Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USB lead hanging from top of windscreen

Gaz911

Hi, new member and recent new owner of a Prius business edition plug in. 

I'm wondering what the USB plug hanging at the top of my windscreen at the rear view mirror is for? 

I can't find any info online or in my owner's manual. 

Thanks in advance. 😁

Dash cam that has now been removed?

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. 

Were dash cams fitted as standard on these? 

There's not one present now but looks like a factory fitted lead? 

It's at the top of the windscreen though so I'm unsure how it would connect unless the cam would of been mounted at the top also? 

No not fitted as standard, sounds like somebody left the wiring behind and removed the dash cam. The dash cams stick to the top of the screen 

• Like 2

Nextbase Dashcam seems to be a Toyota dealer preferred extra. Have a close look to the upper left side of the mirror.  You may see traces of the adhesive. 

That particular Dashcam records position, time, speed and g-forces.  Very useful in the event of a crash. Of course it could prove your fault too. 

• Like 1

Definitely a Dashcam. The other end will probably be connected to the fusebox under the dash on the passenger side. There will probably be a piggyback connector to one (or possibly two if the camera had a parking mode) of the fuses.

If you can find a Dashcam with a similar USB connector, it will make for an easy self-install, saving you a lot of hassle, or the cost of a professional installation.

Fwiw, when I sold my last Prius (to a dealer), I moved the Dashcam to the next car, I cut off the old cables at both ends. Then I just bought new cables for the new car. The ne owner would probably curse me if he knew.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your replies. 

Mystery solved. 

At least now if I ever consider getting a dash cam it should be an easy job to fit myself.