Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just bought an Avensis!

SB1500

I'll be taking it down on Tuesday to get the dents fixed and the door lock issue sorted. They confirmed they won't be painting the car as they are only soft dents. Thank god for that, or I'd be living with the dents frankly. Haven't experienced a bodyshop worth its salt over here yet. Since the boot doesn't pop open from the key, that's a non-issue though I thought it was initially. 

17 hours ago, 2009joe said:

looks kinda plain without it suppose its a a avensis we not buying style i guess if i was id buy a audi a6 or something like that. we buy these kinda avensis for reliability and well its a toyota 🙂

Audi?! STYLE?!  you've gotta be kidding me 😉 lol  I'd be looking closer to France or Italy for cars with true style. Germany ~ fun to drive (while they work) maybe?! lol

• 2 weeks later...

so, got the EGR cooler recall done. Very impressed with the speed of the Toyota dealer, they had it ready for 12 the next day. I asked them to check the door that had to be manually unlocked each time before getting out of the car, they replaced that part under warranty.  They also replaced the handbrake actuator which was way too noisy! It's not silent unless you listen out for it, same as the Merc I had noise wise. That's all nice.

Also got them to do the brake fluid and coolant while it was down there, £125 lighter but that's the messy hassle jobs done. All that I'll do is oil and filters now in the coming months. Thinking of ordering 'MANN-FILTER' parts, used them on the DS3 and they do things like the fancy cabin filter with the 'anti fumes' and 'anti bacterial' coatings too.

Can anybody tell me how replacing the diesel fuel filter goes on these? On the DS3 it was just disconnect the lines into it, twist off the top of the cannister, put the new one in and let it sort itself out with its own bleeding valve / process and job was a goodn' (after the messy loss of diesel which was my fault).  Same kind of process on the BMW / 1WW engine? 

Took a good look at the car last night in the garage. It's pretty clean, nothing suspect in the engine bay. Sound of it running is like a clock. You can barely smell anything from the exhaust - strange observation I know - but the thing is still running like a clock. We've come to the conclusion that 'Toyota wouldn't put a BMW engine in their badged cars if they weren't confident that it'd live up to their quality expectations'... hope that proves to be correct.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SB1500 said:

so, got the EGR cooler recall done. Very impressed with the speed of the Toyota dealer, they had it ready for 12 the next day. I asked them to check the door that had to be manually unlocked each time before getting out of the car, they replaced that part under warranty.  They also replaced the handbrake actuator which was way too noisy! It's not silent unless you listen out for it, same as the Merc I had noise wise. That's all nice.

Also got them to do the brake fluid and coolant while it was down there, £125 lighter but that's the messy hassle jobs done. All that I'll do is oil and filters now in the coming months. Thinking of ordering 'MANN-FILTER' parts, used them on the DS3 and they do things like the fancy cabin filter with the 'anti fumes' and 'anti bacterial' coatings too.

Can anybody tell me how replacing the diesel fuel filter goes on these? On the DS3 it was just disconnect the lines into it, twist off the top of the cannister, put the new one in and let it sort itself out with its own bleeding valve / process and job was a goodn' (after the messy loss of diesel which was my fault).  Same kind of process on the BMW / 1WW engine? 

Took a good look at the car last night in the garage. It's pretty clean, nothing suspect in the engine bay. Sound of it running is like a clock. You can barely smell anything from the exhaust - strange observation I know - but the thing is still running like a clock. We've come to the conclusion that 'Toyota wouldn't put a BMW engine in their badged cars if they weren't confident that it'd live up to their quality expectations'... hope that proves to be correct.

tbh id go for genuine toyota parts but suppose the engine in yours is bmw so guessing maybe go for genuine bmw parts.i put a nice set of heavy duty rubber car floor mats fitted for my car there a great job as i had ones on my last car were great. plus i got one of those heavy duty car boot ones that come up at the sides its great also encase you have a spill as wont go into the car boot itself those are a couple good buys for you boss keep the car in good nick. plus i bought those car wind deflectors for the front and rear windows i love those things as keeps the water from coming in if want air in around the car 

On 1/28/2022 at 6:58 PM, 2009joe said:

tbh id go for genuine toyota parts but suppose the engine in yours is bmw so guessing maybe go for genuine bmw parts.i put a nice set of heavy duty rubber car floor mats fitted for my car there a great job as i had ones on my last car were great. plus i got one of those heavy duty car boot ones that come up at the sides its great also encase you have a spill as wont go into the car boot itself those are a couple good buys for you boss keep the car in good nick. plus i bought those car wind deflectors for the front and rear windows i love those things as keeps the water from coming in if want air in around the car 

That's true! well, Toyota will still produce the Toyota box genuine parts even for the 1WW (BMW N47) engine - probs will go for those in case I stumble on to a part where perhaps Toyota have made modifications. No doubt the BMW stamp would add £££s for the same parts anyway lol

Got a link for the rubber mats? Would be a great idea. Planning to go bring in the carpet ones today and give them a good deep clean.

The car doesn't have a bad smell as such (no damp or anything like that that I'd be worried about), but bit of a bland old smell of it sitting around for a few months I think.  I've added one of those Neutradol jelly like things with the peel off sticker, that got it smelling a nice clean / fresh smell (if not a tad intense) but that has calmed down and the old stale smell is shining through. I did one of those Turtle Wax arctic blast AC fresheners the other night, and the car is smelling very intensely like that (which is fine) but again that stale old smell is coming back. 

Thinking of deep cleaning the carpets and upholstery just to get everything deep-cleaned and I'd imagine that'll take care of the smell. 

• Like 1

Hi - My Auris has the same 1.6 BMW diesel engine as your Avensis.  I've read your comments about the fuel filter, which interests me, as although my car's had it's 10k services by Mr T, I wanted to check myself that the fuel filter had been checked/drained of water, as my handbook specifically says this should be done at 12,000 mile intervals (despite 10,000 mile Toyota service intervals - perhaps a throw-back from BMW requirements?).  On the Auris, the fuel filter's behind the air filter, so not so easily accessible, so I'm waiting for warmer weather.  My handbook also says this should be done by "any authorised dealer etc".  I'm expecting there to be a drain plug underneath, but there's no obvious rubber button on top to pump the fuel through when the drain's open.  Alternative is that the fuel line has a lift pump between tank and filter, needing to be energised by switching the ignition on as part of the procedure.  So, I'll be interested in anything you discover 🙂

Martin

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Notoyboy said:

Hi - My Auris has the same 1.6 BMW diesel engine as your Avensis.  I've read your comments about the fuel filter, which interests me, as although my car's had it's 10k services by Mr T, I wanted to check myself that the fuel filter had been checked/drained of water, as my handbook specifically says this should be done at 12,000 mile intervals (despite 10,000 mile Toyota service intervals - perhaps a throw-back from BMW requirements?).  On the Auris, the fuel filter's behind the air filter, so not so easily accessible, so I'm waiting for warmer weather.  My handbook also says this should be done by "any authorised dealer etc".  I'm expecting there to be a drain plug underneath, but there's no obvious rubber button on top to pump the fuel through when the drain's open.  Alternative is that the fuel line has a lift pump between tank and filter, needing to be energised by switching the ignition on as part of the procedure.  So, I'll be interested in anything you discover 🙂

Martin

Hi, if you check out this product (Avensis / 1.6 1WW fuel filter) on MAHLE's website. It is a compatible part, interestingly, only shows Toyota as a compatible manufacturer (have they changed this from the BMW part?).

There are a few instructional PDFs on there, I have not read them properly, but will return to this when the time comes. I notice MANN-FILTER (who I used for the DS BlueHDI fuel filter) doesn't offer a part for this engine... They had much better fitting instructions.

I am tempted to call the dealer and ask exactly what this could mean. I keep finding BMW forum posts regarding water in the diesel but nothing of any use..  One person said it is physically impossible for water to be present in diesel fuel.. others say it can form due to the heat change / condensation or the use of somek kind of car system 'fuel heater' which comes on in some situations / conditions.  Another person stated it was typical BMW over-engineering with no real purpose other than to cost more at servicing.

But it is confusing as I would like to ensure I do the filter change correctly, and on my own along with the other filters around June time.

Also keen for anyone who has done this to share their experience

https://web.tecalliance.net/mahle-catalog/en/parts/cars/part/287/KL%20829D/detail?targetId=113326&typeNumber=113326&groups=9#@brc/brands:Car;targetType:cars/assem:TOYOTA%20AVENSIS%20Saloon%20(_T27_)%201.6%20D4-D%20(WWT270_);targetType:cars;targetId:113326;typeNumber:113326/lnkparts:Fuel%20Filter;targetType:cars;assemblyGroupId:100261;targetId:113326;typeNumber:113326;groups:9;page:0/assignedPartDetail:KL%20829D;targetType:cars;brandId:287;articleNo:KL%2520829D;targetId:113326;typeNumber:113326;groups:9

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SB1500 said:

Hi, if you check out this product (Avensis / 1.6 1WW fuel filter) on MAHLE's website.

Thanks for the Mahle reference - useful.  I see it shows a large knurled knob underneath the filter canister, which must be the drain.  My service schedule shows "inspection" of the filter at each service (which I presume means to check the drain), and to replace the filter every 40k or 6 years.  Not sure I'll bother replacing the filter, but depends partly whether any water is drained off. 

I ran 2 Citroens with Peugot diesel engines in the past, clocking 270k over 23 years, and don't remember ever changing the fuel filter.  Of course, modern fuel injection pumps operate at much higher pressures, so clean fuel has become more important.  Diesel can contain some water in suspension, and we are now blessed with biodiesel, and alas, biodiesel can hold 10 x the amount of water that non-bio could contain.  Diesel held in metal tanks can certainly collect moisture from the internal condensation, the more so in the colder months, but I imagine modern fuel tanks are all made of some type of plastic.  Not sure if that affects the amount of condensation.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Notoyboy said:

Thanks for the Mahle reference - useful.  I see it shows a large knurled knob underneath the filter canister, which must be the drain.  My service schedule shows "inspection" of the filter at each service (which I presume means to check the drain), and to replace the filter every 40k or 6 years.  Not sure I'll bother replacing the filter, but depends partly whether any water is drained off. 

I ran 2 Citroens with Peugot diesel engines in the past, clocking 270k over 23 years, and don't remember ever changing the fuel filter.  Of course, modern fuel injection pumps operate at much higher pressures, so clean fuel has become more important.  Diesel can contain some water in suspension, and we are now blessed with biodiesel, and alas, biodiesel can hold 10 x the amount of water that non-bio could contain.  Diesel held in metal tanks can certainly collect moisture from the internal condensation, the more so in the colder months, but I imagine modern fuel tanks are all made of some type of plastic.  Not sure if that affects the amount of condensation.

Good to know. I won't know until I approach the task myself, but could the drain really be as easy as twisting something and letting it drain until it looks obvious that water has turned into diesel and then to tighten the valve again?  If so, maybe I'll do that at each service then change the filter every 20k miles. 

To be honest, on the DS3 / BlueHDI 120 I was changing it once a year / around every 15-20k miles. I think I'll do the same on the Toyota.

As Scotty Kilmer says, filters / oil / etc are cheap... engines... pumps and such are not! lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

but could the drain really be as easy as twisting something and letting it drain

Yes.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, another couple of weeks. Two Sundays ago I took the Avensis into the garage, shut the doors and put the central heating on and got her waxed up.  Washed with some of that Turtle Wax 'extreme' stuff that you can use different concentrations of, I did about 400mls to a 10 litre (the strongest one) to get the old waxes and grime off. I must admit, it came up well.  Then some of that Turtle Wax carnauba wax. With my last car I dabbled in some of those high end products and DIY ceramic jobs but I think to be honest, Turtle Wax is as good as anything. Protects the paint, and does leave it a nice glass smooth finish to the touch.  I think around May time I'll give it another wax. I'd recommend that 'wax it wet' spray wax for doing your door sills and places like that, gives them some kind of protection.

Another job I did was to spray some white grease on to the hinges... bit messy really, maybe a tub would be better than a spray.

The license plates were cracked and instead of asking the dealer to replace it with a hideous cheap one with faded printed lettering and their name at the bottom, I ordered some metal pressed plates (legal and all) to put on her. It's a lot more subtle than I thought it would be, but looks clean and won't crack!  £30 delivered online. I'll get some photos up later.

Next job is to get the windows tinted, thinking 20% as I had 5% (really dark) on my black Fiat Panda - was great on a black car but might look silly on silver.

I'm getting around 40mpg on trips to the office and back (6.5 miles city driving) - people tell me that's good, but compared to my DS3 it's not the best. I've been putting £66 a week in. Even on long trips I'm getting just over 50 which is a little disappointing.

This car is phenomenal - the size and comfort are great. But I think I shot myself in the foot, as it uses a lot of fuel. As someone who likes doing a lot of pointless trips, I might have been better going for that A-Class or Auris...  The slowness of the 1.6 doesn't bother me that much. I really, really hope the BMW engine proves reliable. But I don't hear too many stories of 300,000 mile plus Mini diesels or BMW 1 series........

Nothing I can do now , I've got 13k (including the finance interest) left on this car so I'm kind of stuck with it!  It is nice, but the fuel drinking problem - though it's 'good' - is more tha I should have agreed to by moving up to the large saloon segment... lesson learnt.

That's the latest update on my Avensis for anyone who likes to hear about it 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

IMG_4309.thumb.jpeg.046bee87b52540a9f9bd7f4ca5146e11.jpegIMG_4189.thumb.jpeg.89d6f325fdb3f7ac3b4e53fd0358cc91.jpegIMG_4208.thumb.jpeg.5bea22bb786a5c76fe6c7fecd4f9b796.jpeg

Images as promised...  Metal stamped license plates.... pre-waxing in the garage... this morning in the snow (disappointingly the snow wiped off in one go...really wanted to test how quickly it went from snowed in to ready to go) lol 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

IMG_4309.thumb.jpeg.046bee87b52540a9f9bd7f4ca5146e11.jpegIMG_4189.thumb.jpeg.89d6f325fdb3f7ac3b4e53fd0358cc91.jpegIMG_4208.thumb.jpeg.5bea22bb786a5c76fe6c7fecd4f9b796.jpeg

Images as promised...  Metal stamped license plates.... pre-waxing in the garage... this morning in the snow (disappointingly the snow wiped off in one go...really wanted to test how quickly it went from snowed in to ready to go) lol 

my car has a english reg 2 i was half intrested in buying plates online or ni reg plates i havent decided yet so thats why my plates are still those cheap plastic ones still look good but never less got english reg 

2 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

my car has a english reg 2 i was half intrested in buying plates online or ni reg plates i havent decided yet so thats why my plates are still those cheap plastic ones still look good but never less got english reg 

I was going to surrender the GB plates but I thought since we're about to get sold down the river from the UK I wanted to hold on to my good old GB plates!!! Plus the latest NI three letter prefix for Londonderry didn't sound good.   

Just decided to send off for them. Plus the plates on it were far too low. 

That reminds me... there's rust around the factory holes on the boot lid for the reg plate. No idea how, going to bring it up with Toyota and have it sorted under warranty though. Anybody else had this? The car is too new imo to be having issues like that 

8 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

I was going to surrender the GB plates but I thought since we're about to get sold down the river from the UK I wanted to hold on to my good old GB plates!!! Plus the latest NI three letter prefix for Londonderry didn't sound good.   

Just decided to send off for them. Plus the plates on it were far too low. 

That reminds me... there's rust around the factory holes on the boot lid for the reg plate. No idea how, going to bring it up with Toyota and have it sorted under warranty though. Anybody else had this? The car is too new imo to be having issues like that 

there stuff out there called krust its great as tbh when i bought my car the idiot screwed the newish fancier plated to the car right threw the boot tin 😞 was not happy with that one bit should have kept on the englush ordinary **** ones so i clarried the hole in my boot with krust so hope it dont get worst 

Just now, 2009joe said:

there stuff out there called krust its great as tbh when i bought my car the idiot screwed the newish fancier plated to the car right threw the boot tin 😞 was not happy with that one bit should have kept on the englush ordinary **** ones so i clarried the hole in my boot with krust so hope it dont get worst 

I've used Kurust before that is good stuff alright, rust convertor.  But for now, it's Toyota's problem.  They ignored me telling them to fix the wing mirrors too, told me 'push it in and out manually from time to time and it'll work', and yeah,  it does once pushed but that kind of defeats the purpose! lol   

I'm surprised that this car has had some corrosion, needed the handbrake actuator and door locks fixed so far being so new. Only thing I can think is it had a rough life as a lease car, but who knows 

9 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

I've used Kurust before that is good stuff alright, rust convertor.  But for now, it's Toyota's problem.  They ignored me telling them to fix the wing mirrors too, told me 'push it in and out manually from time to time and it'll work', and yeah,  it does once pushed but that kind of defeats the purpose! lol   

I'm surprised that this car has had some corrosion, needed the handbrake actuator and door locks fixed so far being so new. Only thing I can think is it had a rough life as a lease car, but who knows 

aye those small things would get to me to make me want to sell it on .i sen a few toyota avensis online about my age and more miles for 500 quid more that what i paid and i have mine over a  year now i paid 8gs for it with 38k on the clock toyota services all its life .

I think my car was pretty cheap for what it is. But people don't seem to be interested in them. Big saloons in general on a decline. Fuel prices going up. Tax through the roof (mines 155).  Toyota fans don't like the BMW engine and reject them.  BMW / German car fans would never give up the vanity or superficial benefits of their cars for something like reliability at the cost of the cool looks and sound proofing and chrome air vent rings etc lol  I think that's why they're so cheap 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SB1500 said:

I think my car was pretty cheap for what it is. But people don't seem to be interested in them. Big saloons in general on a decline. Fuel prices going up. Tax through the roof (mines 155).  Toyota fans don't like the BMW engine and reject them.  BMW / German car fans would never give up the vanity or superficial benefits of their cars for something like reliability at the cost of the cool looks and sound proofing and chrome air vent rings etc lol  I think that's why they're so cheap 

Tbh it's a fine big comfortable car and have 2 admit. There plenty around taxi driver using them so in fairness they must be a great going dependable car for loads of people 2 move around like family's etc.still rather sit in a avensis on long trips as it's a great car for long travels .just that BMW engine I'd be worried. About like that dam dpf on my car I'm not sure how that will fair out could cause other problems that's why going 2 buy a autel 808 plus so can force the dpf into regen as I don't know if it's working or not with my short journey I do 

15 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

Tbh it's a fine big comfortable car and have 2 admit. There plenty around taxi driver using them so in fairness they must be a great going dependable car for loads of people 2 move around like family's etc.still rather sit in a avensis on long trips as it's a great car for long travels .just that BMW engine I'd be worried. About like that dam dpf on my car I'm not sure how that will fair out could cause other problems that's why going 2 buy a autel 808 plus so can force the dpf into regen as I don't know if it's working or not with my short journey I do 

Get her on that motorway to Ballymena and put your foot down once a month, that’ll keep the DPF happy. If the old 1.4 D4D in my aunties old Yaris was anything to go by, the DPF can be kept happy easily enough. Long as you’ve had all the updates at the dealer 

• Like 2

Update 23 FEB 2022

I posted about the MPG being bad, maybe not bad for the size of the car, but a lot more than I expected... I listed the car on AutoTrader (for the amount I'd need back to not take a loss ~£12,200). It's unlikely I'll get that for it, if I did then I could think about it...  I researched my other options. If it did sell, I'd probably get a 19k loan and buy one hell of a car (autmoatic, heated seats, keyless entry and the works) - either a Corolla if I could, or an Auris Hybrid with the works. Or I'm even contemplating the cheapest of the latest A-Class Mercedes as I'm quite sold on them (though I'd not get one as nice as the CLA I had with the lit up dash and all that - those are 27k presently here in the NI used car market).  It probably won't sell, but those are what I'd consider - downsizes but massive increase in cost, with the intention of keeping it til it drops.

I'd not be unhappy if it stays. It's a beautiful car in my opinion, and other than the fuel it's drinking, I love it. It's comfortable, smooth, I nickname it the flying carpet!  Other than MPG (and I suppose the fact it's got the allegedly troublesome BMW engine inside), it's perfect.

I ordered a genuine Toyota Parts Service Kit for £94.99 on that eHybrid site. They post to NI (and not even with an additional cost). I think the BMW engine and all of the special care it needs just for an increased likelihood it might last as long as real Toyota engine, means that I'll spend on the geunine oil though in the past I'd go for Castrol stuff.  Pretty much, if it's going to blow up in 3 years time like the horror stories, I can turn around to Toyota and show them all the invoices where I bought absolutely nothing but genuine Toyota parts including the oil and serviced it twice as much as they recommend. Ideally, that doesn't happen, but I think I'd regret more if I didn't go the extra mile and it happened, thinking what if?

Looking forward to getting the parts and doing a service. She's been steaming up in the really wet weather we've been having and freezing mornings way too easily, in fact, you need AC on for it to go away. Tell tale sign of a clogged or done cabin filter..   The engine air filter, can't imagine will make too much noticeable difference to anything such as MPG and all... but good to know it'll be done with a quality part.  I don't know when the car was last truly serviced and if they used Toyota parts, there was no history with it. Other than the first service, there is nothing since from Toyota. One invoice from some random garage in Dorset... and I doubt they used proper oil or parts frankly.  I think it's a young fresh enough running like a clock engine in that it's still worth trying to preserve the newness with quality parts.

People say reputable parts like Bosch and Brembo for example, are just as good as genine.. but are they? I don't think so. Toyota have all these special coatings over parts of the discs, extra pad behind the pads etc. In my experience, Bosch and Brembo discs and pads for example just don't have this. I'm sure they're still 'good enough' yeah, but it's not like you get nothing by paying more for the Toyota parts.. I'm more sold on them than I was in the past anyway.

Either this weekend or next I'm going to take it on a coastal drive all the way around the top of Northern Ireland, and then back on the main roads.. if that doesn't blow the cobwebs out from short weekday journeys I don't know what will!

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SB1500 said:

Update 23 FEB 2022

I posted about the MPG being bad, maybe not bad for the size of the car, but a lot more than I expected... I listed the car on AutoTrader (for the amount I'd need back to not take a loss ~£12,200). It's unlikely I'll get that for it, if I did then I could think about it...  I researched my other options. If it did sell, I'd probably get a 19k loan and buy one hell of a car (autmoatic, heated seats, keyless entry and the works) - either a Corolla if I could, or an Auris Hybrid with the works. Or I'm even contemplating the cheapest of the latest A-Class Mercedes as I'm quite sold on them (though I'd not get one as nice as the CLA I had with the lit up dash and all that - those are 27k presently here in the NI used car market).  It probably won't sell, but those are what I'd consider - downsizes but massive increase in cost, with the intention of keeping it til it drops.

I'd not be unhappy if it stays. It's a beautiful car in my opinion, and other than the fuel it's drinking, I love it. It's comfortable, smooth, I nickname it the flying carpet!  Other than MPG (and I suppose the fact it's got the allegedly troublesome BMW engine inside), it's perfect.

I ordered a genuine Toyota Parts Service Kit for £94.99 on that eHybrid site. They post to NI (and not even with an additional cost). I think the BMW engine and all of the special care it needs just for an increased likelihood it might last as long as real Toyota engine, means that I'll spend on the geunine oil though in the past I'd go for Castrol stuff.  Pretty much, if it's going to blow up in 3 years time like the horror stories, I can turn around to Toyota and show them all the invoices where I bought absolutely nothing but genuine Toyota parts including the oil and serviced it twice as much as they recommend. Ideally, that doesn't happen, but I think I'd regret more if I didn't go the extra mile and it happened, thinking what if?

Looking forward to getting the parts and doing a service. She's been steaming up in the really wet weather we've been having and freezing mornings way too easily, in fact, you need AC on for it to go away. Tell tale sign of a clogged or done cabin filter..   The engine air filter, can't imagine will make too much noticeable difference to anything such as MPG and all... but good to know it'll be done with a quality part.  I don't know when the car was last truly serviced and if they used Toyota parts, there was no history with it. Other than the first service, there is nothing since from Toyota. One invoice from some random garage in Dorset... and I doubt they used proper oil or parts frankly.  I think it's a young fresh enough running like a clock engine in that it's still worth trying to preserve the newness with quality parts.

People say reputable parts like Bosch and Brembo for example, are just as good as genine.. but are they? I don't think so. Toyota have all these special coatings over parts of the discs, extra pad behind the pads etc. In my experience, Bosch and Brembo discs and pads for example just don't have this. I'm sure they're still 'good enough' yeah, but it's not like you get nothing by paying more for the Toyota parts.. I'm more sold on them than I was in the past anyway.

Either this weekend or next I'm going to take it on a coastal drive all the way around the top of Northern Ireland, and then back on the main roads.. if that doesn't blow the cobwebs out from short weekday journeys I don't know what will!

do u notice when your dpf comes on my buddy in his vw group car 2.0tdi engine he knows when hid dpf dose his regen and when he hears it he floggs the fk out of it for a while to he thinks the regen process is over saying that he never has any problems with his dpf. on my car i wouldnt even know when the dpf regen comes on the car sounds the same .thats why going to but a new autel scanner that dose dpf then going to take the car for a right good rip then when come home going to do the autel def regen cycle 

Well the Avensis is the last of the luxury Toyotas so just consider what you loose in mpg you gain in comfort.

Like, sure my Mk4 Yaris gets stupidly high mpgs, but I'm deaf after a long motorway run and I have to use a wadded up towel to stop my spine being crippled after any length of journey, so it's not all roses! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Well the Avensis is the last of the luxury Toyotas so just consider what you loose in mpg you gain in comfort.

Like, sure my Mk4 Yaris gets stupidly high mpgs, but I'm deaf after a long motorway run and I have to use a wadded up towel to stop my spine being crippled after any length of journey, so it's not all roses! :laugh: 

suppose you are right each car has there benefits my wife has a small vw car a 1.2 petrol and tbh its 160 quid a year tax  and well tbh i noticed it was just as bad on the juice as my vw group car 1.9tdi .the avensis is a real comfortable car nice and plenty of room but as you say its sore on the old diesel .im in two minds what to do right atm im leaning towards the mpg but on the other hand its hard to beat comfort 

28 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

suppose you are right each car has there benefits my wife has a small vw car a 1.2 petrol and tbh its 160 quid a year tax  and well tbh i noticed it was just as bad on the juice as my vw group car 1.9tdi .the avensis is a real comfortable car nice and plenty of room but as you say its sore on the old diesel .im in two minds what to do right atm im leaning towards the mpg but on the other hand its hard to beat comfort 

Comfort wins! I have a 2015 Auris Hybrid Icon + estate with 39k on the clock but for comfort can't beat my 1996 Volvo 940 estate. I sink into the heated full grey leather and like wafting along with the automatic gearbox doing it's thing in comfort. The visibility is brilliant. MPG not! Around 25mpg. Tax £280 for the year. 206,000miles

Auris Hybrid an A to B car. Zero tax as pre April 2017. 53mpg  atm, around 60+ in summer. I do quite a few journeys of 1-7 mile so overall not great mpg on short journeys. Comfort OK but only driven in it for 90 minutes so no long drives yet. 

James👍

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Auris James said:

Comfort wins! I have a 2015 Auris Hybrid Icon + estate with 39k on the clock but for comfort can't beat my 1996 Volvo 940 estate. I sink into the heated full grey leather and like wafting along with the automatic gearbox doing it's thing in comfort. The visibility is brilliant. MPG not! Around 25mpg. Tax £280 for the year. 206,000miles

Auris Hybrid an A to B car. Zero tax as pre April 2017. 53mpg  atm, around 60+ in summer. I do quite a few journeys of 1-7 mile so overall not great mpg on short journeys. Comfort OK but only driven in it for 90 minutes so no long drives yet. 

James👍

The only cars with great mpg on short journeys are the full electric cars and they actually are only suitable for this purpose, even the one with big batteries that weights few tons. 🔋 No arguments with ev car owners, happen to have one in the family and tbh it’s a great car but when you drive a bit and in town mostly. 
For people who cover short journeys mostly, can’t afford or does not want to buy and own an Ev best alternative are small petrol engine cars  like Aygo or Yaris hybrid can do it too, these engines warm up quickly and cool down quickly, drives nice and remain efficient in that sort of driving, where diesels are full stop unless you travel 50+ miles a day, and even so a larger 1.8-2.0 Toyota hybrids can match diesel efficiency. 👍 Diesel engines exclusively for pick ups, lorries, heavy machinery. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links