a wide tyre is bigger than 55 on a narrow tyre!), but any lower than that just ruins the ride unless the car has amazing suspension, and leaves the car vulnerable to pinch punctures and rim damage on potholes and a much higher risk of kerbing. OTOH any higher than that and the car gets really weird steering 'lag' as there is too much sidewall deflection.

On e.g. a 285 tyre, I reckon a 55 is okay, but on a 175 tyre it's in that vulnerable spot.

If the whole thing is 235/55R19 you're probably still okay, as long as you don't want to e.g. go rock crawling :laugh: but as Toyota don't give you a choice it's a bit moot. You could see if the dealership would be willing to swap your old wheels over if you really want, but you'd need to check with your insurance as that might incur an additional charge as most count it as a modification.

I got around it by swapping to smaller steel rims (instead of alloys), which so far no insurer has been able to find as an option on their systems, so they weren't able to charge me more money :laugh: . I just had them make a note of it on my account so they can't wriggle out of any claims.

* The 2nd number on a tyre label, e.g. 205/45r17 vs 185/65r15  - Both the same size wheel, but one has a bigger rim, wider tyre and smaller sidewall, while the other has a narrower tyre, bigger sidewall and smaller rim.

I must be the only one that generally always goes for the bigger wheel option.. 

To me it’s a trade off, I may lose a little bit of ride comfort but prefer the look of a bigger wheel. 

• Like 1

I have the same concern, my current Excel on 18" and expecting my new Excel in maybe a couple of weeks will come with 19" If there had been an option to pick 18" I would have chosen it. 

So I will be able to answer the question in a while jumping out of one identical car to another except 18" to 19"

I hope its OK, I do a lot of miles so comfort is top priority, don't care if they look better, my backside can't admire them from the drivers seat!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StreetHawk said:

I must be the only one that generally always goes for the bigger wheel option.. 

To me it’s a trade off, I may lose a little bit of ride comfort but prefer the look of a bigger wheel. 

To be fair this forum is a slightly unusual echo chamber for the appreciation of smaller rims - I think among the general population you're among the majority!

I mainly don't like them as I'm very much a function over form person, and big rims have so many downsides - They make acceleration and braking worse, they're more vulnerable to damage from potholes and kerbs, tyres are more expensive, fuel economy is worse, ride quality is worse, road noise is (usually) worse.

About the only advantages I can think of is they give faster, more direct steering feedback, and you can fit bigger brakes.

The looks thing is very subjective - To a point they can look better, but most people go past that point and then they just look stupid.

We don't really get a choice with most manufacturers these days anyway so it's all a bit moot!

• Thanks 1

55 profile tyres on my existing crossover give a good ride quality, partly helped by the OEM Michelin Cross climate + tyres. Therefore, I'm comfortable (no pun intended) with 55 profile tyres on the 2WD Dynamic HEV I've ordered. My test drive was in a Excel, so on 19inch wheels.

What I'm very pleased about is the inclusion of a emergency spare wheel with the 2022 spec.

• Like 1

My 4.4 had 18 inch rims and my 4.5 PHEV 19 inch rims. I honestly can't tell the difference (notwithstanding they really are two different vehicles - weight etc.) - perhaps I am not as sensitive to this 'harshness' as others.

Everything is relative though - all those clinging to 18 inch rims - well the same debate happened with Yeti's and those who managed to get 16 inch rims as special fitment as opposed to 17 inch. Remember, only a few years ago 17 inch rims were viewed as absurdly large. But cars are so much bigger now. 

As I understand it, the car was designed with 20 inch rims in mind for the US market.

• Like 1

I like the fact that if I have accidentally nudged a kerb, I have a chance of it not completely wrecking the rim.  I'm not a careless driver but noone is perfect.

Although as Cyker has said that's likely more to do with them being 60 sidewall and not 35.

Yeah, deffo the overall diameter of the wheel is an important factor. A 25" rim sounds absurdly large until you realise it's for a bus :laugh: 

I think the change from 17 to 18 on the RAV4 isn't too bad and not worth worrying too much about as it's got a healthy amount of sidewall. If my Mk4 had come with 16" rims I wouldn't have bothered going to 15"s, but 17"s was just too much. I just feel sorry for the spine of anyone getting the Mk4 GR Sport, with its 18" rims!!

My 4.3 and 4.4 came on 235/55 R18s and they were fine. My 4.5 sits on 225/60 R18s and that's fine too. I wouldn't be at all "put off" by the fact that the 4.5 is now supplied of 235/55 R19s. In terms of sidewall height, mine has 135mm of sidewall; the 19" rim gives 130mm sidewall - the difference is small and for me would be nothing to worry about ...

• Like 3

Hi

mate of mine has a 2020 model with 18 inch wheels and I have the one with 19 inch wheels 

quite frankly I can't tell the difference in ride quality between them. I was a little concerned when mine turned up with the 19 s  it but I really don't have a problem with them

Terry

• Like 2

Having swapped in September, I can confirm that you'll not notice the difference between the 18' and 19' tyres, they are not the low profile tyres you get on some SUV's!

It's easy to forget what a good job the Engineers did on the TNGA platform!

• Like 2

My 4.3 came with 18s as it was the flagship model; lower trim levels came with 17s. I asked the dealer to swap my 18s for some 17s before I picked it up. Someone else got a cheap or free upgrade. Me, I just got cheaper tyre bills in future. 

• Like 1

The verdict.  Firstly, thanks to everyone who took the trouble to respond - much food for thought. 

Went for my test drive and to me there are some slight differences in ride and handling but nothing significant.  Suffice it to say, order placed - am wondering whether it will be on a 72 plate!

Thanks again.