Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2007 RAV4 2.2D 136HP Hesitation

AnteP

Hi,

I'm living in northern Sweden and bought my Rav4 a couple months ago.

New years weekend I was driving up to our mountain cabin about 220 km north from home.

After about 150 km constant driving approx. 80-100 km/h CC I stopped to turn to another road.

When speeding up I noticed that the car started to hesitate when reving at the higher gears 4-5-6.

I could drive around 100km/h tops, after that I had no power.

In neutral i could rev normal, and nothing else indicated any problem, fine idle, no warning on display.

Rest of the trip worked out but with lack of power/hesitation.

On the hill up to our cabin I had to use lower gears and it kind of hesitated all the way up.

The day after, problem was gone.

Today my brother in law took the car home, the same way as me, and had no problem at all.

The big change on my way up was that the outside temp went from -5c to -13c when the problem showed up.

When really cold temp outside I need start it maybe 3-4 times, since it dies directly.

Any tip of where to start looking ?

Ante

7 hours ago, AnteP said:

Hi,

I'm living in northern Sweden and bought my Rav4 a couple months ago.

New years weekend I was driving up to our mountain cabin about 220 km north from home.

After about 150 km constant driving approx. 80-100 km/h CC I stopped to turn to another road.

When speeding up I noticed that the car started to hesitate when reving at the higher gears 4-5-6.

I could drive around 100km/h tops, after that I had no power.

In neutral i could rev normal, and nothing else indicated any problem, fine idle, no warning on display.

Rest of the trip worked out but with lack of power/hesitation.

On the hill up to our cabin I had to use lower gears and it kind of hesitated all the way up.

The day after, problem was gone.

Today my brother in law took the car home, the same way as me, and had no problem at all.

The big change on my way up was that the outside temp went from -5c to -13c when the problem showed up.

When really cold temp outside I need start it maybe 3-4 times, since it dies directly.

Any tip of where to start looking ?

Ante

- fuel filter + bleeding of an air from fuel system + winter quality diesel

try this

Thanks 👍

Will order a new filter and change.

After looking around the forum, I'm thinking about the SCV.

Can it be the troublemaker if not the filter?

Saw some threads when 3-4 start attemps where needed when cold, and the SCV came up as a suggestion.

Mine does so too, when outsidetemp is dropping.

53 minutes ago, AnteP said:

Thanks 👍

Will order a new filter and change.

After looking around the forum, I'm thinking about the SCV.

Can it be the troublemaker if not the filter?

Saw some threads when 3-4 start attemps where needed when cold, and the SCV came up as a suggestion.

Mine does so too, when outsidetemp is dropping.

when SCV plays with you - the engine will be rather stoped , as SCV is normlly closed valve and is opened when 12V is fed to its coil

start with filter and revert with outcome

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't changed my filter yet, but I've been driving around 1000 km's since the issue occured, and it haven't happened since.

I'm going to change my dieselfilter, but will wait until the yearly maintenance coming up in a few months. 

Maybe it could have been something wrong with the diesel from the gas station ?

Ante

10 hours ago, AnteP said:

I haven't changed my filter yet, but I've been driving around 1000 km's since the issue occured, and it haven't happened since.

I'm going to change my dieselfilter, but will wait until the yearly maintenance coming up in a few months. 

Maybe it could have been something wrong with the diesel from the gas station ?

Ante

also check if variable vanes are rotated smoothly by finger (turbocharger)

Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links