Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear indicator Toyota IQ 2011

Mercianman

Can anybody please inform me what is the purpose of the gear change indication light on the main dash panel, it seems that all it indicates is when going up the gears, not down

It's just some half-arsed eco thing to say when the best place to shift up for the best fuel economy. Mostly what it seems to do is just labour the engine - Almost everyone who has it says it tells them to shift too early, and if they do what it says the engine just sounds like it's going to die :laugh: 

• Like 2

The EU required gear shift indicators to be fitted to all manual new cars with new Type Approval from 1st November 2012, and to all manual new cars from 1st November 2014. The aim was to encourage more economical driving by indicating the best gear in which to be in.

Some manufacturers, including Toyota, fitted gear shift indicators before the requirement became legal. However production of the IQ for Europe ceased before it was required to comply from November 2014.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

It's just some half-ubikd eco thing to say when the best place to shift up for the best fuel economy. Mostly what it seems to do is just labour the engine - Almost everyone who has it says it tells them to shift too early, and if they do what it says the engine just sounds like it's going to die :laugh: 

I quite agree with you on that. In my opinion it’s one of the most useless devices ever put in a vehicle. Most of the modern devices can be useful most of the time, however due to some half assed safety rules some of them are a pain in the aforesaid *****.

• Like 1