Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

20 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

I dont disconnect my cables as they are attached with eylets their is a plug to disconnect the 12 volt charging system when mains charger in not in use.

If using the aligator clips I remove the positive pole red wire to brake the circuit as I dont want it moving and shorting positive post to ground.

Negitive wire is not a problem its already connected to ground unless you worried it might short across a positive contact ie fuse.

Please check holes in ctek  ring connectors mine were 5.5mm so I changed the positive one for a larger size I olso used a washer or two underneath to stop it bending up.

Negative earth point I cut it open and bent it out slightly.

The only setting up was radio choose a signal ignore 3 with no signal and select auto channels.

Hope this helps.

Derek, agree about the ring size as I had to connect mine to a less convenient bolt on the Corolla. 

Would a fork connector be easier?  Just slacken the positive, slip in, tighten up? 

I am considering getting my dealer to fit the cable. 

• Like 1

well cutting it with side cutters turns it into a type of fork connector with less ability of pulling off.

Please note on reconnecting Battery at switch on a lot of information was automaticly downloaded from computer memory to radio its possible it also pulled in info from mobile phone as this was still set up but lost shortcut infomation but this is just a case of holding button in and selecting a person from your phone list.

On 6/3/2022 at 11:37 AM, Roy124 said:

Can the next person that hard wires their battery please post pictures? 😁

IMG_0309.thumb.JPEG.947d1710272e0765bdc0b1f11b71965b.JPEGIMG_0311.thumb.JPEG.091002f21a46f48b0f6f53c1c808b080.JPEG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Please check holes in ctek ring connectors mine were 5.5mm so I changed the positive one for a larger size 

Thanks for all the info! They sell an M6 and M8 sized CTEK eyelet adaptor. Ive ordered the M8.
How did you manage to change the positive one to a larger size?

• Like 1

I  just happen one larger ilet in my mix of various ilets & a crimpimg tool in my tool kit.

M8 or M10 electrical eylets they as cheep as chips on eBay but I would reccoment a crimping tool.

I have known people just bash them with a hammer after inserting the insulation from wire and sliding the eyelet on.

Sorry that shoud be stripping insulation 

9 hours ago, Derek.w said:

M8 or M10 electrical eylets they as cheep as chips on ebay but I would reccoment a crimping tool.

I have known people just bash them with a hammer after stripping insulation from wire and sliding the eyelet on.

13 hours ago, Derek.w said:

M8 or M10 electrical eylets they as cheep as chips on ebay but I would reccoment a crimping tool.

I have known people just bash them with a hammer after inserting the insulation from wire and sliding the eyelet on.

Thanks but if the CTEK adaptor is only up to M6 or M8 how do you attach a M10 to it? Sorry if its obvious! 

Just posted pictures of crimping pliers and some fittingsIMG_0317.thumb.JPEG.dab823721e1a118ebac7d7af74b5e0f3.JPEG

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 10:53 PM, russd1971 said:

Thanks but if the CTEK adaptor is only up to M6 or M8 how do you attach a M10 to it? Sorry if its obvious! 

You have to cut old connector off bear back wires push wire into hole on new terminal and crimp it ie squash fitting to close it up around wire.

PS if wire looks very loose in the fitting hole then remove wire end bend it back on itself reinset and crimp if it has a plastic sleeve crimp this also both operations can be acieved in one go with a ratchet type of crimping tool.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a 2021 Yaris Dynamic Hybrid for one year now and have had to jump start it 4 times now after being in the garage and not used for 3 to 4 days - not good. Before the Yaris I had a 2008 non-hybrid Auris and used to park it at Gatwick airport for two weeks and it used to start fine on my return. My only option was to purchase a semi-professional power pack/jump starter and keep it in the boot (a life-saver). This Battery low state is not what you would expect from a brand new Toyota. Plus I know when it will not start as the brake pedal pulsates - this is 'Hybrid Happiness'.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 7:43 PM, TruBlu said:

I've had a 2021 Yaris Dynamic Hybrid for one year now and have had to jump start it 4 times now after being in the garage and not used for 3 to 4 days - not good. Before the Yaris I had a 2008 non-hybrid Auris and used to park it at Gatwick airport for two weeks and it used to start fine on my return. My only option was to purchase a semi-professional power pack/jump starter and keep it in the boot (a life-saver). This battery low state is not what you would expect from a brand new Toyota. Plus I know when it will not start as the brake pedal pulsates - this is 'Hybrid Happiness'.

Unplug the D/C CUT on the fuse box inside the engine bay.  With that, you do not have to worry about wiggling around and reconnecting the wire.  It  should be enough for about 1 month.  Otherwise, buy a Battery pack from Lidl/Aldi for jump start.  you do not need expensive big jumper.  It only needs 60Amps to start and £15 Li Jumper is good enough.  It disable all the body controller unit and reduce the Battery drain significantly.  I have Auris 2016 and I never have issue with the batttery but all the lights will be off after 15 minutes even if I forgot to close the door.  Not sure about Yaris if it has Deep Sleep mode. 

TruBlu says he has a jumper pack, this is a good investment as there can be other occasions where you flatten the Battery such as side lights or flashers left on. 

However 4 flats after 3-4 days is definitely not normal. After 3 flats over the first year my garage changed the Battery for a larger capacity.  After a 2 week valet park the car was returned and no comment made.  Later, after a period of Covid isolation it still flattened over 8 days. I had a charger but chose to see what happened. 

Anyway, before the garage changed the Battery I monitored the battery voltage drop day by day while the car was unused.  I was able to show the garage and presumably their checks showed defective cells. 

If you can, do the same and discuss it with your garage. 

• Thanks 1

I have a 2021 Yaris hybrid and it also has a recurring flat 12v Battery problem which has meant the car wouldn't start on 4 separate occasions. The AA/Toyota Rescue man said it was common call-out for him. The local main dealership seemed aware of the issue, which is common to the CH-R too, but not the new Corolla which has a bigger, better Battery, I was told. My Yaris needs to be driven for 30mins at 60mph once a week or left with the engine running for an hour. A better Battery is not currently available for it.

This is my first Toyota and it's most unreliable car I have had.

• Like 1

Jr, can you tell us a little more about the flats? 

How long between your last drive and the flat?  What driving had you done before you had a flat Battery

How long was it between you experiencing a flat Battery

In hybrids 12v batteries need much more attention than in ICE and certainly appear to be a weak link not just in Toyotas I believe. 

I can't comment on higher capacity replacements for Yaris but my Corolla was refitted with one 20% greater capacity; it still went flat after 8 days. 

Consider buying a low cost booster Battery, about £30, which can get you going faster than the AA man getting to you. 

If you can, measure the battery voltage each day you are not using the car. You can then badger your garage to do something if the voltage drops off over just a few days. 

The Battery needs replacing, due to lockdown and many cars just sitting batteries fail if kept at a low state of charge it will lose its capacity over a short period

looking up the Battery in the EPC shows it to be 28800-K0020, LN0 type - next size up is a LN1 what's 30 mm wider

• Like 1

Hello all, Toyota agreed to replace the 12v Battery on my 2020 hybrid in May. Since then I’ve not had any problems (fingers crossed) although it’s not Sat not being used for more than 5 days. I’m still concerned though about eg leaving it at the  airport for 1 week or more. 

I looked into buying a car jump starter (generally seem to be circa £80-100, ones most recommended) as spoke with AA who’ve been out to me 3 times. I emailed my Toyota garage to check the particular one I was going to buy was ok for the car (and push start model) but I’ve had no reply, which is disappointing, as I also was saying thank you for replacing my Battery

Has anybody bought a car jump starter and used on hybrid yaris which you can recommend, please. 

Also, Roy123 - I’d like to be able to check my voltage but I don’t know how to - can you advise me please  

thank you  

• Like 1

Yes, I have purchased following powerbank following a good online independent review I found, from following company:

https://www.mobilesolarchargers.co.uk/shop/details/overland-waterproof-car-jump-starter

I have had occasion only once to use on my 2020 Yaris Launch Edition after it failed to start during one of the lockdowns and it started up the car via the front jumpstart terminal no bother.

• Like 1

This is very similar to the one I got:

Nicoone Car Jump Starter,8000mAH 12V Portable Car Battery Booster Jump Starter with LCD Flashlight,Car Power Bank Charger for Automotive, Motorcycle, Tractor,(Below 2.0L) (Red) https://amzn.eu/d/7835GEq

Simply fasten to positive terminal and an earth.  That should be sufficient to energise the 12v system.  It holds the charge well, has a torch, can be charged using USB, and provide power for a mobile phone. 

The check your Battery voltage simply attach a voltmeter instead. Something like this will do the job and can have lots of other uses too:

Digital Multimeter Car Battery Circuit Multi Tester Voltmeter Ammeter OHM AC/DC Voltage DC Current Continuity Resistance Diodes Transistor Electrical Test Meter with Test Leads Backlight LCD https://amzn.eu/d/6yRrcwO

I am very tempted by a bluetooth, 12v monitor like this:

Battery Monitor BM2 device for Cars & Campervans 12V Battery/leisure battery tester Compatible with Android iOS and Ipad with bluetooth 4.0 and above. https://amzn.eu/d/4uQfU5E

The advantage of buying through Amazon you have 30 days to return it if you decide its not for you. 

• Like 1

Hello all, Toyota agreed to replace the 12v Battery on my 2020 hybrid in May. Since then I’ve not had any problems (fingers crossed) although it’s not Sat not being used for more than 5 days. I’m still concerned though about eg leaving it at the  airport for 1 week or more. 

I looked into buying a car jump starter (generally seem to be circa £80-100, ones most recommended) as spoke with AA who’ve been out to me 3 times. I emailed my Toyota garage to check the particular one I was going to buy was ok for the car (and push start model) but I’ve had no reply, which is disappointing, as I also was saying thank you for replacing my Battery

Has anybody bought a car jump starter and used on hybrid yaris which you can recommend, please. 

Also, Roy123 - I’d like to be able to check my voltage but I don’t know how to - can you advise me please  

thank you  

Hello Roy124 and AlfK

Many thanks for sharing the links to the products. I’m going to purchase a jump start to keep in the car as back up and the volt metre as that will be good to use to check every so often. 

I’ve had 3 petrol Toyotas and reliability has been a key feature of the cars - last one 130k+ and started first time after I’d been away for over a month. 

It’s a shame the hybrid has this unreliability and Toyota don’t seem interested in providing a solution, other than a new Battery, which I was thankful to receive. 
I had planned to get a dash camera fitted but as that works from the 12v I don’t want to risk adding anything other equipment which is going to draw on the Battery!

thanks again, for the advice/recommendations  

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links