Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Higher mileage drivers and mpg

Madasadad

I recently bought a Kia Niro, lured by the forum reports of 55-60mpg.  I do 25-30k a year and current average is 51.

I’ve driven a few Corolla 1.8 GR and enjoyed them, however I’d a drive in a sports tourer yesterday in grey and loved it!  As a high mileage driver, approx 50% motorways, 30% a/b roads and 20% urban, what are other owners achieving in real world, higher annual mileage use? 

I’ve got a 2.0 TS, which comfortably does 54-57mpg on long motorway drives on average - I can get a little more on a warm day, and 60+mpg on country lane 30-50mph roads. 

The 1.8 is notably more frugal, unfortunately I can’t give any figures. 

Hi, the 1.8 seats around 10mpg more than the 2.0 in all scenarios. Winter cold weather and high speeds on motorways are not the best friends to fuel efficiency but even so 50-55+ in winter motorway drive is to be expected. I drive Auris hybrid from 2010 and I cover over 30k miles per year , sometimes even 50k and fuel economy is around 50+ mpg winter and 60+ mpg summer., if you are about efficient driving the keys are smooth acceleration and lower cruising speeds 60-65mph are the most efficient., E5 99 petrol also helps and makes the engine runs quieter and more responsive. 👍

• Like 2

On 12/30/2021 at 9:25 AM, Gray86 said:

I’ve got a 2.0 TS, which comfortably does 54-57mpg on long motorway drives on average - I can get a little more on a warm day, and 60+mpg on country lane 30-50mph roads. 

The 1.8 is notably more frugal, unfortunately I can’t give any figures. 

That's really good for the 2.0! Other owners haven't been getting so much, esp. at this time of year, but I don't know if they're on hillier terrain or just have a heavier right foot :laugh: 

Two things are mpg killers:

* Using the brakes.

* Driving at high speed - anything above 60mph starts to hurt and the faster you go the worse the effect.

I have always managed to meet or often exceed manufacturer figures. That's because I've learnt there's not much point rushing around (not necessarily true for people driving a high mileage I'll concede) and I've learnt to control the car almost entirely with the accelerator pedal. Look ahead far enough, anticipate other driver's actions and you avoid braking. It's a bit less of a gain in a hybrid because the braking system will recover some of the energy  but it can't recover all of it and it's still better not to brake in the first place.

I own a 1.8HB and I get mid- to high- 50s in the winter, mid- to high- 60s in the summer. On a long motorway run I can hit mid 70s.

• Like 5

On 12/30/2021 at 1:05 PM, Cyker said:

That's really good for the 2.0! Other owners haven't been getting so much, esp. at this time of year, but I don't know if they're on hillier terrain or just have a heavier right foot :laugh: 

This is on E10 fuel too - my tank average is around 53mpg at the moment, with a few short trips bringing the average down. Trip from Cheshire to Blackpool on Tuesday saw 55mpg at 72mph (indicated), ambient temps were around 10 degrees C. 

my summer tank average was around 58mpg. Not bad considering the performance on offer 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Two things are mpg killers:

* Using the brakes.

* Driving at high speed - anything above 60mph starts to hurt and the faster you go the worse the effect.

I have always managed to meet or often exceed manufacturer figures. That's because I've learnt there's not much point rushing around (not necessarily true for people driving a high mileage I'll concede) and I've learnt to control the car almost entirely with the accelerator pedal. Look ahead far enough, anticipate other driver's actions and you avoid braking. It's a bit less of a gain in a hybrid because the braking system will recover some of the energy  but it can't recover all of it and it's still better not to brake in the first place.

I own a 1.8HB and I get mid- to high- 50s in the winter, mid- to high- 60s in the summer. On a long motorway run I can hit mid 70s.

It depends how you break... 😉

38 minutes ago, mjjferreira said:

It depends how you break... 😉

By moderating vehicle speed using the accelerator you implicitly reduce the wasted energy in the first place because you reduce the length of time you are powering the car.

If I lift off ten seconds before you use the brakes that's ten seconds more fuel that you have burnt. The fact you can recover some of that via electric charging doesn't offset the fact that I didn't waste it in the first place.

• Like 4

I get 58 mpg (20,0 km/l) as average since the car was new. Current milage is 45.000. 

It's the 2.0 TS, standard 16" tyres, very few cold starts and short drives. Usually 6 miles drives as minimum. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone done near 100k miles with his Corolla here?

Just curious of the reliability experience. I haven't got my car yet, though, but will be doing 20k+ miles per yer and planing to keep for 7ish years.

Ordered TS 1.8 icon tech - due to arrive beginning of March

Toyota hybrids Engineering is now over 20 years old on the uk, and has proved ultra reliable. I have not read of any serious problems either in the uk nor USA when I was doing my research. Some Prius cars in uk now have done 200k+ and still going. A new Corolla (indeed any Toyota) gets a 3 year Toyota warranty and the Relax warranty is available when you have the car service by Toyota annually, extending the warranty by 1 year up to 10 year/110k miles (Read Relax for full documentation). Same with hybrid Battery, HYbrid Health Check annually extends warranty 12 month at a time up to 15 year (read documentation for HHC).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Niky said:

Just curious of the reliability experience. I haven't got my car yet, though, but will be doing 20k+ miles per yer and planing to keep for 7ish years.

You shouldn’t be worried about reliability of Corolla hybrid and perhaps looking for information about Prius 2016 -> as these are basically the same cars especially the 1.8 Corolla., I think it’s a rock solid car and it will age well. Good choice 👍 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Niky said:

Saw a 1.8 Corolla in the USA on a Facebook group that had one 170k miles, it was used as a courier car. Bodywork was battered, but mechanically it was fine. No issues to report from the owner IIRC. 

I have a 1500 yaris icon and sometimes i actually achieve 60 mpg. Motorways of course. Normally around 42.4 doing just eat food deliveries.

42 minutes ago, Gray86 said:

Saw a 1.8 Corolla in the USA on a Facebook group that had one 170k miles, it was used as a courier car. Bodywork was battered, but mechanically it was fine. No issues to report from the owner IIRC. 

Was that a model in line with the current uk Corolla, and was it a hybrid.

13 hours ago, Catlover said:

Was that a model in line with the current uk Corolla, and was it a hybrid.

It was a hatchback hybrid (1.8 as they don’t have the 2.0 over there).

screenshot of the post here: 

AC78532B-948D-4825-A696-AC9093036C4E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 plate Avensis Estate D4D. 1cd-ftv

250000miles. About 60000 with myself since 2016.

Workhorse. 3 big toolboxes, vehicle spares, woodworking tools, bench etc permanently in it. Used as a van. I cannot even say if the seats are up down, haven't seen them in a while...

Over 80mpg reasonably regularly. We live in a county with no Motorways so long journeys tend to be stuck in 56mph traffic.

Around town, mainly speed bumps, I have seen it drop below 40mpg.

• Like 1

Lol in one year 170000 miles, this car definitely been used on double shifts and non stop driving., otherwise impossible. My max been 50000 miles per year but some of my colleagues reported in the past they had done 80000+ miles, if it’s a company car who cares, but my own one even now sometimes I feel like I am holding a big hammer and hitting it all over 🤣 when I have to do this in one night ..picture below , out with a full tank and back with uhm, not too much left🤫😐

B73906B8-EBAC-4CE2-80E5-CE944BA3749D.jpeg

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Lol in one year 170000 miles, this car definitely been used on double shifts and non stop driving., otherwise impossible. My max been 50000 miles per year but some of my colleagues reported in the past they had done 80000+ miles, if it’s a company car who cares, but my own one even now sometimes I feel like I am holding a big hammer and hitting it all over 🤣 when I have to do this in one night ..picture below , out with a full tank and back with uhm, not too much left🤫😐

Did you mean mine Tony?

11 years.

It was looked after well. But it had lived in Lithuania for a few years and spent 8 years going back and forward between Kaunas and London. It had some interesting repairs done whilst in Kaunas.

We achieved this the other day on a run to Lincoln.

IMG-20220109-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.0e091e739078256415ce40028c35b4d6.jpeg

Hi Mar, it was the one just about 4 above yours. A Corolla in the USA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crustyoldavensis said:

Did you mean mine Tony?

11 years.

It was looked after well. But it had lived in Lithuania for a few years and spent 8 years going back and forward between Kaunas and London. It had some interesting repairs done whilst in Kaunas.

We achieved this the other day on a run to Lincoln.

IMG-20220109-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.0e091e739078256415ce40028c35b4d6.jpeg

I meant the American Corolla hybrid. 👍

• Like 1

!Removed! hell! That is some going!

Balls. Didn't even think that word was considered swearing these days.

Edited by Crustyoldavensis

On 1/13/2022 at 1:39 PM, TonyHSD said:

If driving is all you do, then I recon it’s possible. I did 51,000 miles in a year (in a 2009 Focus 1.8 TDCi) just commuting 100 miles to work (5days a week), plus weekend shifts (150-200 miles), and personal miles. If I didn’t do any work, and just drove for 10-12hrs a day, then 170k may have been possible. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links