Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Dashcam and DAB Radio

Jrooney06

Has anyone had any issues installing a rear dash cam in regards to the DAB radio and it’s antenna. About the purchase a rear cam and the installer is warning me that it may affect the DAB radio. 

A few people have had that - In some cases it's stopped the DAB working until they disconnected it!

The problem is there's no real way of knowing if it'll affect it until it's installed. You can use a ferrite bead on the wire to dampen some of the high frequency noise, which has helped some people, or see if shielded USB cables are a thing.

• Sad 1

I wonder if the camera model is relevant. I have a straight forward Nextbase camera fitted and no issues.  Its only connection is power.  It is wired in somewhere and not spliced to a power source near the aerial. 

I have had no issues. 

• Like 1

I use a garmin one of those small ones about the size of a key remote with a small adhesive pad that I fitted to the rear hatchback stuck it in between the rear screen heater wires no issues with the dab radio.

• Like 1

I’ve been toying with a thinkware f200 pro. The rear camera from what I can understand is just a simple camera. Sounds like I’ll just have to order it and hope for the best. The other thing that really annoys me that the new Corolla doesn’t seem to have is global locking eg when you pull away the doors automatically lock. Seems like the rav4 has it but not the Corolla in the uk. 

7 minutes ago, Jrooney06 said:The other thing that really annoys me that the new Corolla doesn’t seem to have is global locking eg when you pull away the doors automatically lock. Seems like the rav4 has it but not the Corolla in the uk. 

Yes annoying the rav4 excel has lots of extras that the corolla excel does not as i have said previously on this forum must be because the rav 4 excel is nearly £39000 with the pan roof.

50 minutes ago, Rosgoe said:

Yes annoying the rav4 excel has lots of extras that the corolla excel does not as i have said previously on this forum must be because the rav 4 excel is nearly £39000 with the pan roof.

Fair enough but in the US by law it must have global locking so it’s merely a software decision and it makes the car a lot safer. The car I’m talking about is the gr Corolla 2.0 so it is the top spec but I understand the RAV4 is more expensive. Can’t be too annoyed though considering the standard equipment that it has. 

7 minutes ago, Jrooney06 said:

Fair enough but in the US by law it must have global locking so it’s merely a software decision

The Corolla and Rav4 for the US market will be manufactured in the US/Canada for that market - the Rav4 for the UK market is manufactured in Japan, and the Corolla in the UK and Turkey. So there may well be differences in systems, etc, so may not be just a software issue

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I wonder if the camera model is relevant. I have a straight forward Nextbase camera fitted and no issues.  Its only connection is power.  It is wired in somewhere and not spliced to a power source near the aerial. 

I have had no issues. 

It tends to be less of a problem with front-mounted cameras, except where the DAB antenna wiring runs up the same A-pillar as the Dashcam power, esp. if the Dashcam power supply is cheap and nasty.

The problem is more with rear ones, esp. if the power and data lines are quite noisy - If they run close to the DAB antenna and its wiring it can swamp them; Some, usually cheaper cameras, skimp on suppression capacitors and have really awful noise output.

It's inverse-square tho', so just getting the cable as far from the DAB antenna and its wiring as possible will likely help a lot.

• Thanks 1