Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charging cable supplied with RAV4 PHEV

Hayzee

Do you know the length of the charging cable supplied with the vehicle, and I assume apart from being able to charge from a standard 13A socket, the cable will attach to a wall charger too?

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

7.5 mtr.

Assume it can plug into 13A socket or to a wall box?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

Assume it can plug into 13A socket or to a wall box?

Thanks

Correct, I use the 240v cable all the time and charges the traction Battery when fully depleted (30% for HEV mode) in around 7.5 hours. I have it scheduled so that it’s available at a specific time each day. The cable is also used to provide cabin conditioning, heat or cool, before the car is used, power being taken from the house not the car. Works fine.

4 hours ago, Hayzee said:

Do you know the length of the charging cable supplied with the vehicle, and I assume apart from being able to charge from a standard 13A socket, the cable will attach to a wall charger too?

Hi......apologises if I've got this wrong.

I have not unpacked the default Mode 2 13A cable assuming it is not possible to plug into a Type 2 charge point.

However the more robust multicore 7kw lead is in regular use for Mode 3 16A fast point charging.

I remain under the impression that the 13A lead cannot be plugged into a Type 2 charge point.

Stand to be corrected on this.

Barry Wright Lancashire. 

20 minutes ago, Broadway One said:

Hi......apologises if I've got this wrong.

I have not unpacked the default Mode 2 13A cable assuming it is not possible to plug into a Type 2 charge point.

However the more robust multicore 7kw lead is in regular use for Mode 3 16A fast point charging.

I remain under the impression that the 13A lead cannot be plugged into a Type 2 charge point.

Stand to be corrected on this.

Barry Wright Lancashire. 

Hi Barry

Do you get both leads with the vehicle and how long is the 7Kw lead?

Thanks

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Broadway One said:

Yes the 13A granny chargers are designed to plug into a regular 13A BS1363 socket as you find around your home. They're not designed to plug into a dedicated EV charge-point, or wall-box as these would either have a tethered Type 2 cable complete with plug to plug into the vehicle, or a Type 2 socket where you would use a type 2 cable, with type 2 connectors on each end.

Only exception to this is some of the low-cost 'EV Ready' wall boxes that are 13A sockets for plugging in a 13A granny charger.

Not sure what the RAV4 PHEV comes with, my Prius PHEV came with both a 13A granny charger and a type 2 charging cable, for use with EV chargers.

• Like 1

Both cables with the RAV PHEV, both 7.5 Mrs long. Both heavy duty cable. For my 240v granny cable I opted for a 10Mtr MasterPlug and also fitted a Masterplug waterproof mains socket with breaker and surge suppressor.

• Thanks 2

Ernie.....do you have a link to the socket you purchased please?

Thanks

6 hours ago, Hayzee said:

Ernie.....do you have a link to the socket you purchased please?

Thanks

https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-mode-2-charger-1-port-2-3kw-mode-2-uk-3-pin-plug-mode-2-domestic-ev-charging-station/512gv

The Toyota 240v granny cable is very thick and makes closing the weatherproof lid difficult. However, I opted for one of the Masterplug cables, bright green, which fits perfectly. I needed a longer cable and also found the OEM one awkward and a metre short for my needs, I bought the 10mtr version. Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Just started using my charging cable (1 month in) and works well. Have this plugged in to a 10m extension cable - not a standard one, but a weather-proof EV-grade extensions from "Tough Leads". My setup means that I can keep the charge-control box at the plug end of the cable dry in my garage. However, presumably other people plug in to weatherproof plugs outside their homes. Is the CCID unit (as Toyota call it) itself waterproof?

If you mean the box integral to the cable then yes.

• 4 months later...

Just a big thank you - picking up new RAV4 PHEV next week and this answered all my questions for getting ready to charge.