Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Belt or Chain drive camshaft?

Flatcoat

I don't know but the article here: New 2.5-liter Direct-injection, Inline 4-cylinder Gasoline Engine describes it as having a "low friction chain" ...

Edit: and this article: Does A Toyota RAV4 Have A Timing Belt Or Timing Chain? asserts that it is, indeed, a timing chain.

• Like 1

Cheers, I had seen elsewhere reference to a chain however the info for other items was incorrect (referred to a RAV EV….) so wanted to check. 

• Like 1

I doubt any Toyota engine made (designed) in the last 15 years have a belt (is there is one, I'd be curious to know). It's all chain nowadays. The hybrid engines definitely are all chain driven. 

• Like 2

There were two earlier Rav4 EV's - the first dating back to 1997 and the second to 2012. The 2012 EV was a joint venture with Tesla, and used a Tesla Battery and drivetrain. Both were sold in California.

• Like 1

Dynamic force engines are chain drive.

Generally, I don't think very many of Toyota's designs have been vulnerable to belt breakage. They used to like to do non-interference designs, until fuel efficiency became high priority and it was no longer viable, so they started moving over to chains. I'm sure there are a few exceptions with belts and an interference design, but not many in recent years.

• Like 1