Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diagonstics on Avensis T22 pre-facelift

Hi all.

I tried connecting a generic OBD2 code reader to my Avensis' OBD2 port, but it only said "Error communicating with ECU" or something similar.

I am wondering if a cable like this one (link), combined with Techstream software will work with my Avensis, and if it does, what customization options does it give you?

Thanks

I used to own a '98 1.8 7AFE Avensis, and unfortunately all pre facelift Avensis with the cambelt petrol engines are not OBD2 compatible, even though there is a standard OBD port in the car. This means no standard OBD2 diagnostics scanner will work with the older cars mentioned above. 

There is a way to diagnose the cause of the EML, ABS, and SRS warning lights if they come on and stay illuminated after the engine has started. I have used the 'paperclip' method many times to solve issues, mainly the O2 sensor which is code 21 (EML flashes twice, pause then once followed by a longer pause the repeat. A piece of wire is inserted into pins 4 and 13 as shown in my photo in the post. The key is turned to IGN (not start the engine), and the three caution/warning lights will flash. Constant quick flash means no faults stored. Slower Morse code style flashes with pauses mean a fault is stored. here are some of the codes for the EML - 

If the sequence is 1 flash followed by 2 flashes then a long pause, you have crankshaft position censor or ECU fault.

code 12 & 13 are RPM signal - crankshaft position circuits, ECU & wiring and connectors.

code 21 - O2 sensor - make sure connection are good.

code 22 - coolant temperature signal

code 24 - air intake temperature signal

code 25 - lean error

code 31 - vacuum signal sensor

code 33 - Idle Speed Control Valve

If you have a fault with the ABS or SRS (airbags and seatbelts) let me know.

Here are some previous posts relating to your issue - 

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful response.

Does the lack of OBD2 support mean that I am out of luck if I try using Techstream?

If so, what diagnostic tool does the car support? Asking out of curiosity as I don't have any fault codes currently.

It's early obd2, but not all tools will read early cars (obd1/1.5 compliant) techstream clone should be able to read it - 2000 should be pre can bus, more than likely it uses K-line, L-line or J-OBD

Thanks.

Does that mean that if I buy a mini-vci Techstream cable, like this one, I will be able to read fault codes, engine data etc?

I have read a bunch of threads about people being able to customise things like the behavior of the central locking, lights, alarm etc, using the Techstream software, on cars as old as 2004.

Does the Avensis T22 pre-facelift support any such options?

16 hours ago, 34082304823048 said:

Thanks.

Does that mean that if I buy a mini-vci Techstream cable, like this one, I will be able to read fault codes, engine data etc?

I have read a bunch of threads about people being able to customise things like the behavior of the central locking, lights, alarm etc, using the Techstream software, on cars as old as 2004.

Does the Avensis T22 pre-facelift support any such options?

I cannot answer your question, because I am not sure without testing myself. I don't know anyone with a pre face lift Avensis. I cannot remember getting my little kit with the mini VCI cable and Techstream, working on my Mk1 Avensis. I was satisfied using the paperclip method and list of fault codes. There was only three modules to be checked on the early T22 if a fault occurred - EML, ABS and SRS. I got Techstream and mini VCI cable for my current T27 Avensis with it's many modules and customisation. 
Save your money for now, unless you have a later Toyota.