Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just bought an Avensis!

SB1500

Hello Avensis people,  this is my introduction to your part of the forum.  I posted the other week about buying an Auris over in that section, but the sale fell through and yesterday I bought this: https://www.georgeoharamotors.com/stock.html?car=293703665

A 2018 (68 reg) Avensis Business Edition in silver with 54,000 miles. 1.6 D4D diesel (the dreaded BMW one - hope it's not too big of an issue in practice).

I'm coming from a 2017 DS 3 Prestige with a 1.6 BlueHDI 120 engine which was pretty quick. It was a decent spec but had a lot of bodywork issues fixed under warranty, each of the 8 parking sensors replaced individually as they broke, corroded alloys that needed replaced and other intermittent electronic faults popping up on the screen at just 4 years old..  so I parted ways looking for a bigger, more comfortable and reliable car. Originally an Auris, but I saw that Avensis yesterday on the forecourt and here I am.

Are there any common problems with these 2018 models and engine that I should seek to get sorted with Toyota? The Gov.UK site says outstanding recalls but won't shed any light on what precisely needs done. I don't think there's any sense calling my local Toyota dealership until the car is here on Friday.

So excited to get this car!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Well done! Enjoy your new car. , I think you made a better choice picking up avensis, Auris would have been the best with hybrid power train, but since the avensis has never been offered as hybrid the one you have sounds pretty good to me👍🏁

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Well done! Enjoy your new car. , I think you made a better choice picking up avensis, Auris would have been the best with hybrid power train, but since the avensis has never been offered as hybrid the one you have sounds pretty good to me👍🏁

Thanks. Yeah, the more reviews I watched of the Auris, they tended to focus on the Hybrid with its specific kit, things like the keyless entry and automatic gears would make it a phenomenal package. But I checked again yesterday, and a decent Auris Hybrid (as available in NI presently) is a few grand more than I can justify presently 🙂

I had only once bad experience with Toyota cars to date and it was with an Auris 2013 1.4d, what a lemon but most interesting bit was that me, the man who sold hundreds of cars and helped hundreds of people to choose the right car for themselves failed to recognise the lemon from distance and lost some £££ from that car, as I simply refused on the collection day after drove it for around 50 miles on the motorway. I didn’t want to mention to you that experience previously as it was very likely one of case although I found afterwards more owners with the same issues from the same model even with different power trains, petrol and even a hybrids. Since then I believe that Auris gen 2 made between 2013-2015 should be taken with a pinch of salt and thoroughly inspected  prior to purchase, or perhaps best avoided. Later models like the one you was about seems to have less problems. Car reviews from auto journalists are very biased and often paid so this also take with caution. 👌🚙

• Like 3

Yep, if it doesn't drive like a German car like a Golf, then motoring journalists not interested. Always slate the ECVT. The roar while accelerating in a Hybrid. Compare an Auris to an Octavia, which is a larger car etc.

I chose a hybrid Auris 2015 estate. Like estates. Also like the zero tax. Hope it stays low for a while as believe re pricing road tax in April for cars newer than 2017.

I looked at a few Octavia saloons/estates but in my budget equipment was poor, Toyota reliability and Hybrid really appealed to me. The avensis looked like a nice car. Was a 2016 diesel estate,  for around 8k when I was looking around the Toyota dealer nearly 2 years ago. Looked roomy with black leather, 30k miles. 

Really wanted an auto too, as since 2009 only bought automatics. A 1989 Volvo 240 GLT petrol estate, auto and currently own a 1996 Volvo 940 SE LPT petrol Auto. The auto Auris is a nice quiet drive, the roar you get used too. I'm 42 but like Auto as like driving a big go cart. The Volvo engine and autobox, AW70 is a good match and no turbo lag.

Used prices are crazy now, great if you can trade used and buy brand new! 

James👍

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Auris James said:

Yep, if it doesn't drive like a German car like a Golf, then motoring journalists not interested. Always slate the ECVT. The roar while accelerating in a Hybrid. Compare an Auris to an Octavia, which is a larger car etc.

I chose a hybrid Auris 2015 estate. Like estates. Also like the zero tax. Hope it stays low for a while as believe re pricing road tax in April for cars newer than 2017.

I looked at a few Octavia saloons/estates but in my budget equipment was poor, Toyota reliability and Hybrid really appealed to me. The avensis looked like a nice car. Was a 2016 diesel estate,  for around 8k when I was looking around the Toyota dealer nearly 2 years ago. Looked roomy with black leather, 30k miles. 

Really wanted an auto too, as since 2009 only bought automatics. A 1989 Volvo 240 GLT petrol estate, auto and currently own a 1996 Volvo 940 SE LPT petrol Auto. The auto Auris is a nice quiet drive, the roar you get used too. I'm 42 but like Auto as like driving a big go cart. The Volvo engine and autobox, AW70 is a good match and no turbo lag.

Used prices are crazy now, great if you can trade used and buy brand new! 

James👍

Yeah, I stopped listening to car reviews a long time ago. I remember reading a surevey that they pretended was the be-all and end-all about reliability. One of the most reliable cars was a VW Polo... one of the least they determined was the Audi A1... the same car in a frock.  Total BS as anything that matters for reliability in the long run is identical on those two cars... I found the survey was based on warranty claims which in itself means nothing to long term reliability. Should have been a hassle in the first term of ownership survey! 

I actually determined that 'my next car' from the DS3 was going to be automatic and at least have heated seats. Turned out, right now in NI, for £11,000 which was my original budget you can't really get a decent C-segment car that isn't ancient or high miles for that sum.  What I could get, were a few Astra's 2017 plates with automatic in mid specs but I learnt my lesson with Vauxhall years ago. Much as I always liked their designs and thought they were otherwise nice enough. I think they were really starting to go somewhere design wise too just before GM left Europe. Some of the new PSA Vauxhalls look nice, but I have less faith than ever in them now.  The other choice was a Skoda..Octavia I think (Is that the Jetta in a budget frock?!). It was an estate - which I'd take if the other factors were all right (year/miles) - and automatic. But the interior was dull and drab. It reminded me of something on the level of the Suzuki Alto interior frankly. And what did look okay was clearly pulled out of the VW parts bin and that alone, I don't care what any journalist says, is more boring than anything in history that's ever come out of Japan. Only without the actual quality there for it to last.

I did give up on the automatic since the cars I could have gotten with the automatic now didn't seem nice or reliable. The heated seats, I did manage to get on the Auris Business Edition but sure that fell through and all things considered, I think the advantages of the 18 plate and the double-step up in size and comfort should hopefully pay off more.

I can always add heated seats. In fact, last month I added them to the DS3 which was a pain because of the circlips under the seats (which I managed to get out and in again without the special tool). I did a good job - no saggy fabrics.  The cheap £25 eBay heated seat kit was very warm and heated up faster than even in the CLA.  The switches were drilled into the dash at a respectable enough location too, and looked the part.  The issue was how the French did the fuse box.  Each fuse in that car had about 2-3 functions tied to it. I used a fuse jumper, but it turned out even when the car was off, even after an hour with the doors shut, power was always going to the heated seats. So if me or the passenger forgot to switch them off... goodbye winter start!  Within two weeks I had sold it though.   I might put them into the Avensis, if there is a suitable blanking plate (as I saw some kits come with the perfect size flat rectangular switch that would fit and mimic the Toyota style switch) and a decent fuse location, that someone upfront could confirm will be off when the car is off.

The automatic gearbox, well, I heard was only on one of the petrol Avensis models post-facelift.  I'd say I'll notice a considerable drinking problem with diesel as it is going from the DS3, so the petrol wouldn't have been a practical option for me in any case even if there was a nice model in my budget with it. But I'd say that would command another 1 or 2 thousand for auto.  Auto is the future though, I don't know why in the UK and Europe we didn't welcome them with open arms!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Auris James said:

I'm 42 but like Auto as like driving a big go cart.

Plenty of places in the world where there is no stigma attached to wanting to drive an Auto. It's especially helpful, and relaxing when stuck in traffic and just inching along, You're just wiser than the rest, I was well over 60 before owning my first automatic. 

• Like 6

Automatic has always been the better one to drive, more relaxed, smoother, easier and in some cases trouble free, but the big NO from eu countries was  because before Toyota hybrids there were no smoother and reliable automatics with great fuel efficiency, was automated manuals like Аygo or dsg  from Vw and the likes that breaks like hell or torque converter automatic that drinks fuel a lot and waste energy, pretty much nothing really in between until the Toyota eCVT was created. There are some good automatics but mostly on big and expensive cars like Mercedes , bmw, Lexus etc that can deliver excellent performance, good fuel efficiency and been reliable. If you ask me what to buy with your own money as automatic car the simple answer is full ev or Toyota self charging hybrids. 👌👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Automatic has always been the better one to drive, more relaxed, smoother, easier and in some cases trouble free, but the big NO from eu countries was  because before Toyota hybrids there were no smoother and reliable automatics with great fuel efficiency, was automated manuals like Аygo or dsg  from Vw and the likes that breaks like hell or torque converter automatic that drinks fuel a lot and waste energy, pretty much nothing really in between until the Toyota eCVT was created. There are some good automatics but mostly on big and expensive cars like Mercedes , bmw, Lexus etc that can deliver excellent performance, good fuel efficiency and been reliable. If you ask me what to buy with your own money as automatic car the simple answer is full ev or Toyota self charging hybrids. 👌👍

The 2021 CLA220d I had in October / November had a phenomenal automatic gearbox. 8 speed I think. It did still get a little confused at times though. People say the DSG is supposed to be great. I'm not sure how a CVT is to drive, I know how it works in theory and all the ridicule reviewers give them. But I'm sure even if it's noisy and a tad slow I'd rather the trade off over the effort of a manual.  Toyota's new one with a first and second starter gear seems to be a step in the right direction (but again never driven one myself). 

Some photos of the Avensis I bought. Plus, an Auris I test drove but decided against. 

1 (2).png

2 (2).png

2.png

3 (2).png

4 (1).png

4.png

5.png

8.png

• Like 6

The Avensis looks nice. Like the lighter and darker interior, breaks up an all black interior. Once serviced at Toyota, will get a 12 months Toyota warranty. Hope it works out for you this time.

My Auris is Icon plus. Satnav, Reverse camera, Heated front seats, single zone CC. basic Cruise control, not radar. Manual folding heated mirrors. 4x electric windows. Does the job. Excel is the top spec.

Things I'd like. Illuminated window switches on all switches, seems a bit mean! front parking sensors. Adaptive cruise would be nice.

Next car would be a corolla in around 5 years. Love the Trek version with a 1.8 engine. My Auris should last a while as only on 38k now, 940 on 206,000 miles.

James.👍

• Like 2

The interior of the Avensis is definitely a step up from the Auris and Corolla; Never understood why they stopped making them, maybe enroaching too much onto Lexus turf :laugh: 

I do still prefer manuals as, aside from the HSD (Which I don't count as automatic anyway as it technically doesn't have a gearbox :laugh: ), I've never found an automatic that you could launch really quickly - They all have a split-second delay when you floor the accelerator which is the difference between safely and not-safely getting a gap at a busy roundabout, and I've never liked how they pull against the brakes when driving at very low (sub-idle) speed which is something the HSD also does. (I discovered a minor issue with the auto brake hold mode due to this - If you brake too gently to a stop and the brake hold engages, sometimes the HSD will overcome it before it cuts power to MG2 and then the whole car jerks with that horrible gear grinding sound as the brake system autonomously engages the foot brake to max to keep the brake hold held. Now after I've stopped and the brake hold engages, I always push the footbrake in more before taking my foot off to stop it doing this. If the brake hold engaged the old-style way, i.e. you just push the footbrake in hard for a few seconds until it engages, this problem wouldn't occur!).

But I can see the appeal as it is definitely a lot more care-free in really obnoxiously stop-start traffic! The other thing that makes it less irritating, which is one of the big improvements they made with the Mk4's pedal response, is if I want to give it some beans, although I can't down-shift, the car seems to understand exactly what I want to do and revs up that lovely 3-pot to make just the right level of engine note, noise and acceleration without doing the redline-but-not-moving thing the Mk3 did (Although you can still make it do that for a second if you give it all the beans suddenly, but then it'll launch even harder :laugh: ).

When these things start coming down in price and come into the 2nd hand market, I'd definitely recommend one to anyone looking for a small(ish - The Yarisusies have put on quite a lot of bulk since the Mk1 :laugh: ) car that isn't limited to city driving and is darty, agile and ridiculously frugal at the same time!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Auris James said:

Adaptive cruise would be nice.

If you regularly carry passengers you're probably better off without - all I get is complaints, e.g.

Why is the steering wheel turning on its own? Keep your hands on the wheel! Isn't the car in front close? Why aren't you braking?? You're braking too much!! The road! The road! Concentrate on the road! Stop doing sudoku oh god there's a moose look out! etc.*

damned whiny passengers, they should be grateful I'm giving them free lifts!

*Just to clarify for some of you - you know who you are! - obviously I am joking :laugh: 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Auris James said:

The Avensis looks nice. Like the lighter and darker interior, breaks up an all black interior. Once serviced at Toyota, will get a 12 months Toyota warranty. Hope it works out for you this time.

Thanks - all the finance is through, this dealer actually is working with me. He said it'll be ready for Friday 😄

My Auris is Icon plus. Satnav, Reverse camera, Heated front seats, single zone CC. basic Cruise control, not radar. Manual folding heated mirrors. 4x electric windows. Does the job. Excel is the top spec.

I'm jealous of the heated seats. It was a pain to put in the DS3 and had power even when the car was off 😞 Can't put them in the Avensis until I have a gameplan for the fuses to avoid that outcome. 

Things I'd like. Illuminated window switches on all switches, seems a bit mean! front parking sensors. Adaptive cruise would be nice.

Next car would be a corolla in around 5 years. Love the Trek version with a 1.8 engine. My Auris should last a while as only on 38k now, 940 on 206,000 miles.

If my foray into Toyota goes well, I'd love a new Corolla or if they replace the Avensis size (assuming I feel like it's a need not a want at the time). Or if I can afford it, the equivalent Lexus to the Auris / Corolla or Avensis 🙂

Been reading some reviews of the Avensis. They're all fairly negative. The only points they give it is 'sensible', 'cheap to run' but all call it dull, boring and act like it's a car nobody wants. One review referred to a Passat as more 'premium'?! (on what planet?!)..  Well, if that's the worst thing they can say, it can't be so bad. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

Thanks - all the finance is through, this dealer actually is working with me. He said it'll be ready for Friday 😄

I'm jealous of the heated seats. It was a pain to put in the DS3 and had power even when the car was off 😞 Can't put them in the Avensis until I have a gameplan for the fuses to avoid that outcome. 

If my foray into Toyota goes well, I'd love a new Corolla or if they replace the Avensis size (assuming I feel like it's a need not a want at the time). Or if I can afford it, the equivalent Lexus to the Auris / Corolla or Avensis 🙂

Been reading some reviews of the Avensis. They're all fairly negative. The only points they give it is 'sensible', 'cheap to run' but all call it dull, boring and act like it's a car nobody wants. One review referred to a Passat as more 'premium'?! (on what planet?!)..  Well, if that's the worst thing they can say, it can't be so bad. 

on another review i read it says you will have a long troubless journey with the avensis which that sounded good to me lol im not so much into cars now so tbh its a great choice as those other reviews i have read alos about calling it boring and and a car no one wants only taxi men. if taxi men want those avensis well thats saying they last long without giving much bother .tbh i really love the ride in them its really comfortable 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hardly use the heated seats in my Auris or Volvo 940 or the 1989 240 GLT I had. Probably about 3 times a year. I feel the heat anyway. AC more important. Not working in 940 as has a leak.

Just find a fuse like radio supply at fuse board as that should switch off with ignition. Test with multimeter to confirm. May even be some spare fuse take off locations.

They all say the Auris is boring too. To some extent they are right, but wanted a sensible estate, cheap to run and reliable, which it is. It was designed as a sedate load lugger.  A simple A to B car. Still adequate get up and go!

My 940 is more characterful and puts a smile on my face when I use the kickdown on the auto box. Easy to service and reliable in the last 5 years of ownership. Bought my 1989 240 GLT auto petrol estate for £350 in 2009 and sold late 2018 for £500. Added 72,000 miles in the 10 years, pretty fault free, bar age related. Sold at 234,000miles. Both now asking silly money especially a GLT.

Had a 2006 Lexus IS 220 Diesel. My worst buy. Massive turbo lag, mismatched gearbox. Build quality and comfort great. 2.2 litre engine awful as headgasket went at 187,000miles. 240 on left, IS220D, 940.

Will you update us on Friday?

fleet.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Auris James said:

Had a 2006 Lexus IS 220 Diesel. My worst buy. Massive turbo lag, mismatched gearbox

Operator error. 

14 minutes ago, Stivino said:

Operator error. 

Driven manuals for a decade and no issues prior to the Lexus. Should of bought the IS250 auto instead.

Well, the finance is all paid. Spoke to the dealer, still on track to pick her up tomorrow!!! 

Got a few jobs to do, pick up an exhaust part for another car, cut up and take some old kitchen parts (worktop etc) to the dump. All things the size bonus over the Auris (and certainly over the DS3) will come in handy for. 

Then a 50 mile drive at the weekend too.. will hopefully work out if there's any issue by the start of next week. Hopefully not though. 

It doesn't feel real yet. I've went from a very, very basic old Fiat Panda. To a newer model (which felt like a big improvement at the time). To a relatively high spec DS3 which was fully loaded for that car.  Now to a much bigger (two size classes up) and superior build quality car (Toyota, right?!). With an even higher spec for the most part. 

It works out about an extra £30 a month over what I was paying. Only thing is, another 5 years starting this month. But it's a 2018 car - year newer - and future proof as far as my needs will ever go.  Even by the time this car is done / outdated, only then will it just about be a 'don't buy an ICE car anymore'. So I think it's a wise move all-in-all. 

I had a Mondeo as a courtesy car early last year, it was supremely comfortable. More so than the CLA 220 if I'm being honest. I hope the Avensis is comparative to that.

• Like 4

On 1/5/2022 at 11:59 PM, Auris James said:

I hardly use the heated seats in my Auris or Volvo 940 or the 1989 240 GLT I had. Probably about 3 times a year. I feel the heat anyway. AC more important. Not working in 940 as has a leak.

Just find a fuse like radio supply at fuse board as that should switch off with ignition. Test with multimeter to confirm. May even be some spare fuse take off locations.

They all say the Auris is boring too. To some extent they are right, but wanted a sensible estate, cheap to run and reliable, which it is. It was designed as a sedate load lugger.  A simple A to B car. Still adequate get up and go!

My 940 is more characterful and puts a smile on my face when I use the kickdown on the auto box. Easy to service and reliable in the last 5 years of ownership. Bought my 1989 240 GLT auto petrol estate for £350 in 2009 and sold late 2018 for £500. Added 72,000 miles in the 10 years, pretty fault free, bar age related. Sold at 234,000miles. Both now asking silly money especially a GLT.

Had a 2006 Lexus IS 220 Diesel. My worst buy. Massive turbo lag, mismatched gearbox. Build quality and comfort great. 2.2 litre engine awful as headgasket went at 187,000miles. 240 on left, IS220D, 940.

Will you update us on Friday?

fleet.jpg

I just spotted the Fiat on the right of your photo. Was this your car? 

And yes, I’ll update later tonight 🙂 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

Eagle eye, spotting the Fiat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Eagle eye, spotting the Fiat.

My first own car was a 2005 Panda Dynamic 1.2. Drove it from 2015-2019 for 56,000 miles, it would have been the last car I'd ever have picked but I had the offer of it being handed down and took it.  Joined the Fiat Forum (are you on there?) and got talking to some helpful people, and in conjunction with that and my uncle who knows a thing or two about cars (with a decent tool collection / garage) in all that time we never took it near a mechanic.  We did the timing belt, rebuilt the gearbox, replaced a bottom end oil seal and all sorts of big projects on that thing. I miss that car, funnily, the new Panda - and admittedly the DS3 - didn't live up to it. I suppose the sentimental value of your first car will never be matched! lol

If it was your car, what did you think of it? 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SB1500 said:

The Panda belonged to my neighbour. It's a 2006 panda diesel. 1.5 I believe. Only been in it once when we went to collect a boat calorifier, (hot water cylinder) 60 miles away. It drove well and he was very happy with it for what he paid for it and so far owned it for 4 years. Before he moved north had brake lines done, rear backbox and other bits for MOT.

When I lived in Normandy France, friends over there had bought a new VW Polo, diesel. One winter when it was 4 years old he slid down a snowy steep hill and crashed it into a shop front at around 15-20mph. Drivers airbag went off and had more injuries from broken glasses in his face from airbag and seat belt marks where pre tensioners activated. After said he should of steered it into the ditch.

Damage was to front but, when he went to yard to get his belongings, and all the side was bashed in by a fork lift!! Couldn't believe it but sussed out why. Breaker yard wanted the low mileage diesel engine! Insurance write off and paid in around a week, nearly as much as he bought it for!

Bought a new fiat panda! To be honest, said he could nearly buy 2! Had no issues in the 3 years later while we were there. When it was a few months old he hit a curb very hard and bust the wheel, tyre and suspension. Recovered to dealer and asked them to fix it. They did! Asked for the bill and got his wallet out and dealer said " it's free, we have repaired it under warranty" He was stunned and couldn't believe it, as his own fault as not great at road position in a left hand drive. 

Very exciting to be picking up your car.James.👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The pandas, and especially the 4x4, are highly rated around here. I was holiday in the mountains to the north of Gap, an area called the Champsaur at about 1200m above sea level, I was chatting to the owner of a coffee shop, and he said "people don't measure success by Ferraris around here, what people want here are Panda 4x4 and Jimnies!" 

• Like 4