Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just bought an Avensis!

SB1500

Just an update on how the Avensis is going. Though I've debated trading it for a Mercedes or Lexus a few times, the most sane and best all around option is to stick with the Avensis.

Just ordered a genuine Toyota oil for 1WW and filter kit - this time from 'BurrowsGPS' on Amazon - so I hope the most skeptical of folks on here might believe it's genuine this time. I plan to compare the two small 1L bottles to see if the kit I got in January from eHybrid really was genuine or not. Their website seems to not function right anymore, and their longer established eBay store still has the 1WW/2WW service kit but now 'Doesn't post to Northern Ireland' nor reply to any messages... sad times. £95 was a steal for all the filters too. 

Also ordered the genuine mud flaps for the car from Toyota's official Amazon store, each set (front and back) was reduced from like £30-something to £17 each. Hopefully they make a difference to the dirtiness of the bumper and sills?  They look a funny shape but... 'g e n u i n e' haha

The replacement lights came for my ambient lighting mod as well so going to fit them this week. A lot of the door handle trims are really scored from all the removing and refitting so I'm looking for one of those.

The window tints I had done and re-done locally are a disaster, on a hot warm day they have bubbles. I recommend if you plan to pay someone to do them that they do it in a warehouse / industrial estate unit versus their garden as the dust seems to be impossible to avoid otherwise. The guy who I got to do it was sound and knew his stuff but outside of a professional environment there's no way I can see this being done to a good standard. I'll peel and get them redone next year sometime. £140 down the drain there.

The dent I had and got repaired as well, the door was a bit off so I sent it back to get sorted. 5 minutes later it was sorted. But my car also has a door colour mismatch now and I'm not going to lie, it really ruins my pride in the car. I watched back the footage of the Dashcam when the guys fixed the door there and they had some utterly brutal (kind of funny but also real) comments about me and the car. No such thing as a professional these days.  Doubt they'd take me on about the colour shade mismatch as they thought I was out of line asking them to straighten the door! 

Then there's the windscreen, still trying to get that sorted. The insurance company understand and they're trying to get it sorted with Autoglass who have totally washed their hands of my complaint. For genuine glass, fitted elsewhere and a new dashboard too as there are permanent imprints on my dash from the windscreen alignment process. Surprisingly, my insurer said the damage there was 'clear as day' as opposed to what I expected which was them to try and minimise the significance of it. Fingers crossed they sort it.  

You know what's wrong where I am? Everything is too small and closeknit. You look for a bodyshop or something, and you find all the positive reviews are employees / relatives of the owners. There isn't enough competition to drive proper performance based contract-winning from insurers or manufacturers at all. Tends to be one big guy unchallenged for the most part or only a few places big enough, or with the right tech to do things. Where I live is a place not that well known for anything as such, and that's the case right down to trying to get your car sorted. It's a real shame to be honest. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, SB1500 said:

Just an update on how the Avensis is going. Though I've debated trading it for a Mercedes or Lexus a few times, the most sane and best all around option is to stick with the Avensis.

Just ordered a genuine Toyota oil for 1WW and filter kit - this time from 'BurrowsGPS' on Amazon - so I hope the most skeptical of folks on here might believe it's genuine this time. I plan to compare the two small 1L bottles to see if the kit I got in January from eHybrid really was genuine or not. Their website seems to not function right anymore, and their longer established eBay store still has the 1WW/2WW service kit but now 'Doesn't post to Northern Ireland' nor reply to any messages... sad times. £95 was a steal for all the filters too. 

Also ordered the genuine mud flaps for the car from Toyota's official Amazon store, each set (front and back) was reduced from like £30-something to £17 each. Hopefully they make a difference to the dirtiness of the bumper and sills?  They look a funny shape but... 'g e n u i n e' haha

The replacement lights came for my ambient lighting mod as well so going to fit them this week. A lot of the door handle trims are really scored from all the removing and refitting so I'm looking for one of those.

The window tints I had done and re-done locally are a disaster, on a hot warm day they have bubbles. I recommend if you plan to pay someone to do them that they do it in a warehouse / industrial estate unit versus their garden as the dust seems to be impossible to avoid otherwise. The guy who I got to do it was sound and knew his stuff but outside of a professional environment there's no way I can see this being done to a good standard. I'll peel and get them redone next year sometime. £140 down the drain there.

The dent I had and got repaired as well, the door was a bit off so I sent it back to get sorted. 5 minutes later it was sorted. But my car also has a door colour mismatch now and I'm not going to lie, it really ruins my pride in the car. I watched back the footage of the dashcam when the guys fixed the door there and they had some utterly brutal (kind of funny but also real) comments about me and the car. No such thing as a professional these days.  Doubt they'd take me on about the colour shade mismatch as they thought I was out of line asking them to straighten the door! 

Then there's the windscreen, still trying to get that sorted. The insurance company understand and they're trying to get it sorted with Autoglass who have totally washed their hands of my complaint. For genuine glass, fitted elsewhere and a new dashboard too as there are permanent imprints on my dash from the windscreen alignment process. Surprisingly, my insurer said the damage there was 'clear as day' as opposed to what I expected which was them to try and minimise the significance of it. Fingers crossed they sort it.  

You know what's wrong where I am? Everything is too small and closeknit. You look for a bodyshop or something, and you find all the positive reviews are employees / relatives of the owners. There isn't enough competition to drive proper performance based contract-winning from insurers or manufacturers at all. Tends to be one big guy unchallenged for the most part or only a few places big enough, or with the right tech to do things. Where I live is a place not that well known for anything as such, and that's the case right down to trying to get your car sorted. It's a real shame to be honest. 

hi shane my good friend long time no hear its been a while im busy myself. aye not good about the colour not matching .i got one of those which loks genuine when its not boot spoiler for my t27 which looks well and the guy who painted it .by god he did a great job the colour matches great you wouldnt even notic no difference .more than i can say about my rear bumper but im not sure just toyota themselves couldnt get that right its a wee dit different but sure i got the car with 38k so couldnt been in much of a rear end bump. plus there was already pain chip on my rear bumper as i noticed it and well was small then a wee crack in the pain in middle bumper. tbh i dont care anyways do rightly lol ate hard to beat the genuien oil funny thats where i got my oil was Burrows own site .i bought 2 of those jars 5l 

https://www.burrowscarparts.co.uk/5-litre-toyota-5w30-pfe-fully-synthetic-motor-oil-08880-83389.html

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SB1500 said:

The dent I had and got repaired as well, the door was a bit off so I sent it back to get sorted. 5 minutes later it was sorted. But my car also has a door colour mismatch now and I'm not going to lie, it really ruins my pride in the car. I watched back the footage of the dashcam when the guys fixed the door there and they had some utterly brutal (kind of funny but also real) comments about me and the car. No such thing as a professional these days.  Doubt they'd take me on about the colour shade mismatch as they thought I was out of line asking them to straighten the door! 

Hi Shane, 

I know I am your most sceptical friend here, but I found so much similarities between both of us. We both want to have the perfect cars right. Nothing wrong with it but it seems these days it’s almost missions impossible to have clean genuine car. Most trades are rip off, parts, service, repairs, glass replacement, insurance, pretty much everything. The eHybrid guy is trading under new name, same address, same parts.  You might had real one back then, but I knew him and I personally wouldn’t touch even a real parts from him. I never wanted to make you upset about the parts, I just wanted to warn you and others for eventual issues. Anyone looking for oem parts , just look from Toyota or official Toyota dealer, that’s the safer way.
For the windscreen, it seems this Pilkington from auto glass it’s not as good as the oem windscreen. Some idiot driver as always they do cut in on front of me and for my bad luck he sent a stone straight into my new window, results two little stone chips, they might turn into a crack, £90 window excess down the drain, and this time the fitter probably will fit the screen 2cm above the car frame 🫢 For the windows tint, the reason I went for the tailored blinds instead of tint was exactly that , I did not wanted to risk any poor quality tinting as I knew would have drive me mad. 
Good luck and hopefully all sorted for you. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/12/2022 at 9:12 AM, TonyHSD said:

Hi Shane, 

I know I am your most sceptical friend here, but I found so much similarities between both of us. We both want to have the perfect cars right. Nothing wrong with it but it seems these days it’s almost missions impossible to have clean genuine car. Most trades are rip off, parts, service, repairs, glass replacement, insurance, pretty much everything.

That's so true. I thought originally it was because of my older, less 'good looking' cars people thought I wouldn't care about the job done, so long as it was done.  But seems to be the case with any and every car. It's sad, but I suppose to some extent, part of life and having to accept. It's a shame though as I reckon if I had the Toyota glass, I could fit it myself with a lot of time and care - cleaning off the old seal and stuff and using little things to align the edges, but there's not a hope in hell I'd get those sensors aligned right or even know what I'm dealing with really, and they'd be big money to screw up.

The eHybrid guy is trading under new name, same address, same parts.  You might had real one back then, but I knew him and I personally wouldn’t touch even a real parts from him. I never wanted to make you upset about the parts, I just wanted to warn you and others for eventual issues. Anyone looking for oem parts , just look from Toyota or official Toyota dealer, that’s the safer way.

I remember your post, and I do appreciate it. It definitely was too good to be true in my mind so to hear your thoughts (even if they weren't what I'd ideally want to know) was appreciated.  When I bought my brake parts I wanted genuine and got them from Toyota on eBay, I was surprised to find my local dealer was the very same price so I decided I'd use them over the official eBay store to be safe as you say, zero doubts then.  But the other week I rang up, the parts guy was off on leave, nobody rang back so I went for Amazon. £90 for 6L and the filter seems good.  I've got them now as of yesterday, it's from Burrows GPS on Amazon, is that a main dealer as I suspect?  Trustworthy enough?

The guy was a little shady like, on one hand he rang me back to reassure me and all, but any questions I've had since about parts etc he's either read and not replied or ignored and then I saw the websites in a pretty poor state and the listings on eBay won't post to NI, but it's all good. Even if I get all the genuine service parts for £150 or so, still alright really since I fit them myself I won't be that out of pocket. 

I appreciate all your responses Tony, thanks! 

For the windscreen, it seems this Pilkington from auto glass it’s not as good as the oem windscreen. Some idiot driver as always they do cut in on front of me and for my bad luck he sent a stone straight into my new window, results two little stone chips, they might turn into a crack, £90 window excess down the drain, and this time the fitter probably will fit the screen 2cm above the car frame 🫢

Autoglass and Axa have now agreed to source me some Pilkington glass but they want to be the ones to fit it. The dashboard is still being looked into and will be agreed on before they redo the glass, I'm not sure whether or not to live with that, as I'm unsure how well even Toyota at the dealer can replace something like that without rattles or loose parts compared to factory. Plus my ambient lights too, they won't bother to work around that (fair enough). 

People said to me if I did go out of pocket for the good glass, a week later another stone chip could crack it beyond repair so it's a bad idea no matter how perfect I want it. I put some of the genuine mud flaps on the other day, hopefully my car won't be the cause of stone chips for others now!  

For the windows tint, the reason I went for the tailored blinds instead of tint was exactly that , I did not wanted to risk any poor quality tinting as I knew would have drive me mad. 
Good luck and hopefully all sorted for you. 👍

Yeah, you know the blinds might be a good shout. When I got my 5% tints done initially I felt it transferred my Avensis from looking like a rather (still nice) but plain big saloon made for no frills, to the same thing but with a little dash of class!  Mostly I like that people can't see right through the car as when I sit in traffic I think it's terrible how much I can see the people in the car in front messing around or whatever lol  Some cars worse than others. But I think the Avensis is pretty green-house like without the tints. I was definitely going to get them redone, but maybe the shades are the best idea. Did you get the genuines or from that company that makes them tailored for any car? Heard good things about those back on the Fiat Forum. Can you see right through from another car when they're on?

• Like 3

On 10/11/2022 at 11:35 PM, 2009joe said:

hi shane my good friend long time no hear its been a while im busy myself. aye not good about the colour not matching .i got one of those which loks genuine when its not boot spoiler for my t27 which looks well and the guy who painted it .by god he did a great job the colour matches great you wouldnt even notic no difference .more than i can say about my rear bumper but im not sure just toyota themselves couldnt get that right its a wee dit different but sure i got the car with 38k so couldnt been in much of a rear end bump. plus there was already pain chip on my rear bumper as i noticed it and well was small then a wee crack in the pain in middle bumper. tbh i dont care anyways do rightly lol ate hard to beat the genuien oil funny thats where i got my oil was Burrows own site .i bought 2 of those jars 5l 

https://www.burrowscarparts.co.uk/5-litre-toyota-5w30-pfe-fully-synthetic-motor-oil-08880-83389.html

Wish I had him paint my doors! They slightly mismatch since the repair but not enough to kick up a fuss and would probs still need a big repainting job to put right, which maybe arguably couldn't be guaranteed first time. 

And glad you've used them!  I got mine on Amazon £90 with filter. 

My car had one edge / side of the back bumper clearly repainted (looks bubbling but not too noticeable). Ex lease so probably a make shift repair to do the job.  When I fit the mudflaps this week, that corner didn't fit as well / naturally due to the repair, big flexible plastic bumper must be secured slightly wrong. But it's one of those things probably only I'll ever notice (same with the paint thing above)

• Like 1

How the genuine Toyota mudflaps look. Usually £36 per axle but £17 atm on Amazon, so £36 all in - not bad.  

Hint: take off your wheels or you'll spend like 2 hours doing a 45 min job.  

And I damaged a clip on the front wheel arch, a rubber grommet kind. New one is in the post, but on the opposite side I screwed the supplied bolt through it... it's surprisingly secure and I'm 50% convinced this was what I was supposed to do. If anyone can confirm or deny that though I've 20 new grommet clips on the way to fix it right. 

Apologies, the side profile pic was taken at sundown and the flaps barely visible. Always wondered what they looked like on so sharing it now I've done it 

IMG_0199.thumb.jpeg.7e901384b0ddefa82c2789b2d44b641b.jpegIMG_0197.thumb.jpeg.cf19ebc9ae83e962c56103b726e40c37.jpeg68737542326__BA0A9E2E-EFC5-42EB-9193-4CCCCE7B0124.thumb.jpeg.38280ba8adc6b1984654705bc86cad15.jpegIMG_0195.thumb.jpeg.4617eb7e5dfff88febd57235892b4184.jpeg68737432776__E9EB2767-4273-4572-BC02-881ED7A87192.thumb.jpeg.8f74885e9e1920a6ac3ca79887efd520.jpeg

• Like 2

Looking good with mud flaps. I was thinking of these for mine but they were too expensive. Non original doesn’t look as good and probably won’t do any proper job too.

For the blinds I have from these made in England, somewhere in Northampton I believe. They are very well made and does make a bit dark but not extremely dark. During daytime you can still see from outside but not as much as like if only clear windows. At night especially under street light they make almost impossible anyone to see you in from outside., even if you use torch light against them they simply block the light from outside at night. If you turn on your interior lights then perhaps you may make yourself visible to outside. I do really like these, I had them on previous cars and on the current Toyota since 2017. No signs of wear or deterioration so far. I only wipe clean sometimes and go gently with the soft brush attached to the hoover hose. Only negative is that if you lower the rear windows they remain in place and can’t stretch your hand through. On the positive side is that doing so in hot summer night you can have fresh air in without any insects visit , they can’t get in👌

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SB1500 said:

How the genuine Toyota mudflaps look. Usually £36 per axle but £17 atm on Amazon, so £36 all in - not bad.  

And I damaged a clip on the front wheel arch, a rubber grommet kind. New one is in the post, but on the opposite side I screwed the supplied bolt through it... it's surprisingly secure and I'm 50% convinced this was what I was supposed to do. If anyone can confirm or deny that though I've 20 new grommet clips on the way to fix it right. 

Apologies, the side profile pic was taken at sundown and the flaps barely visible. Always wondered what they looked like on so sharing it now I've done it 

IMG_0199.thumb.jpeg.7e901384b0ddefa82c2789b2d44b641b.jpegIMG_0197.thumb.jpeg.cf19ebc9ae83e962c56103b726e40c37.jpeg68737542326__BA0A9E2E-EFC5-42EB-9193-4CCCCE7B0124.thumb.jpeg.38280ba8adc6b1984654705bc86cad15.jpegIMG_0195.thumb.jpeg.4617eb7e5dfff88febd57235892b4184.jpeg68737432776__E9EB2767-4273-4572-BC02-881ED7A87192.thumb.jpeg.8f74885e9e1920a6ac3ca79887efd520.jpeg

the genuine mud flaps look good but for my car i thought was 2 dear so got a molded set universal from eBay there not wild bad looking but tbh think they do rightly .these are the ones i got were £15.98 posted to me 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192218626751

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SB1500 said:

Are these mud flaps that you bought from Amazon:

"How the genuine Toyota mud flaps look."

actually genuine Toyota items and could you supply a link to them please.

Many thanks, Regards, John

On 10/16/2022 at 10:39 AM, JARC1 said:

Are these mud flaps that you bought from Amazon:

"How the genuine Toyota mud flaps look."

actually genuine Toyota items and could you supply a link to them please.

Many thanks, Regards, John

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09TRH132H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087JV5KN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Came from Toyota in boxes and bubblewrap with the Toyota genuine part sticker / part number on them 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

u must have bought the last ones none available.might change mine for original ones tbh mine looks ok but hard to beat original lol 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 2009joe said:

u must have bought the last ones none available.might change mine for original ones tbh mine looks ok but hard to beat original lol 

Yes, shame they are sold.

John

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Short update, end of October... 

LED ambient lights are doing well, but last night the back right door went (no strip, no handle or door bin lights on there - rest all fine). I think it's the control unit on this one. AliExpress people are asking for a video of this - no idea why or what that proves - but hopefully they'll sort it out. Quite enjoy having them. 

Spotted a crack on my wing mirror indicator on the passenger side while washing the car the other week, and noticing it has moisture / water inside it. It's doing no harm, and it works fine for now, but to ensure no electrical issues or letdowns in the future decided to replace it. A quick search online showed one for £93, genuine.  Called down to my local Toyota dealer (D&T), something like £26. Not bad, not bad at all. 

And also, the Avensis has been getting fairly steamed up these days.. no dramatic temperature changes really, still wet and cold as we expect in the UK. But anytime the A/C is off, it's steaming up - pretty much dangerously too visibility wise. You can see the heat blower on auto fighting with the front door windows against the steam, and when it's set to manual, full speed, floor and windscreen mode, forget it - it can't clear at all.  Starting to conclude that the 'genuine service kit' back earlier this year mightn't have been so genuine. I'm under the recommended 12,000 mile interval, and well under the 12 month interval, and they do say cheap filters do the job, but for a fraction of the time / mileage and it seems to be the case here.  Rang up Toyota again, they had it in stock, went and bought it, about £21. Going to fit it tomorrow, but before I do, plenty of photo comparison between the 'genuine' one I fitted this year, and this unquestionably genuine filter from the dealer itself today.  They had a new sign up from Toyota with a list of points, one was 'competitive pricing' and I can't disagree. If that keeps being the case, I'll keep getting my service parts locally from Toyota, failing that, Burrows online. Hopefully that solves the steaming up windows issue as we go into winter / the colder darker months. 

• Like 4

Replaced it today at lunch time. Easily enough. I love how easy everything on the Avensis is to service. It’s all easy access compared to the DS3 and Panda’s. 

the old filter was noticeably dark and had leaves / debris in it. The only difference I could find was how thick and ‘fuzzy ‘looking the writing on the side was of the filters. The dealer bought one has thinner, sharper text. But other than that it’s fairly identical. Even down to the yellowish sides on both filters. 

if the eHybrid one was real, I’m quite disappointed in the Toyota parts. I used MANN-FILTER parts on the DS with the charcoal and anti fungal enhanced layers.  

we’ll see how this one gets on and if it can last until next November before noticeably clogging 

3B55E045-BBFC-4AED-B6C0-5D3F524337EB.jpeg

815C7A57-63CB-4844-9618-DCCBDA082079.jpeg

6369896E-F69B-4591-9B58-B04031E53E50.jpeg

98859EE0-804D-4858-866C-8C85B25FFB28.jpeg

321038B5-A885-4ECD-A5E1-930B760FDAFF.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SB1500 said:

Replaced it today at lunch time. Easily enough. I love how easy everything on the Avensis is to service. It’s all easy access compared to the DS3 and Panda’s. 

the old filter was noticeably dark and had leaves / debris in it. The only difference I could find was how thick and ‘fuzzy ‘looking the writing on the side was of the filters. The dealer bought one has thinner, sharper text. But other than that it’s fairly identical. Even down to the yellowish sides on both filters. 

if the eHybrid one was real, I’m quite disappointed in the Toyota parts. I used MANN-FILTER parts on the DS with the charcoal and anti fungal enhanced layers.  

we’ll see how this one gets on and if it can last until next November before noticeably clogging 

3B55E045-BBFC-4AED-B6C0-5D3F524337EB.jpeg

815C7A57-63CB-4844-9618-DCCBDA082079.jpeg

6369896E-F69B-4591-9B58-B04031E53E50.jpeg

98859EE0-804D-4858-866C-8C85B25FFB28.jpeg

321038B5-A885-4ECD-A5E1-930B760FDAFF.jpeg

hi shand hows things buddy its your good friend here yep funny i notice with my avensis it steems up more so than my last vw group car. my last car i turn on full heat and all is clear easy enough but with this avensis she wild at steaming up windows. but i guess it is what it is. i must check my cabin filter im neaarly sure i changed it and plus not sure when i did though. i go to the same toyota dealer as yourself D&T i picked up new gearbox oil id love to change i think better to change every 50k my car is now 51k on her but i suppose u could get away with 60k then change gearbox oil. i buy genuine toyota oil and filters but if got online god knows if fake or not i bought mine from ur man borrows and got my oil from donnly and taggert 

• Like 1

Unless the cabin filter is soaked wet or completely clogged it will not affect steaming process in your cars. Sometimes a small water leaks from seals can get water or moisture inside the car will steam up the windows especially the windscreen. 
Areas to check for water ingress are boot and specifically the spare wheel well, both front and rear footwells, roof lining behind the sun visors, a pillars, lower seat belt bolt point on the b pillars. , under seats., check after heavy rain👍 
Water usually enters the car boot via rear light clusters seals, or tiny cracks in body panels welding points again on roof or boot door shut upper corners. 
If all checked and sealed properly you should not have any issues with steaming windows and even without AC only with heater fan set at 20C ° and above should be able to clear off any moisture within 5-10 min after you start the car. 
Here another tip: clean properly the windows inside with alcohol or clear water. You can also buy and put in the door card a small dehumidifier like this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANSIO-Dehumidifier-Condensation-Moisture-Dehumidifiers/dp/B015AOGP1S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=26FNE813RF91Q&keywords=dehumidifier%2Bansio&qid=1667393826&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjQxIiwicXNhIjoiMi40NSIsInFzcCI6IjIuMjAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=dehumidifier%2Ban%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-3&th=1

these helps a lot keeping the interior nice and dry when not using the car or when you spent some time in but not keeping the car ON. 
I do change every once every two months in my car, works really well 👍

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 12:58 PM, TonyHSD said:

Unless the cabin filter is soaked wet or completely clogged it will not affect steaming process in your cars. Sometimes a small water leaks from seals can get water or moisture inside the car will steam up the windows especially the windscreen. 
Areas to check for water ingress are boot and specifically the spare wheel well, both front and rear footwells, roof lining behind the sun visors, a pillars, lower seat belt bolt point on the b pillars. , under seats., check after heavy rain👍 
Water usually enters the car boot via rear light clusters seals, or tiny cracks in body panels welding points again on roof or boot door shut upper corners. 
If all checked and sealed properly you should not have any issues with steaming windows and even without AC only with heater fan set at 20C ° and above should be able to clear off any moisture within 5-10 min after you start the car. 
Here another tip: clean properly the windows inside with alcohol or clear water. You can also buy and put in the door card a small dehumidifier like this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANSIO-Dehumidifier-Condensation-Moisture-Dehumidifiers/dp/B015AOGP1S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=26FNE813RF91Q&keywords=dehumidifier%2Bansio&qid=1667393826&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjQxIiwicXNhIjoiMi40NSIsInFzcCI6IjIuMjAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=dehumidifier%2Ban%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-3&th=1

these helps a lot keeping the interior nice and dry when not using the car or when you spent some time in but not keeping the car ON. 
I do change every once every two months in my car, works really well 👍

You know what, I don't know how I forgot, but I bet it's the dodgy job from Autoglass to blame. 

I really appreciate all the advice and things to check, I must do that this week just in case there is more to it 

• Like 2

If you check Toyota Recall checker , you can find the models with EGR cooler recall.

I personally own a 2016 model 1.6 Diesel , got the EGR cooler replaced under the recall programme.

Faced no issues for the last 2 years , happy with the car.

Would love to replace the stereo with android auto unit.

IMG_20210901_184603.jpg

IMG_20220114_113216.jpg

VID_20210901_184945_exported_14131 (1).jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2022 at 10:27 PM, 2009joe said:

Link is now showing two pairs available for each item.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, patientbear said:

If you check Toyota Recall checker , you can find the models with EGR cooler recall.

I personally own a 2016 model 1.6 Diesel , got the EGR cooler replaced under the recall programme.

IMG_20210901_184603.jpg

IMG_20220114_113216.jpg

The car looks great but the pictures scenery it’s amazing 🏞🚙👌

• Like 3

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Link is now showing two pairs available for each item.

that was the british car auction site and those ones would have been sold .but there auction cars and need to be a car dealer to get one my buddy was a car dealer he got me mine 

On 11/13/2022 at 11:31 AM, patientbear said:

IMG_20210901_184603.jpg

IMG_20220114_113216.jpg

Love that photo with the circle in the sand! I don't see too many Avensis in that colour about but they are stunning! 

As for the Android head unit, saw this on AliExpress complete with the 2015-18 Avensis fascia surround. It's tempting, especially as it looks like the UI incorporates the cars speed / engine data. On the other hand, I don't know if I'd want something 4G enabled that came from the CCP! haha 

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804494917074.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5ea2cd094qpFt5&algo_pvid=e6624ff6-e94f-48c9-9cee-0230e414ecce&algo_exp_id=e6624ff6-e94f-48c9-9cee-0230e414ecce-3&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000030081169114"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!USD!215.98!114.47!!!!!%402101d8b516684475186221268e3c58!12000030081169114!sea&curPageLogUid=WqMuXpXTrIkB

I got the EGR recall done in February, but I watched a video the other night showing how to unblock the EGR which apparently is prone to clogging? I wonder if the recall solves that or not.  My car was getting mid 50s MPG when I bought it, but after the recall I'd be lucky to push 50 in the real world, even with feathering it. Even on a long journey I'm getting 50 or so.  I have the cheapest dirt tyres on it from the last company that owned it, I'm not sure if they could be the cause? 

I wonder if Toyota would investigate as a warranty issue... probably not? 

Is anyone else who owns the 2015-18 Avensis here planning to keep them until they're done? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SB1500 said:

Love that photo with the circle in the sand! I don't see too many Avensis in that colour about but they are stunning! 

As for the Android head unit, saw this on AliExpress complete with the 2015-18 Avensis fascia surround. It's tempting, especially as it looks like the UI incorporates the cars speed / engine data. On the other hand, I don't know if I'd want something 4G enabled that came from the CCP! haha 

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804494917074.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5ea2cd094qpFt5&algo_pvid=e6624ff6-e94f-48c9-9cee-0230e414ecce&algo_exp_id=e6624ff6-e94f-48c9-9cee-0230e414ecce-3&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000030081169114"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!USD!215.98!114.47!!!!!%402101d8b516684475186221268e3c58!12000030081169114!sea&curPageLogUid=WqMuXpXTrIkB

I got the EGR recall done in February, but I watched a video the other night showing how to unblock the EGR which apparently is prone to clogging? I wonder if the recall solves that or not.  My car was getting mid 50s MPG when I bought it, but after the recall I'd be lucky to push 50 in the real world, even with feathering it. Even on a long journey I'm getting 50 or so.  I have the cheapest dirt tyres on it from the last company that owned it, I'm not sure if they could be the cause? 

I wonder if Toyota would investigate as a warranty issue... probably not? 

Is anyone else who owns the 2015-18 Avensis here planning to keep them until they're done? 

Hi Shane how are u keeping bud hope all is good .that link u sent about the replacement headunit tbh u be better keeping one u have init as its way better spec on it the one you show didvt have dab+ I love dab it's great to chose what station u like .I hate radio stations that talk all the time pure noise pollution talking. Plus about the egr valve and the alimium intake manifold I'd say that need taken out and Gave a good clean also as I seen VIDOES of that badly blocked 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another update... 

Finally, proper glass!

My insurer (Axa) agreed to source the proper Pilkington Glass. With one caveat, that they wanted Autoglass to fit it. Initially I was against it and ready to decline but a few relations convinced me to let them do it on the basis that they'd hardly make the same mistake twice. Got it on today, same guy and all. Told him my issues / requests for the new one going on - basically a list of things to check: glass is flush, gaps even, no residue left on glass, etc. He was quite sound and professional despite how difficult I probably sounded (I wasn't being rude of having attitude at all right enough). He still maintains that there's no difference in the glass that was fitted vs the original, or vs this Pilkington stuff other than the stamp on it which we disagreed on, but it was sound, on one part, I'm convinced I know the difference from that experience, on the other, he deals with it daily. Either way, it was a shiny new Pilkington windscreen. And it was fitted perfectly as far as I can tell!  Very very happy with the experience and result this time around. Hopefully no issues going forward.  The stamp on the new one also has this little 'ear' logo (see pic), guessing this is for some spec of acoustic insulation / grade of glass that I'm sure Toyota would have originally prescribed - apparently they work together with Pilkington (Japanese parent company, go figure) on innovations and things with the glass and I'd imagine they have a single part number for factory and aftermarket Pilkington panels (with the Toyota logo only being stamped on those going to Burnaston at the time).  I'm going to send praises to Autoglass for sorting it - eventually, and for the guy himself for being so sound about it, when my previous experience with any car work and problems being resolved has always been guys with an attitude / denial. 

Whining on Ambient LEDs

The ambient LEDs broke on one door, the Chinese supplier sent a new sub-control unit but it turned out to be the same old problem as the opposite side - the fragile wire we tapped into for the LED on the window switch blew, and the ambient lights without power, on and off. We did the resolution of tapping into the wire that goes right into the motor and adding an inline fuse. But the new sub-control unit from the Chinese supplier is making a loud whine sound... Requested a new one. Hopefully that'll then be it solved. I'm going to do the front two doors in advance, with that inline fuse and move to the motor direct input live to save those blowing.... over time I will buy new rear switched with the LED not blown from Toyota when I run out of other things to throw money at. 

Winter Waxing 

I took the car up to the garage about a fortnight ago to strip the old wax finish with that Turtle Wax extreme wash stuff, the kind you use more of to get a stronger / more concentrated result prior to a fresh coat of wax. Citrus based stuff and you can really see the power when washing. A big bottle for about £12 from Halfords last year has lasted and will probably last me another year easily. I used the Turtle Wax Flex Wax (about £30 a bottle!!!) with graphene (whatever that is..) and the results were quite good to be honest. It was the first time of any waxing when the cloths got too wet or clogged, I moved to a new fresh one and I think that might have made the difference. Hopefully this stuff gives most of the protection of the actual bottle of cream like wax... I fear that's too easy to be the case though. But it gives a lot of shine! The mudflaps are making a big difference week to week on the nastiest parts of the car to clean, the sills and rear bumper lowest parts. 

Panel colour mismatch

Feeling a bit less bothered by how off the rear door looks where it was repaired. That door looks a shade darker than the panels around it. Initially I thought this was a sign of a bad job but it seems to just be the paint colour, probably unfaded as the rest of the car has over four years. I looked at a few other silver Avensis for sale on AutoTrader and some of them seem to look similar so I'm not even sure what to put it down to. I contemplated getting the car wrapped but it's about £2,500-£3,000 for that... £600 for the materials themselves but I doubt an amateur with no experience could do a half decent presentable job... 

So far, it's going fine!  

IMG_1428.jpeg

IMG_1457.jpeg

IMG_1459.jpeg

• Like 6

So pleased to hear that your windscreen issue has been sorted. Sounds like a cowboy job first time around, so AXA and Autoglass had a responsibility to fix it.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links