Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Google maps

Ian Bennett

Is it possible to show google maps through the corolla display panel?

Yes, I use Apple CarPlay to display Google maps and always use that for navigation, I’ve not used the Toyota nav at all. 

• Like 1

Moved to the Corolla club.

I do the same as @StreetHawk except using Android Auto. 👍

Oh, and I tend to use Waze, over Google maps. 😆

Lots of people tell me Waze is better for car journeys. It is also the main source of traffic information for Google Maps et al. as it tracks car speed and location and compiles it with data from other drivers to see if a road is congested or blocked!

I just wish there were similarly good off-line GPS map systems!

I toggle between Google Maps and Waze.

Oddly, Waze hasn't informed me of flooding and closed roads a few times, but Google Maps seems to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

I just wish there were similarly good off-line GPS map systems!

That sounds close to impossible to me, I don’t see how you can have close to real time traffic information, and be offline at the same time.

TomTom gives you offline maps, and close to real-time traffic. IIRC, they were the first to develop real time traffic in the late noughties. It was, among other things, based on SIM card tracking. You can use TomTom through CarPlay/Android Auto.

• Like 1

I used to think that, but my dad's Verso has an older Toyota nav system that definitely has no data connection, but somehow picks up traffic incidents like jams and closures and offers to re-route around them. I suspect it's some secret DAB or RDS thing they don't tell you about...

I have enough trouble getting the RDS/DAB traffic announcements to work on the Mk4! (Most of the time I don't seem to get any... and when I do I'm usually already slap bang in the middle of the incident already! :laugh: )

6 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

TomTom gives you offline maps, and close to real-time traffic. IIRC, they were the first to develop real time traffic in the late noughties. It was, among other things, based on SIM card tracking. You can use TomTom through CarPlay/Android Auto.

I have the TomTom navigation with live traffic built in to my 308 infotainment unit - its a very good system & its rare I get caught out by traffic as the system is very quick to update & warn you. 

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

I used to think that, but my dad's Verso has an older Toyota nav system that definitely has no data connection, but somehow picks up traffic incidents like jams and closures and offers to re-route around them

Traffic Message Channel (TMC) is a technology for delivering traffic and travel information to motor vehicle drivers. It is digitally coded using the ALERT C or TPEG protocol into Radio Data System (RDS)[1] carried via conventional FM radio broadcasts. It can also be transmitted on Digital Audio Broadcasting or satellite radio.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

I used to think that, but my dad's Verso has an older Toyota nav system that definitely has no data connection, but somehow picks up traffic incidents like jams and closures and offers to re-route around them. I suspect it's some secret DAB or RDS thing they don't tell you about...

TMC, as indicated above was an interim solution, and not particularly in realtime.

Many many years ago, I had a RAC Traffic Alert 1210 that used to warn of traffic jams up to 15 miles ahead - IIRC it was linked to Cellnet / Traffic Master to pick up signals from roadside beacons. 

Google maps for me since 2012 , works the best in all situations and has very accurate traffic information. Sometimes they have no coordinates of brand new buildings especially outside big cities and towns and in that case I switch to Apple maps, they seems to have it all. 

On reading about the new mapping system for the MY22 infotainment system for Corolla, it seems it has a built in sim card that works like a smart phone does. Meaning that it should automatically show live traffic problems and alerts similar to Google maps do now. No smart phone required.

30 minutes ago, bigblock said:

On reading about the new mapping system for the MY22 infotainment system for Corolla, it seems it has a built in sim card that works like a smart phone does. Meaning that it should automatically show live traffic problems and alerts similar to Google maps do now. No smart phone required.

It will for the first 4 years & then the owner will have to pay to renew the subscription if they wish to continue using the live traffic services etc. 

I've seen mention of £75 per year at renewal time but nothing official yet.